Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 April 2014
Wishbone Ash are still out there and performing classic rock with a twin lead guitar sound. They are the masters. All tracks are good but the opener and last 2 are classics in the making.
on 20 April 2014
A change of direction to some degree but still the distinctive Wishbone sound. Took a couple of plays but I like the more proggy approach if you can describe it in that vein.
The song writing is excellent and the playing of all the instruments display their professional and experienced approach. Certainly one I shall play in the future
on 16 March 2014
I had to cancel the order with Amazon as they did NOT have it in stock. Got it somewhere else eventually. I think 5 stars is reserved for the best albums, classics, and that takes time to realise, but 4 is certainly a good album. It's a real mix of their styles from over the years. The first listening I was a BIT disappointed after the raving reviews as I thought it might rock-out a bit more, but now I am enjoying it for what it is which quite classy. Lots of fluid guitar playing though not extended enough. Elegant Stealth finally gave us some twin-guitar workouts, which the band MUST have known we wanted, so I thought that would have continued more on this one. Anyway, a nice CD, and certainly better than Clan Destiny and the one before. Both pleasant enough, but this is better. Worth noting that Andy Powell actually only gets MUSIC credit for ONE track on the whole album, which is a bit worrying....

Now mid-June and I am enjoying it even more. Maybe 2-3 tracks not that essential, but mostly very classy. No - not Argus but better than some late 70's / early 80's albums. Martin may have been a vital contributor on the first few albums, but not his last 2. Maybe he will return with some new stuff. I hope so. In the meantime, whether this is Wishbone Ash in name only, it could only be that band when you hear it.
on 13 November 2014
This is one of WA's better albums (and I have them all), and best since the wonderful "Bona Fide" back in 2000. The "Deep Blues" track alone should be (I hope) an omnipresent fixture in their live set.
on 10 June 2014
Over the past few albums the band have got their mojo back. Twin guitars. Steady line up since 2007 and most importantly, some really good albums. Long may they continue to turn out great albums like this.
on 5 March 2014
Wow!!!!!! What an album, wasn't expecting this especially after the previous album Elegant Stealth!

10 Fabulous tracks all with a different feel and story, it takes you into another world of music, this album truly opens your eyes and ears to 4 outstanding musicians who work soo hard and still manage to create such a masterpiece! And while going through some tough times and battles going on in amongst the all the gigs Wishbone Ash have created 1 of the best albums yet in my opinion!

Some amazing lyrics, melodies and harmonies. Fab strong bass from Bob Skeat as usual along with Joe Crabtree's phenomenal drumming, some great vocals from Andy Powell, great guitar work from Muddy and Andy which include some very powerful spine tingling guitar solos.

It's fantastic to have Pat McManus on the album and to have his touch on some of the tracks along with Aynsley Powell's input on "Take it back".

My Favourite track has got to be the last track on the album "All there is to say" literally can't stop listening to it, 7.24 minutes of pure musical beauty!

Really pleased to hear Muddy taking the lead vocally on the track "Mary Jane" and hopefully we'll hear more of his vocals in the future!

I really am stunned as to how good this album is, after all these years they can still pull it out of the bag, proud to be a fan of this band who continue to inspire me! If you like good music, this is an album for you and what a great name "Blue Horizon" along with a very strong album cover!

Hats of to Andy, Bob, Muddy and Joe
on 9 May 2014
I've always loved this band, classic two guitar attack with excellent vocals, and this album is no different. If you're looking for something new in the rock world, then this isn't the place to find it. If you've been a fan for years, then you wont be disappointed.
Mary Jane came out as the outstanding track for me but they're all Classic Ash!!
on 11 April 2014
Good songs, fantastic playing, what more is there to say. An album that definately gets better and better with every listen,
on 27 March 2014
The album arrived on Monday and has been on continuous play in car ever since. It gets better with every repeat. I love the guitar playing which is at its usual high standard. Nice to hear Muddy taking lead vocals and Joe getting to play lead guitar! Ihve been following this band since 1973 and they get better and better! The Real Deal is what they are! Well done boys the album is brilliant!!!
on 28 March 2014
I went to see these in Oct 2012, billed as the Elegant Stealth Tour; although they only played a handful of songs from the album they were brilliant.

I've had a good listen to this latest release from Wishbone Ash and noted some of the comments from some reviews, but no way is this better than Elegant Stealth, ES to me is the modern Argus, every album the band makes from now on has to stand up to ES, (depending on how long Andy can keep going of course) and in my opinion this doesn't.

Don't get me wrong I really like Blue Horizon, `deep blue' & `way down south' being my favourite tracks, excellent guitar work from Andy & Muddy as usual and great backing by Bob & Joe, but the guitars on ES are much more in unison and solo's a bit longer, all the other tracks on the BH album are a mixture of jazz, rock, folk, blues.

How many tracks would I take off Blue Horizon and put on ES, the answer 2. How many tracks would I take off ES and put on BH, the answer an easy 6.
I really like this latest release but it's not as good as ES so it's 4 stars for me.

I'm just glad the band is producing great music and hope they keep it up, how many modern bands today release one good album after another like WA, keep it up boys can't wait for the next release, I hope I have the same issue next time deciding which is the best album!!!
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse