Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 March 2014
I purchased this in the same fit of reckless spending that saw me taking possession of Top 40 - Disco, a situation actively encouraged by those cunning Amazon blighters who told me that others just like me had bought the pair of them together long before I turned up on the scene. I don't normally like to follow any old trend that's going but, in this case, I really was struggling to find reasons not to welcome the two discs that constitute 'Top 40 - Ladies' into my music collection.

One thing I thought might do it right from the off was that I am not a lady. I don't mean that I'm a female of questionable moral stature, nothing like that... I'm a bloke, that's what I was getting at (the questionable moral stature we'll just forget about for the moment I think). Anyway, initially I did sort of assume that the 'Ladies' part of the title was a reference to the intended audience of these forty tracks. Especially with all that pink on the front there, plus all those lipsticks. Not that I don't possess the odd pink garter belt myself of course... and, indeed, more lipsticks than most 'Ladies'. But, even dressed in a flowing gown and giving it large in the pubs and clubs of Essex, I can't imagine too many people ever referring to me as a 'lady'. Well, not unless they suffer from the same level of myopia as Mr Magoo.

Ah, but actually the title simply refers to the presence of nothing but female artists on these discs. Except for Stedman and Delroy of Five Star that is, who seem to have sneaked in undercover without anyone noticing.

My usual musical tastes tend to indicate that I am stuck in a seventies and eighties time-warp, although it wasn't the 80s stuff that drew me in here so much as the prospect of listening to Betty Boo's 'Where Are You Baby' for the first time in more than twenty years. My toes have not forgotten how to tap away to that one completely independently of all conscious thought, that's for sure. Ditto 'No More Tears (Enough is Enough)', which apparently requires ridiculous levels of upper body movement on my part whenever I hear it. Heaven only knows what other drivers think of me, stuck behind me in the traffic when I'm listening to that track and when I've got a bit of that sort of thing going on.

The 'Auto-Rip' extra feature delivered these forty songs to me as soon as my credit card had been stirred from its slumbers. That's a handy thing that. It means you can keep a product like this for yourself in digital form while wrapping up the 'real' version and giving it as a present to someone else. Not that I'm mean, or anything like that... but I do have to tell myself things like that when I find myself purchasing yet another compilation album with 'It's Raining Men' lurking somewhere upon it. Even worse in this case, that song is also on 'Top 40 - Disco'. It gets everywhere, really it does. It's a great song, don't get me wrong... but, I couldn't help noticing a distinct lack of anything by Bananarama on these two discs. Couldn't 'The Weather Girls' have taken a rain check (that's a terrible joke, I'm so sorry) and given Siobhan et al a bit of a look in instead? I'm only saying.

Due to the fact that I am stuck, musically speaking, somewhere deep within the period of Mrs Thatcher's government (that's the revenge for that joke, you see?) I didn't recognise the names of at least a quarter of these tracks. But, as it turned out, a lot of them were songs that had obviously fought their way through all the sawdust up there in my head at some point over the years and which were just waiting to be positively identified at a later date. Anastacia's 'I'm Outta Love' is a case in point. A great song that I absolutely recognised, but I couldn't have attributed it to her if my very life had depended upon it. Oh, and Charlotte Church's 'Crazy Chick' surprised me (in a very good way) as well.

In fact, there are only two songs on here that I simply cannot bear to listen to. 'Toy Boy' by Sinitta is utterly inane and literally hurts my ears. To say that I hate it would be an understatement. In fact, I can't think of a single redeeming feature of that song, other than the fact that I will almost certainly never be burgled if I leave it playing in the house when I go out. 'I'm So Excited' by the Pointer Sisters is the other musical pariah I'm afraid, since it reminds me all too horribly of a romantic episode with my former wife out on the Moors which ended pretty much before it ever began when I became even more excited than the Pointer Sisters and then rather lost control.

The Pointer Sisters may very well think they like that sort of thing... but I can tell you now, my ex-wife most definitely didn't. 'I'm So Excited', great song though it is, does funny things to my 'fight or flight' mechanism when I hear it, even to this day.

I'm tempted to laugh like the Hooded Claw now and give this four stars, based on Sinitta's contribution and the almost criminal lack of anything involving Siobhan Fahey but, given the quality of the recordings, the refreshingly different style of this collection, the price of the item and the 'free' download of the entire forty tracks as well... blast - it's got to be a five.

Even though it DOES feature those blasted 'Weather Girls'.
on 1 June 2015
This is a very good compilation album. It's great to have it on both CD + MP3 and for a really good price too. Variety of music styles from the different contributors makes for pleasant listening. A few of my faves are:- CD 1= Girls Just Want To Have Fun // Manic Monday // Holding Out For A Hero // These Boots Are Made For Walking // Unpretty
CD 2= It's Raining Men // (Take A Little) Piece Of My Heart [BRILLIANT TRACK] // You Gotta Be
on 18 March 2014
Cheap, good buy, very good track listings, I cant remember the last time I bought a cd that contained so many tracks I listen to rather than skip...In fact, I bought a few others from the same collection, well worth the money cheap as chips!
on 6 April 2014
This CD offers a good selection of well known and not too famous women, and is worth the price. It is not the" do all and be all" of compilations, but it is good nonetheless.
on 1 May 2014
this album is for you if you like Disco music all the tracks are good as far as I can see their is not a bad track on this album
on 29 January 2016
A great service and very happy with my orders.
on 21 April 2015