Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

on 23 September 2017
Brilliant series.
on 25 October 2017
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 January 2014
There's a photograph on page 125 of this 14th and final box set for "The Complete Motown Singles" Series that will make most Motown aficionados weak at the knees. It shows a lady in the original Motown Tape Library filing master boxes. I don't know if this mythical place has ever been snapped before - but there's a room I'd like to spend an hour or two in. And I mention it because it's typical of the in-depth and lavish nature of this truly amazing series - beautifully presented and full of fan-pleasing goodies.

UK released Monday 6 January 2014 (December 2013 in the USA) - "The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12B: 1972" by VARIOUS ARTISTS on Hip-O Select B0019213-02 (Barcode 602537532193) breaks down as follows:

Disc 1 (overall Disc No. 71) has 22 tracks, 69: 26 minutes
Disc 2 (overall Disc No. 72) has 20 tracks, 63:08 minutes
Disc 3 (overall Disc No. 73) has 19 tracks, 70:17 minutes
Disc 4 (overall Disc No. 74) has 18 tracks, 65:11 minutes
Disc 5 (overall Disc No. 75) has 21 tracks, 69:03 minutes

The comprehensively annotated pages give you all the details you'd want - writers, arrangers, exact catalogue numbers, release dates, session and recording details from the official Motown files and a paragraph on each release (some of which are over two pages long). There are also some of the most beautiful photographs of artists’ ever produced - fabulous full-page plates. To top it all off there are 3 very detailed indexes at the rear - Artist, Title and Label (using the Disc numbers provided above).

A word about the sound quality... As with this entire series - the remastering has been done by ELLEN FITTON – an engineer that I've noted before for top quality work (I've tagged many of her releases on Amazon for a pictorial - go to my Profile page and you'll see ELLEN FITTON REMASTERS in the Tags section below). It has to be said that to my ears - this is the very best I've ever heard Seventies Motown sound - absolutely sensational. Take tracks like Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" backed with "You've Got It Bad Girl" - WOW! Even better is the Marvin Gaye double whammy "Trouble Man" backed with "Don't Mess With Mr. T" - beautifully clear and full of presence. But the bomb for me is a B-side I've been after on CD for literally decades. "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" is almost 12-minutes long on the album - the single was edited down to four seconds short of 7 minutes - but it's B-side is the rare "Instrumental" version at 4:48 minutes. Although it's not strictly voiceless (a chorus line sung here and there) - it is unique and it just amazing. To my knowledge it makes a first appearance here - sounding incredible. Right from the opener by The Supremes "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" - the audio is gorgeous.

The downside is that it's obvious why so many of the tracks in-between the huge hits didn't make it - most are just too ordinary - some just stylistically out of place. But even the unknowns and less than famous tracks have nuggets too - Rare Earth, The Undisputed Truth, The Crusaders, Valerie Simpson and Eddie Kendricks - all of which are ace. And definite discoveries are Puzzle, Lesley Gore, G.C. Cameron and Willie Hutch.

First proposed in casual conversation in 2004 - Hip-O Select issued Volume Number 1 in early 2005 and only now - in January 2014 - does it finish at 12B covering July to December 1972. 9 years, 75 CDs documenting everything from 1959 to 1972, 1849 singles, 435 Billboard Hot 100 Entries, 60 Number One hits etc. I'm missing only the pricey Volume 1 and 6 in the whole series - but I'm so glad I kept up with the purchases. If we get lucky Hip-O Select are working on the 'Los Angeles' years (1973 onwards).

A truly amazing series goes out with a sonic blast…

"The Motown Singles Collection" by Hip-O Select (14 Released Volumes) -
75 x CD Volumes, 1847 CD Tracks Plus 28 Tracks On 14 x 7" Vinyl Singles:

1. Volume 1: 1959-1961, Released January 2005, Catalogue No. Hip-O Select B-0003631-02 (Barcode 602517643310), 6CDs, Ltd Edition of 5000 (Non-Numbered), 155 Tracks, CDs are Volumes 1 to 6

2. Volume 2: 1962, May 2005, 4CDs, B-00004402-02 (Barcode 602517807552), Ltd Edition of 8000 (Non Numbered), 112 Tracks, Volumes 7 to 10

3. Volume 3: 1963, October 2005, B-0005352-02 (Barcode 602517845691), 5CDs, Ltd Edition of 7500 (Non-Numbered), 119 Tracks, Volumes 11 to 15

4. Volume 4: 1964, February 2006, B-0005945-02 (Barcode 602517882443), 6CDs, Ltd Edition of 8000 (Non-Numbered), 163 Tracks, Volumes 16 to 21

