on 21 March 2014
I love books from this Samantha. Unfortunately for me I love Joss and Braden so much that I almost compare every couple in this series to them. Nate and Olivia's story was cute. They had a friendship that blossomed into love.
I wanted to see more of them as a couple, they have been best friends for a long time it would have been nice to explore that dynamic.
Nonetheless, it was romantic, funny and steamy and I featured more of Joss and Braden!
on 5 May 2015
Love all of this series that Samantha has written. Never want to get to the end of each story and still can't decide which of the men I prefer the most but if all Scots men are as good looking as described then I'm off on a trip to Edinburgh to find my own !!
on 7 January 2014
I enjoyed this so much.
Up until now my favourite book by this author was On Dublin St. This was right up with that for me it really was that good.
Nate and Olivia are best friends but he's a player and she's full of self doubt. The chemistry between them is amazing and he's a dirty talker, it was fantastic to read. On top of that Joss, Braden, Cam and Jo make frequent appearances in this so it felt like returning to old friends.
I'd recommend this to everyone who likes a good friends to lovers story and anyone who loved On Dublin St will absolutely love it.
on 13 January 2014
i thought braden and joss, ellie and adams story were great but Samantha young has done it again in Olivia and nate's story I just fell in love with nate just as I did with braden and adam I absolutely love this group of young friends well done Samantha cant wait for the next book in this series.
on 8 January 2014
I have been patiently awaiting this story and I wasn't disappointed. It was so good I couldn't put the book down. Loved it :)
on 29 January 2014
Again a beautifully written book, I love Samantha Young's style of writing and just love how all the characters come together in these stories.
on 29 January 2014
A true romance. Love love love.
Well recommend.
Didn't want to put this book down.
A must read.
Love it
6+++ stars all the freaking way

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this book, my favourite of the series. Both Nate and Liv are just awesome characters and together they are ... I have no words. Their friendship, chemistry, familiarity, just everything is spot on.

Liv is insecure and inexperienced in having a relationship, even talking to someone she fancies has her stuttering and in knots. She has low body image issues too (don't we all)but the way Nate helps her with all this is just utterly breathtaking. She also has a fantastic sense of humour, and the banter between her and Nate had me giggling myself silly at times. Saying that I also cried. Nate has issues from his past too that leaves him steering clear of more than one night stands, until Liv.

This book has it all, friends to lovers, humour, angst (but thank God NOT OTT!!) and two of the best and most likeable characters I have read in a long time. This one is going straight to my all time favourites and must read again shelf. Ms Young you knocked this one out of the park. Bloody fantastic!
on 12 January 2014
Och, she's done it again (I'm part Scot, couldn't resist) and whilst I found it quite predictable in comparison to On Dublin Street and Down London Road, Before Jamaica Lane was still a great read and I loved Olivia and Nate. Liv's sweet, kind and fun and her vulnerablities are realistic ones; they aren't as deep or painful as Joss or Jo's and this made for a refreshing addition to the series. As for Nate, you can't not fall in love with him. He may be a player, but get to know him and there's plenty more to him.

With our favourite characters all playing an important part, it has emotion, passion and intimacy but ultimately my heart went out to both Liv and Nate as their story is one that you become completely invested in. The thing I do love about Samantha Young's writing is how she encompasses the real in these books; You can't beat a good escape from reality but I also equally like realistic elements every now and then. From losing virginity to flatulance these bring that. Let's be right, how many of us have lived the perfect romantic dream of flowers, candles and losing your virginity to the love of your life and the man you marry?

A worthy addition to the series and Hannah's story has been set up nicely.
on 13 January 2014
I have very few auto-buy authors, and really only one in the Contemporary Romance genre, and that's this lovely lady, Samantha Young. I fell deeply and irrevocably in love with her writing with On Dublin Street, and she hasn't let me down since. She writes my kind of men, my kind of heroines --both strong and fragile--and manages to create such amazingly vivid, like-you're-in-the-room-with-them scenes. Whether that's a gorgeously warm and fuzzy "all friends together" scene, or a sizzling and intimate sex scene, I'm there. Living it. Experiencing it. I laugh when they laugh, and she ALWAYS manages to make me cry when they cry. Or even when they don't. Even when they're stoically trying to keep their shit together, I'm still blubbing heartily on their behalf. Because the writing is just that good!

The characters this time were Oliva (Liv) the daughter of Jo's pseudo-father Jim, whom we met in Down London Road. She came off as quite funny and sassy in the brief glimpse of her we got then. And she is. But as Young likes to show us, there's always more to the characters and their behaviour than meets they eye. Case in point, Liv is not nearly as outgoing when it comes to men. The complete opposite, in fact. Due to her mother's illness and several other factors, the years when sexual experimentation is normally going on all passed her by. She's now mid-twenties and almost paralysed by fear of the opposite sex, which is driven by her inexperience. Catch 22, anyone?

It doesn't help that she's half way in love with her best friend. Nate, one of Cam's buddies, the known player, has become her purely platonic BFF. How on earth did that happen? Well, we find out in flashbacks early on and it's very sweet and slightly geekalicious. I loved it! But he makes it look so easy all the time. If he wants a woman, all he has to do is go and flash those killer dimples at some poor, unsuspecting lass and it's all over. But again, like with Liv, there's more to that, too. The reason he behaves that way broke my heart into itty bitty pieces.

As much as I loved everything about Nate (and I really did) and I know people will likely concentrate on him in their reviews, I have to give my limelight over to Liv. She was such a fantastic character. Slightly overweight (in her opinion), insecure in some areas but a total contrast in others. A bit of a... I don't want to say tomboy, because that's not really it, but she plays well with the boys, if you know what I mean? Not too girlie; likes video games and silly "boy movies". She was just a fantastic layer cake of entertainment from start to finish, and when she finally started to realize what she was worth and what she deserved, I was SO proud of her!

For me, Before Jamaica Lane was another storming success. One I look forward to reading again and again in years to come. If you haven't read anything by this author yet, well, lucky you! You get to go back and start with On Dublin Street and experience it all for the first time! And there's nothing quite like a first time... Amirite?

5 Stars! ★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.