on 19 March 2014
Simple to set up with easy instructions. Signal strength improved dramatically (was previously using virgins useless superhub). Reviews say it's large for a router but I don't think its that big and fits the space my superhub used to be. Quality of service features are really easy to use and performs flawlessly with online gaming, streaming and while connected to multiple devices. The most impressive thing is the stability of connection speed over especially over long range.
on 24 September 2017
Wifi range is listed as "BEST" - but in reality it is no better than the DG834v5 that it is replacing - and that's about 10 years old.
Now admittedly it's an old farm house, but the interior range is no better (15ft from router through two walls), and in some cases a lot worse (10ft from router through one wall), than something 10 years older.

This shouldn't be the case.

I'd rather they stop using "best", "ulitimate", "ultimate++" to indicate coverage - but instead quantifying what this really means in the real world.

All other functionality is great; easy to set up, easy to connect to, not dropped a connection - no complaints at all. However, other solutions are necessary to get coverage in a house with reasonable walls.
on 24 April 2014
Pleased with the product in most other respects, but very disappointed with the performance of streaming from YouTube, iPlayer or calls on Skype. Tried switching on the QOS for upload and download and while it improved things a bit, watching streamed video is still spoiled by stuttering video and crackling in the sound. I have raised a support case with Netgear and will see how it gets handled. Will report back.

Update:
Netgear had me try a few things (play with the MTU settings, reset to factory settings) before deciding I had a faulty unit. They offered an RMA requiring that I foot the not insubstantial cost of return postage despite it being their fault they supplied me a faulty unit! Thankfully Amazon collected my faulty unit and delivered a new one in less than a couple of days - fantastic service and this is a big part of the reason I use them! I'm pleased to say that the new unit works perfectly with no stutter or crackle at all, and I haven't had to turn on the QOS. It worked fine with the firmware it came installed with (1.0.2.194) but I updated - with some trepidation that the problem my reappear - to 1.0.3.24_1.1.20 and it was still fine.

The wireless signal strength was the big selling point for me. The speed will be a bonus as my other networked kit gets updated to 802.11ac.

I have upgraded my rating from 2 stars to 5.

Thanks Amazon!
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2017
Bought this as I wanted better parental controls than I could get with a BT Home Hub router. This router ( when running the latest firmware ) lets you configure Disney Circle parental controls and if you then pay for a Disney Circle premium subscription you can get information on which devices are accessing what sites and for how long. The connected devices can then be set to have time limits, so after 3 hours of a tablet being on the internet it can be disabled from accessing the internet.Other router features seem very good - strong wifi on 2.4 and 5 Ghz, 4 ethernet connections, lots of good more techie configuration options as well. Got it working successfully with BT YouView box but for BT Sport and other subscription channels to work I need to turn on the advanced WAN option of IGMP for BT. Once on I could watch all BT channels.
on 19 July 2017
I work with wireless solutions and chose this as it gives a good general overall signal with a reasonable interface and some nice features (dlna, file storage, VPN etc). It is quite big, but then I knew that from the measurements and it doesn't annoy the wife, as you can turn off all the lights from the software, so it doesn't illuminate the whole living room as it tends to do out of the box.
on 10 December 2014
Bought to replace my old d-link router which was causing intermitant drop outs on my bridge.
After installing the performance downstairs increased by 100% from an average of 3.5MB/s to 7-8MB/s and that was still on the old N standard. Replaced the old wireless dongle on another PC and download went from 2MB/s to 10MB/S and this was enclosed in a cupboard so pretty impressive.
So far no issues and happy with the range, can't test its wull ac capabilities as still using N on most of my devices, but they all experianced a speed boost
on 4 March 2017
Had issues with previous router and decided to go for this one as a replacement, after getting it hooked up it instantly doubled my wifi seeds within my house and stopped the signal drop I was getting with previous router it can handle 20+ wifi devices plus 4 ethernet ports with no problems.

It also comes pre loaded with a whole host of advanced options like qos, I'm still getting my head around a lot of them but it's very self explanatory but if your unsure the netgear forums are really helpful and the community is very fast to respond if you have any questions.
The genie app is great as you can control what devices are on your home network and you can boot unknown devices seto up all advanced options and wifi passwords.

Great piece of kit would defiantly recommend to friends and family!
on 22 June 2017
Fairly satisfied with this upgrade from my providers option however performance is not that noticeably better. Too technical to set up some of the options such a Readyshare Cloud which I spent hours on and was unable to achieve this. So that is disappointing along with technical support which I found out runs out after 6 months so bear this in mind when you set up your own router.
on 3 November 2015
I bought this router on the strength of many positive reviews, both here and elsewhere on the internet, while looking for something with a bit more coverage than my EA4500.

It is easy to set up and has a good range - as long as it is line of sight and you don't actually transfer any data. 100 feet away in the garden there was a strong signal. 20 feet away, through two walls and a floor, it also seemed pretty good. In practice the transfer rate topped out at 500 kBit/s and was generally about 200 kBit/s, a small fraction of what the EA4500 could achieve.

All was revealed when I recently came across a review which compared the R7000 with the Linksys EA6900. The R7000 came out best in 9 out of 11 tests (but by only a small margin it was later revealed) and was only beaten (comprehensively, they said) by the EA6900 in two tests involving two brick walls and a range of 15 feet or more. Therefore, the R7000 was declared to be the better buy.

No prizes for guessing which one I decided on. I live in the real world.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2016
What a Beast this router has amazing Range if set up correctly I am using this with Bt Infinity and the white openreach modem and it perferms fantastic it at the time of writing this is an absolute steal for £80.

UPDATE

I have installed a custom firmware dd-wrt on this router due to the Netgear firmware being poor .