on 5 July 2015
An easy book to read with action at the heart of the plot. Well written characters in the Hollywood genre of tough guys and girls, no consequences to their actions and a few cheesy one-liners thrown in for good measure - achieved just as the author himself says he intended. Good fun.
on 26 June 2014
Nothing wrong with having a ultra-violent novella set in a space station! Just like Die Hard, the action is constant, just as Kyra thinks she's safe, more baddies appear (and get smeared :))

Looking forward to the sequel.
on 15 August 2017
Very entertaining, would recommend!
on 11 May 2015
A bit short. Content was OK but not really very sophisticated.
on 5 October 2015
An entertaining ultra-violent sci-fi yarn with a female protagonist named Kyra. The first thing to say is how fast pasted the book is; I bought it for a plane ride and finished it before the meal arrived! Normally I'm a slow reader who takes lots of breaks, but this is a rip-roaring yarn. I'm not used to Sci-Fi novels with female protagonists (call me old school) but I thought the characterisation was convincing, even though some of the jokes are a little cheesy. Didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book though.
on 15 January 2014
Simon Cantan says he wanted this story to be in the style of the Eighties Movies, well I have to say he has succeeded wonderfully. Its a fast moving story with lots of action and a wise cracking hero, who is female for a change, step aside Arni here comes Kyra. So if you love the Eighties Action Movies, love Action Movies in general or just love a good read, this is the story for you. The only trouble is you get to the end and want More. So come on Simon lets have book two, Soon.
on 4 April 2016
Simon Cantan is one of my favourite authors at the moment and has been ever since I first stumbled across the 'Bytarend' series (incidentally, highly recommended for anyone who has not yet discovered them). The first time that I started reading Hard Vacuum, I have to admit that I couldn't get into it, it was too much hard swearing and violence for my liking. So I laid it aside and got on with reading other books. After a while, I came back to try and read some more about Kyra and finished the book in one reading! Yes, it is extreme, yes the language and violence is more than excessive, but this all fits within the sort of shoot-em-up comic book genre which Simon has aimed for. As with all of his books, it is very well written and edited and absolutely plot glitch free _ not easy to do with so many things going on!
So, before reading, make sure that you are in the right frame of mind, but do read it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
This is an honest review of a copy received from the author.
on 24 September 2015
Pacy,and violent so you have to like your men hard and your women even harder, but that said, the main protagonist was one tough cookie and I was certainly left wondering exactly what Kyra's history was going to turn out to really be - and her future. The ending was too abrupt for my liking and that lost it a star, but I do wonder what will happen in the next instalment ...
on 9 October 2015
... so bad, its almost fascinating.
The heroine uses her "ReadyNet" to access practically something every other paragraph. That's fine, its the internet of its time, but does the author need to mention it every time? Yep, apparently so.
The heroine's name is Kyra. And there's no danger of forgetting that, since her name is mentioned in pretty much every single paragraph, and every others sentence. Think I'm exaggerating? Read a sample and see.
And thats the writing. As for the plot ... oh dear. Super smart mercenary does super smart things to kill half the terrorists and then goes and gets drunk before setting off to kill the rest. And like James Bond-like, whilst killing them (before and after drunk) she has plenty of time to make punning quips.
Oh dear.
on 3 October 2015
Typical old style story. Hero wins out against all odds Plenty of violence and swearing Having said that this was an enjoyable story. Ending leads to more in the series