on 17 April 2017
Worked exactly as expected however in hindsight I probably would have payed more for a premium router
on 4 February 2016
Easy setup good range very happy
on 26 April 2017
Works and does what is is suppose to do BUT....
I don't get the max out of my internet it limits you to 100Mbps
on 2 May 2015
The JWNR2010 is a good little router given its low cost, but not perfect. There are a few things you should be aware of before buying.

I bought this box as an experiment: can a new router (plus VDSL modem) improve on the unreliability of the locked-down BT HomeHub 5A? Happily, it can, and the Netgear does it well enough that I'll probably be using it for the foreseeable future.

Let's get the bad out of the way first:
- As you can expect this is a basic bit of kit. 100Mbps Ethernet (fast enough for BT Infinity 2), basic 802.11n Wifi, no USB port. The admin interface is functional rather than slick.
- With many routers, you can access (say) your "mynasbox" NAS as "mynasbox.home" or "mynasbox.local". Incomprehensibly, Netgear routers do not maintain any local DNS entries like this, with the single exception of "www.routerlogin.com" etc which resolves to the router. So if you run a NAS or other server, you will either have to add them to your hosts file, or use their IP addresses. This omission is frankly bananas (internally, the router runs udhcpd+dnrd rather than dnsmasq) and Netgear users have been complaining about it for years now.
- While you can configure your own DNS servers if you wish, it is hard-wired to use Netgear's NTP (time) servers. The reason is beyond me. Not a biggie unless Netgear goes out of business.
- There seems to be no alternative firmware. Dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato, gargoyle, etc, don't support it. You're stuck with Netgear and the limitations quoted above.

The good:
- It runs cool and uses little power. The total cost of ownership really is low.
- Control! Finally I can move away from BT's awful DNS servers without editing settings on every machine in my possession. The modem even lets you telnet in (visit routerlogin.com/setup.cgi?todo=debug to open up the telnet port).
- Wireless range is decent. I see that some reviewers complain; perhaps because small changes in positioning can make a large difference. This is true for any Wifi router, and worth remembering if you're having trouble. The spot that worked great for your old modem may be poor for the new one.
- Wireless speed is similar to the HH5. In theory the latter should be much faster, but in practice it isn't. None of my devices ever managed connect to the HH5 faster than 150Mbps on either band (2.4 or 5GHz). I'd rather have a stable basic 802.11n than a HH5 with the annoying habit of rebooting the Wifi when you least expect it.
- The key tools to run simple servers are all there. You can assign fixed IP addresses to certain machines on your network (DHCP address reservation), forward requests made externally (NAT port forwarding), put a machine in the DMZ, and automatically update a limited range of dynamic DNS servers (though not my favourite, dtdns).
- It offers some luxury items, such as guest Wifi, access controls and Wifi on a schedule, QoS, and Wifi power control.
- It can also work as a wireless access point or wireless bridge if you don't need its router functionality.
on 27 June 2016
I bought this router as a replacement for an older N300 that had an issue with killing the wired connection spuriously, thinking that it would solve the issue. No dice! I use the router as an extension wireless repeater in a part of the house that my main router will not reach. The two are cabled together, so I should get great performance. But here's the issue: After a while (maybe hours, maybe days), the router just hangs the wired uplink. Wireless is OK, but the wired connection just hangs. Looking on the internet this is a "known" problem that others have experienced. Latest firmware does not fix. Both the older N300 and this JNWR2010 (which is an updated N300), have the same issue. I would not buy another of these, and would recommend you look at alternatives.
on 18 June 2015
I have to reset it from time to time as it hangs for some reason. But otherwise it is ok. Also it came without cable as it was supposed to come with. The only way was to send it back and get a new one, which I couldn't be bothered to do.

UPDATE: Wifi doesn't work properly. Had to connect the cable in the end. Keeps dropping the connection.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2014
Size: Fast (N300 Mbps)|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This router does the job adequately. It's easy to set up and configure and has plenty of helpful advice built in to its setup screens to help novices and experts alike work out which settings to use. In fact, it has Beginner and Advanced mode settings, which are usefully separated.

I'm an IT infrastructure guy by trade, so I know a thing or two about routers. There are quite a few surprising features bundled with this one - most of it will never be used by most people but it's good to know it's there if you do need it.

It's been running for about 2-3 weeks now with no problems at all.

Range is just OK - it's no better or worse than the free router my ISP gave me for free. In further corners of our average-sized home I still lose signal altogether in places.

Connection speed is disappointing - I've only been able to manage a maximum of 72Mb from just 1 room away. So the stated speed of 300Mb is probably a bit optimistic for most people. Still, anything over about 50Mb will be perfectly adequate for most people's needs, even with several devices streaming HD video around the home.

Overall, it's a competent bit of kit at a decent price. Just don't bank on getting anywhere near the 300Mb advertised.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: Fast (N300 Mbps)|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Cheap and cheerful wireless router from Netgear. Looks and feels substantial enough and has a smallish footprint which helps. The two antennas sticking out of the back aren’t too intrusive either.

Easy enough to set up, though I did read through the instructions a couple of times as the first time I’d missed a step out and wondered why I couldn’t get onto the Internet. I tried this in conjunction with my Virgin Superhub 2 and a 120MB connection and it worked well though nowhere near as fast as the Virgin hub. However, it coped with most things I threw at it from YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video in HD without any hassle.

I didn’t find the signal particularly strong but we live in an Edwardian terrace so the walls are pretty thick. I’m sure in a new build there wouldn’t be an issue.

Good, solid performer.
on 15 May 2014
Size: Fast (N300 Mbps)|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I saw the other poor reviews, and tbh this item is a bit, well, lame.

I thought that performance was no better on wireless (same spot, one at a time) on my i7 laptop on wireless. My old wireless AP is dedicated (its not a router) but uses old tech and seems no slower.

The case is a little cheap and cheerful looking, though I concede this is at the cheap end of the Netgear lineup.

The user interface is proper Net 1.0, I know TP-Link interfaces are very basic, but all the better for it. This tried too hard to be high tech but actually ended up looking all the cheaper for it.

Overall 5.5/10
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2014
Size: Fast (N300 Mbps)|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Low end basic router (minus the modem). Setup is very easy as the box states, plug and play. Doesn't require any tech knowledge to be up and running. It offers good signal strength around medium areas. Didn't have any interruption in connection while testing. Due to the price I'd wonder about the durability in the long term however and may suggest investing in something in the 40-50 price range.