Customer reviews

UNHOLY INNOCENCE
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 27 April 2017
There may be a couple of problems with the text but ignore them and enjoy the story. Walter is an engaging character and the tale swings along. Would recommend to all.
on 19 August 2016
It is not often that I fail to finish a book, but this looks like one of them.I bought this book on reading the reviews. I do not understand how it can get such rave reviews. It is boring and poorly written. Characters lack any real substance and the plot is tortuous. I usually read between 5 and 8 books a month, more in the winter, so I have a lot to compare this with. One of the reviewers stated "well researched and historically accurate" NO WAY. in the first third of the book there are many inaccuracies, "Manuscript paper" in 1199? "the door was answered by a woman in her maids uniform" there was no such thing, "I want you on the case" - a very modern term. "the King stood with arms akimbo" while it might describe his position exactly the word does not appear in the English language until 1400 and is spelt "a kenbow" the spelling "akimbo" is not found until the 18th Century. These are just examples and I recognise that for some this does not matter but for me it jars when I read it, spoiling the story. IN most "whodunnits" we are interested in the perpetrator and the means by which he or she is trapped, we also take pleasure in out guessing the author. However in this book I really don't care who did the deed.
on 3 March 2014
By PL

This is an immensely readable novel, well-researced and full of interesting historical fact.
Unholy Innocence held my attention from start to finish and I enjoyed it so much I also purchased the next of the Brother Walter mysteries, Blood Moon, and am about to start the third.

Keep them coming!
on 3 March 2014
Do download the sample to have a taste of this very well written 'who-dunnit'- a blend of historical fact and fiction.

The story grabs you immediately and keeps you guessing until the end.

The author has clearly taken great pains with his research to imbue the characters and the settings with as much accuracy as possible, The result is both entertaining and educational.

Highly recommended.

ps There are NO format problems with this Kindle eBook. I think the other reviewer has a technical issue.
on 24 January 2016
Historical murder mystery series are plentiful: some more convincingly written than others. This particular protagonist has much to commend him: an earnest desire to see justice done, a tenacity despite the obstacles that present themselves and a pleading ability to accept when he is wrong. However, there is also much to annoy the reader, not least the fact that he is so often and so disastrously wrong. I will read more of Brother Walter's cases but I do devoutly hope that he learns from his all too frequent errors or he could easily become too aggravating for the acquaintance to be long extended.
on 17 June 2016
I liked the story because it was unusual, in my experience for a crime story to be presented in this was.If you have an interest in medieval history and a sometimes irreverent monk with a sense of humour you will probably enjoy it too.The author was new to me so I may well dip in to more of his work.
on 13 April 2016
I really enjoyed reading this, maybe because I like this period in history and I also live just outside of Bury St Edmunds! It reminds me of the wonderful Suzanna Gregory series of novels about the monk Matthew Bartholomew. I intend to read the other novels about Walter of Ixworth.
on 6 December 2015
I found this to be rather an engaging story, spoilt by the missing words, words in the wrong place and extremely long sentences. However the characters in the book, expecially Walte,r are so engaging, mistakes or no, I have purchased the series.
on 27 March 2016
I really enjoyed this story; Walter is a likeable, if reluctant, sleuth whose partnership and subsequent friendship with Jocelin works well in discovering the murderer. I shall definitely look out for more Brother Walter stories.
on 3 March 2016
A believable cast of characters and a mediaeval murder in Bury St Edmunds! And all while King John is visiting! Looking forward to the next chapter in the saga of the Abbey.