on 13 May 2014
Days before her wedding, Anna accidently stumbles across her best friend’s diary and makes a horrifying discovery, she’s been having an affair with her fiancé. This story gripped me from the start. I warmed to Anna right away, willing her to make the right decision and have a happy outcome. A good mix of interesting characters brings the story alive, from camp, witty Neil to the slightly dangerous and mysterious Dave.

It’s a lovely, feel good read with plenty of witty lines, warmth and a clever twist that I didn’t see coming! I read the entire book with a smile on my face. Absolutely loved it!
on 17 March 2014
I devoured this lovely book this weekend, soaking up the sun in the park. Anna's journey to repair her broken heart after she discovers that her fiancé is sleeping with her best friend really absorbed me. She is such a likeable character and I was really rooting for her. It's a lovely, sunny read, and I would recommend it.
on 16 March 2014
A great little story, believable and fun fun fun. Think I may look into more books by Jill Steeples, she's a really good writer of chick lit.
on 26 August 2014
Well the kindle sample was good - good enough for me to press the 'buy this now' button but sadly from that point the whole thing started to go downhill. We move from the interesting idea of a bride-to-be finding out her groom has been cheating with her best friend/flatmate, by reading said flatmate's diary, into most cliched chicklit territory. Anna - who must be one of the wettest characters ever- doesn't confront her friend/fiance preferring to confide in virtually everyone else she meets including total strangers. The plot where a romantic heroine retreats to a remote location to lick her wounds is a pretty standard one - (reminds me of the stories I used to read in my mum's magazines when I was a wee girl). In reality you'd probably find you'd entered a romantic wasteland where the locals were standoffish and there were a hundred single women to every eligible man, but this being the most unrealistic form of chicklit of course Anna makes instant friends and attracts the attention of a rich hunky bloke. What they see in her I'm not sure as she is dreary and totally self-obssessed.

Honestly all I cared about was to see her confront the cheating twosome and perhaps even exact a revenge but this takes forever to happen and when it does it is a total damp squib. I think the author was aiming at romantic comedy ala Jilly Cooper but that takes a light touch and the so-called comedy elements here are cringemakingly embarrassing. It's one thing to create a quirky heroine who comes across as a lovable idiot, but Anna just comes across as an idiot. Ending was better than I feared though, and does achieve a modicum of originality.
on 11 July 2014
Inquisitively funny, intriguing , you don not want to put the book down until you know the outcome. Would she or she would not ? When you think tradition has prevailed the classic happens !!
on 10 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book, read it in one sitting within the space of a few hours!

It's the ultimate dilemma - if you found a friends diary lying open on the floor would you read it? Be honest and answer it yourself. In reality everyone would be hard pushed to say 'of course I wouldn't'!!

That's the dilemma facing Anna when she finds her best friend Sophie's diary. She decides to read a page and, intrigued by what she reads, she continues to read it. But in breaking one of those best friend unwritten rules, she opens up a can of worms she is unable to close again.

In trying to get her head straight in the few days before her wedding, Anna seeks solace somewhere she hopes will be quiet enough for her to think about where her life lies.

The people she meets while away are wonderful! They include a couple running a cafe, and a waiter. I absolutely loved all of them. The interaction between them, the conversations, the whole idea that these people take so quickly to a vulnerable stranger, all of it just seemed right to me. I like to think there are still people like that in the world today.

Will Anna decide to forgive her fiancée and go through with her wedding? Does she decide she can't forgive him? I am not going to give anything away. Suffice to say she goes through a lot of emotions over the course of just a few days, and she changes her mind on several occasions.

Whatever you think about the route to the final chapters I loved them! It left me with a huge smile on my face.
This is an author who has, I believe, a great career ahead of her, and I plan to follow that career all the way.
on 19 July 2014
The story begins with Anna finding out about her fiancé Ed, who is cheating on her before their wedding with her best friend Sophie. Anna can't believe the news she has got, though if she hadn't read her best friend's diary then she may have never found out about the affair. Anna doesn't know which way to go, she is confused, hurt, sad and angry. After, spending time thinking about what is going to happen with her wedding, she can't decide so she just decides to get away from everything and everyone. Not telling her fiancé or her best friend where she is going, she takes off without so much of a backward glance.

Anna has no clue as to what her life is going to be like now, as she imagined getting married and settling down with Ed, now she is looking at a future without Ed and also her best friend as well. Not knowing where to go, Anna ends up in a small town that is Hollisea where the locals are kind and she starts to enjoy this mini getaway. She makes friends and starts to think about her future and how it is going to end up.

So, when Anna meets Dave, he is the total opposite to Ed, although Anna doesn't what anything serious with her still not knowing about what will happen with Ed, so she decide to lie about her name. Although, Dave is more similar to Anna than she first thought, just like her Dave is keeping a secret as well. As time goes on, many more surprises arise challenging Anna's future, her love life and what she really wants out of life, even if it means calling the whole thing off.

Let's Call The Whole Thing Off is a perfect book to start off the year, with friendship, love, secrets, fun and relationships that will not disappoint anyone who picks this as their next book. I can wait to read more from Jill Steeples, if this book is anything to go by then it will be worth the wait.

If I had to sum this book up in three words, they would be Romantic, Marvellous and Amazing.
on 17 February 2014
If you read someone else's diary are you just asking for trouble? If - even worse - it belongs to your best friend and flat mate, would you be better leaving well alone, no matter how great the temptation? See how Anna fares, and where life takes her, after she discovers her soon-to-be bridesmaid's diary secrets in Let's Call The Whole Thing Off. Another lovely, fun read from Jill Steeples.
on 14 February 2014
I loved the premise of this novel - who wouldn't be tempted to read a friend's diary if it was there? (Not me,obviously - I'm just saying!) I was hooked straight away, and with romance, drama and an array of likeable characters it was impossible not to be swept up in the story, desperate to know how it was all going to turn out. I liked that I didn't know until the end which of the possible love interests, Anna (aka Percy) would end up with, but let's just say I think she made the right choice. Loved the seaside setting too, which made me long for summer!

A warm, well-written, satisfying read - easily as good as the author's first novel, Desperately Seeking Heaven, and I'm already looking forward to her next.
on 4 February 2014
This is a great feel-good story that smacks you with the main plotline in the very first pages - Anna discovers that her fiance, Ed, has been cheating on her with her best friend Sophie. What will she do? From the off I warmed to Anna and hoped, from the beginning, that one way or another, she would have her happy ending. This meant I could hardly put the book down.
The story contains an interesting array of characters, from mysterious "Dave" to funny Neil and the seaside setting was very appealing. What I particularly liked was that the author kept me guessing right until the very last pages, which of her three potential suitors Anna would choose. A wonderful read!