5. Volume 5: 1965, August 2006, B-0006775-02 (Barcode 602517789414), 6CDs, Ltd Edition of 8000 (Non-Numbered), 166 Tracks, Volumes 22 to 27

6. Volume 6: 1966, November 2006, B-0007872-02 (Barcode 602517092761), 5CDs, Ltd Edition of 6000 (Non-Numbered), 125 Tracks, Volumes 28 to 32

7. Volume 7: 1967, May 2007, B-0008993-02 (Barcode 602517341906), 5CDs, Ltd Edition of 6000 (Non-Numbered), 120 Tracks, Volumes 33 to 37

8. Volume 8: 1968, October 2007, B-0009708-02 (Barcode 602517431775), 6CDs, Ltd Edition of 6000 (Non-Numbered), 144 Tracks, Volumes 38 to 43

9. Volume 9: 1969, December 2007, B-0010270-02 (Barcode 602517507722), 6CDs, Ltd Edition of 6000 (Non-Numbered), 148 Tracks, Volumes 44 to 49

10. Volume 10: 1970, June 2008, B-0011056-02 (Barcode 602517659209), 6CDs, Ltd Edition of 8000 (Non-Numbered), 144 Tracks, Volumes 50 to 55

11. Volume 11A: 1971, February 2009, B-0011579-02 (Barcode 602517776555), 5CDs, Ltd Edition of 8000 (Non-Numbered), 119 Tracks, Volumes 56 to 60

12. Volume 11B: 1971, January 2010, B-0012227-02 (Barcode 602517876903), 5CDs, Ltd Edition of 8000 (Non Numbered), 120 Tracks, Volumes 61 to 65

13. Volume 12A: 1972, May 2013, B-0012935-02 (Barcode 602527044453)), 5CDs, Ltd Edition of 7500 (Non Numbered), 117 Tracks, Volumes 66 to 70

14. Volume 12B: 1972, December 2013, B-0019213-02 (Barcode 602537532193), 5CDs, Ltd Edition of 7500 (Non Numbered), 100 Tracks, Volumes 71 to 75

PS: If you can't afford the physical product in 2014 - the MP3 Downloads of each volume appear to be only £14.99 at present with individual tracks at 99p...
HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 February 2015
.This is one of my favourite of the Complete Motown Recordings.
Why?
I was 15 and went to the local park/

A set of swings, the local girls and a transistor playing the top 20- Bliss.

But at the time of writinmg Amazon have got the tracks listed wrongly.
There are 5 CDs in this set.

This should be the correct list.

Track Listing
9. Till Johnny Comes - Brenda Holloway
10. The - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage
11. Come Spy with Me - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
12. Jimmy Mack - Martha & the Vandellas/Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
13. Left Hand - Martha & the Vandellas/Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Third Finger
14. Travlin' Man - Stevie Wonder

17. When You're Young and in Love - The Marvelettes
18. The (You Have to Take the Other) - The Marvelettes Day You Take One
19. All I Need - The Temptations
20. Sorry Is a Sorry Word - The Temptations
21. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
22. Give a Little Love - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

20. One Too Many Heartaches - The Isley Brothers

DISC 4:
1. Reflections - Diana Ross & the Supremes
2. Going Down for the Third Time - Diana Ross & the Supremes
3. Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone - Martha & the Vandellas/Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
4. One Way Out - Martha & the Vandellas/Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
5. Steal Away Tonight - Barbara McNair
6. For Once in My Life - Barbara McNair
7. You're Made Me So Very Happy - Brenda Holloway
8. I've Got to Find It - Brenda Holloway
9. You're Made Me So Very Happy - Brenda Holloway
10. Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
11. Hold Me Oh My Darling - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
12. You Keep Running Away - The Four Tops
18. I Got a Feeling - Barbara Randolph
19. You Got Me Hurtin' All Over - Barbara Randolph
20. I'm Wondering - Stevie Wonder
21. Every Time I See You I Go Wild - Stevie Wonder
22. I'm Wondering - Stevie Wonder (Alternate Mix)
23. (Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need - The Temptations
24. Don't Send Me Away - The Temptations

