on 26 February 2014
I picked this up from a shop in the Azores as I would have had to wait 2-3 months with Amazon. They had it on sale for €310 which I thought was a misprint, but it arrived and was this model. After reading many reviews and getting confused, I will split this review into three parts: good, bad and personal conclusion.
Good: screen is nice and responsive. Mostly, the build quality is good. The sound is great and the stereo speakers work well. The stylus is very nice and when you try it out with Freshpaint, for example, you really see why it is a great addition to the tab. It comes with nearly full Office, albeit without Outlook. It's pretty light and it easy to hold in one hand. The processor is good and although it might not handle more intensive games, it works well with Asphalt 8, which is a pretty good benchmark to see how it holds up.
Bad: the power button doesn't feel responsive. There isn't much click( if you know what i mean) The battery is ok, but no awards. I also use an iPad air and a Nexus 7 (2013) so I might have been spoilt, but I can only usually get about 6 hours out of this tablet. When you first start using the stylus, it feels grainy and you think you will scratch the screen. This might be because there is some sort of coating, but it feels really odd, especially compared to the silky glide on my Galaxy note.
Personal conclusion: the negaitives really are just small gripes. I can now ditch my laptop to go to work. I can print directly from this and it's great to have a full on 8.1 tablet in my pocket. I really didn't think ASUS would be the first company to include a wacom digitizer, but they have done a good job.
77 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2014
I waited for a tablet like this with Intel's Bay-trail processor promising improved processing power & battery life.
For me the best choice of the series of new 8 inch tablets (Acer, Lenovo, Dell, Toshiba) based on that processor.
Asus because good experiences with several other product plus the W8.1 professional + Wacom.

This tablet is still advertized, both by Asus and Amazon; "ASUS VivoTab M80 comes bundled with the latest version of Office and Windows 8.1, Microsoft's newest operating system". I am reading this as an included extra functional feature (W8.1 is fully functional ;-)
If this is a mayor selling feature for you; NOTE that I am having issues with this. It does come pre-installed but I need an activation code for this to go beyond a trial period. And no such code was included in my package, I found other comments online from others with the same problem and also of those who did have a code included.
-Amazon replied promptly and offer to replace my device free of charge. Other option they offer is for me to contact Asus about other options, so I did. As I only need a code (per mail or on paper). Easy. No need to replace a still functional device (with one that may as well have no code).
-Asus only took one day more and they state that "The office package that is installed on your notebook is a trial version."
See for yourself: [...]
After owning the very successful nexus 7, also made by Asus, I had some great expectations for this tablet. I must admit that my initial impressions were not very favourable when compared to the Nexus 7, namely the screen resolution and battery life.

Yet on further use and level playing field comparisons, I find the Asus Vivo Tab Note 8 to be very good when compared to other tablets running Windows 8.

The first think that you will notice is the sturdy build quality. The rubberised back offers a good grip. On powering on the device, the crisp 1280x800 8" screen will grab your attention with great colour saturation, thanks to the IPS display, albeit a mere 188 pixels per inch. This multi touch display is very responsive.

The key selling points:
○ This little 8" tablet runs the full version of Windows 8.1, so you can have your office in such a small package!!
○ The included Wacom Digitiser pen works a treat, with true palm rejection. (Needs calibration for optimal performance)
○ SD card slot, thus expanding your existing on board 64GB storage

Functionality:

I am really surprised at the speed of this little device. Let's not forget that it is running the full version of Windows!! The quad-core Intel Atom Z3740 processor clocked at 1.86GHz and 2GB of RAM seem to do the trick! After calibrating the digitiser pen, I found it to be very accurate, and great for note taking. It is a true extension of my desktop, great for travelling, writing documents on the go, using Skype... ticks all the right boxes for me!

Considerations:
-There is a cheaper version of this tablet which sports 32GB instead of 64GB RAM.
-Some may understandably find that the screen is to small for Windows 8.1, at which point a larger screen offering would be recommended.

If you are looking for a compact tablet running the full fledged Windows 8.1 tablet, than this might be the one for you.
on 12 February 2015
We've had two of these now and the stylus has stopped working twice. The RMA process that Asus provide is hopeless and they take a very dim view of Amazon market place purchases (the seller provided me with an invoice in the end which they accepted). If you need this for business you will find yourself without it for long periods whilst they are fixing it (the first one they didn't have any parts so just refunded - that also took ages). So basically don't buy from Asus as it won't work and the repair process is terrible which is a shame because it could be a decent tablet. The experience puts me off all Asus products not just this.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2015
Quite simply stylus has stopped working, sounds like a major hassle to send back, done my dough
on 10 March 2014
It is completely unacceptable of Amazon and all the lazy journalists raving about the Asus Note 8 to claim it comes bundled with Office Home and Student 2013 - It does not!

I phoned ASUS who also confirmed it does not come with a license or product key to use Office. ASUS are obviously very happy to continue with this critical misunderstanding. What I don't get is why nobody else has mentioned this????

It's a great pity as it sours the good points about this little computer.
88 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse