Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 25 December 2015
I really don't know what to think about this book, it confused the hell out of me, but i really couldn't put it down.
We all know the Alice in Wonderland stories, but this turns it all on its head. Alice is an inmate in a horrible Lunatic Asylum, spending most her time getting Electric Shock Therapy, with only a tiger lily to keep her company. She’s there after killing all her friends in a bus accident. She ends up hooking up with Professor Carter Pillar, another inmate who is also a serial killer. He persuades her that she is the real Alice and can catch the wonderland monsters wandering the country, disguised as normal people.
Her first task is to catch the Cheshire Cat, another mass killer. She, with Pillars help, leaves the asylum during the day, pretending to be an Oxford university student by day, returning to the asylum at night.
The book is completely insane. You're never quite sure what's real and what is going on in Alices head. It's really fast paced, incredibly easy to get into, and very hard to put down. There's hints on Tom Holt, Douglas Adams, and it has to be said Lewis Carroll in the writing. It's the first book in a series and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes from there
on 29 June 2017
What a strange unusual book. Alice is in an asylum after killing her friends in a bus crash. She has lost herself and ends up being used by Professor Pillar a strange man in another part of the asylum a serial killer and capable of breaking out of the asylum anytime he chooses.
A walk in the mind of wonderland and a frabjous read!!
on 9 February 2017
Its a good read if like me you don't really know what you like. Madness. Murder. Imagination. And a fairly easy to follow story
on 31 August 2015
The best book I have ever read. I can't wait for Hookah to come out (4th book). I'm now reading Grimm Diaries prequels. Cameron Jace is an absolutely wonderful writer with a fab imagination.
on 26 July 2015
Brilliant, amazing, fantastic, frabjous indeed
on 26 July 2015
Strange but keeps you entertained wanting to read more
on 30 January 2014
A retelling of the Alice in Wonderland Story. Alice Wonder is in an insane asylum after, apparently, killing everyone in her class. I'm not sure if she is really responsible for the murders and the book didn't clear that up for me. Alice can't remember how, or why she killed her classmates. While she's been in the asylum, someone has been killing people and stitching their faces up so that they have a permanent grin. The killer has been named The Cheshire Cat. In the asylum, Alice meets a hookah smoking professor who also happens to be a serial killer. He's convinced she's the real Alice from Wonderland and the only person capable of stopping the Cheshire Cat.

This was one of the weirdest books I've ever read. The author incorporated most of the characters from Alice in Wonderland but changed things up. I loved the facts about Lewis Carroll that were scattered throughout the book, for example, I didn't know that Alice in Wonderland was originally called Alice's Adventures Under Ground. There was plenty of mystery; who is Jack Diamond and why is he following Alice? Is Alice the real Alice? By the end of the book I still didn't know, I guess I'll have to read the second book to find out. It was a wacky and fun read. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys retellings of fairy tales, or fans of Alice in Wonderland.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
on 9 March 2015
Now although I loved the sound of this book based on the blurb and by another bloggers review of it, despite how shallow this is going to sound, what really sold me was the cover. I mean, just look how gorgeous it is! I can safely say it’s one of my all-time favourite covers. But what about the actual story?

Insanity (Mad in Wonderland) follow Alice, after she accidentally kills her classmates and gets put in a lunatic asylum. In there with her is Pillar, a hookah-smoking nutcase who believes he can prove Alice’s sanity by looking deeply into Lewis Caroll’s life, paintings and books to work out where Wonderland really is and if it’s actually real. Alice sets about searching for Wonderland, saving lives from the Wonderland monsters such as the Cheshire Cat and proving her sanity by posing as an Oxford student.

Now, this book essentially wasn’t what I was expecting when I dove head first into it but nevertheless, I really enjoyed it and got completely sucked in. I’m a huge fan of books which are the authors own take on classic stories and fairy-tales – I love seeing what their weird and wonderful minds can come up with and there’s no doubt that Cameron Jace has a very very interesting and wild imagination. I loved this look into Wonderland and the creatures that inhabit it – who now live in the real world.

You can very much tell this book is directed at young adults by the narrative however I think it definitely appeals to a much wider audience due to Jace’s story-telling and the unique characters he’s come up with – despite them being based on already existing characters! That’s quite a talent to have. The only tiny criticism I have is I wished the character Jack Diamonds featured more in the book however I’m quite sure we’ll see him more in the sequel.

If you like memorable characters, a fast-paced, full of action storyline and a lot of madness then this book is for you.
on 31 December 2013
Oh Alice in Wonderland retellings, i do love you. This book is no different, actually it may be slightly more insane than most. :)

Alice Wonder is stuck in an insane asylum after killing everyone in her class (makes sense), she spends her days either having electroshock therapy or talking to her potted plant. She feels sorry for her plant because it doesn't get enough sunlight. Poor plant. And poor Alice, she's been shocked so many times she can only remember up to about last week and then it goes blank. She can't remember why she killed those people, or how, or all of this wonderland nonsense the whole asylum seems to be buzzing with. However while she's been in the asylum, a serial killer has been slaughtering people and stitching their faces up so that they have a permanent grin. They call him The Cheshire Cat Killer. Alice is warned by another inmate, a hookah smoking professor (another serial killer) that she needs to stop him and prevent the rest of the Wonderland monsters from being released. He believes her to be the real Alice and she can therefore be the only one capable of stopping Cheshire and his gang. However The White Queen isn't so sure as to her identity and makes her question is she is the real Alice or not, or if it even matters? Especially with Constance's life potentially on the line!

I really enjoyed the insanity of this book and felt that the writing style even accompanied this into how the book was read and perceived. I love stories with serial killers and the fact that we had at the very least three made for an interesting, if not slightly weird read. Alice and The Professor PoV's were shown and it was very interesting to see how differently their minds worked in order to get the same thing. Also all the prison staff were hilarious and scared of half the inmates. That plus Cheshire's tasks and the mystery about Jack Diamond makes this a book that you can't put down and need to keep reading till the end. The book can get a bit crazy and wacky and weird, but that's exactly what you want from an Alice retelling and it was so much fun to read. I would recommend this book to any fans of Alice in Wonderland retellings, those that like books with serial killers and just anyone that wants a fun enjoyable read!

Originally posted at [...]
on 29 September 2015
I know I'm going against popular opinion (and the bulk of the reviews here), but I found this unreadable, like something written by a teenaged fanboy. There's just no craft. I dunno if this was some deliberate attempt (lack of craft as style?) but I gave up after about a dozen pages.