DISC 5:
1. I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips
2. It's Time to Go Now - Gladys Knight & the Pips
3. I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips (Alternate Mix)
4. I Want My Baby Back - Edwin Starr
14. Come See About Me - Junior Walker & the All-Stars
15. Sweet Soul - Junior Walker & the All-Stars
16. You Haven't Seen My Love - Ones/The Ones
17. Happy Day - Ones/The Ones
18. Two Can Have a Party - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
19. If I Could Build My Whole World Around You - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
20. If This World Were Mine - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
21. My Baby Must Be a Magician - The Marvelettes
22. I Need Someone - The Marvelettes
23. I Wish It Would Rain - The Temptations
24. Truly Believe - The Temptations (Alternate mix) I Truly
25. Truly Believe - The Temptations I Truly
26. You - Marvin Gaye
27. At Last (I Found a Love) - Marvin Gaye
28. Change What You Can - Marvin Gay
29. In The Park- On the Swings Stevie D'Or and The Dockers.
on 8 January 2014
I have purchased all these sets since the first was issued in 2005. It's been a long wait for the 1972 sets but at least they're here at last. The packaging and presentation is superb as in the previous sets, but of course the classic "Motown Sound" had disappeared by 1972. I doubt if I will be playing the 1972 sets as much as the earlier ones but I had to have it to complete the series. It's very difficult to find any criticism with the content and assembly of these sets. There are only three things that would have made the sets better for me and they are as follows:-
1. The 1971 and 1972 years have been split into two sets for each year, which has made these years far more
expensive than the previous years sets. This is really only because Motown started issuing promo singles in
stereo and normal releases in mono. These sets include both the mono and stereo versions which are in most
cases identical and therefore I would have preferred just the mono mixes, then each year could have been
included in one set, making them less expensive.
2. Where different mixes of a single were issued, all different mixes have been included. I can see the reason
for this as in some cases the mixes do sound quite different. However, I would have preferred it if the
different mixes had been included on a separate CD. This is because, if you intend to play a complete CD,
rather than selected tracks, you don't really want to hear the same track repeated immediately after hearing
it.
3. It's a shame some tracks are missing due to copyright problems. These are mainly RARE EARTH releases that
were not Motown recordings but licensed from other companies. However, there is also a Dr Martin Luther King
track that is missing and a proposed SOUL release by the Merced Blue Notes that is also not included. Would
it a been to expensive to get the rights to these. It's only a minor point, but the sets are advertised as
Complete Motown Singles and they are not in fact complete.

Nevertheless, these sets are a unique and remarkable achievement and ae worth every penny.
on 20 January 2014
Waited a long time for the final parts of this brilliant series. The Motown years of the big hits and classic sound had gone and the move from Detroit to California was about to lose some of its biggest artists. New sounds from Stevie wonder and The Temptations and The Undisputed Truth (the most under rated Motown Group} spearheaded the 70s sound along with Michael Jackson and Diana Ross The series as ever brilliantly packaged with a single of Papa was a rolling stone in the cover and every song with dates and details about and stereo and mono mixes a great ending to the series. My daughter bought this for my birthday and it came on day of release well done to Amazon.
on 11 August 2014
LOVE MOTOWN... BUT THIS IS AWLFUL
Unless you are a completest as I am, avoid this expensive example of motown dragging money out of their loyal fans.
As other reviewers have stated this is as usual got a fantastic booklet including essays and all the information you would ever need re make up of songs and writers, singers etc.
But unfortunately thats about it.
The music is no longer the motown sound we all love which are covered in volumes one to ten, this as well as volumes 11 (a) and (b) is a different sound altogether, almost half the tracks are M.O.R. the sort of thing you would have heard on the Val Doonican show on the beeb on a Saturday night.
Mostly performed by white folk or light (very) rock acts most if not all never to be heard again, the move to Vegas was perfect for these acts!.
Berry Gordy was looking to take over the M.O.R.music world and he as always did not do it by half measures.
Also the old favourites who were still there were given inferior songs that were a pale imitation of their former glories i.e Smokey,Four Tops, Tempts, Gladys Night etc.
Stevie and Marvin were just getting their freedom to do as they wanted (thank god) but were just starting to show their true talents.
As a previous reviewer said alot of duplicate songs with little if any obvious differences, this and the volume 11 C.Ds would have been better put in one box without the duplication of songs.
Any looking for great Motown sounds get first 9 volumes or the originators of the sound, Holland Dozier Hollands box set, you get 14 C.Ds and pure motown majic.Far far better than this,
I feel I have been duped into buying this and although I still love motown I feel people should be warned........I have never used my skip button as much on a C.D.
on 29 February 2016
the last in the series of a fantastic set , again if you are in to motown then this is a must to own !
on 30 June 2014
Lovely package
on 15 January 2014
Wonderful packaging.
Completes the Detroit years nicely, but the cream of the catalogue lies in the 60's box sets.
Would have been nice to have an overall index for all 14 boxes.