on 3 May 2014
Read my full review here: wp.me/p3JhRp-bp
Spoiledmilks [.] wordpress [.] com/2014/04/27/review-an-infinite-journey-growing-toward-christlikeness/

From reading this book I can tell that Davis wants to glorify God with all that is in Him. It is his desire to point the believer to God so that he would desire to live for God with all of his heart, mind, soul, and strength. "'The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its desires.' If we desire worthless things, it shows something about the excellence of our souls. Conversely, if the object of our desire is something great, noble, and virtuous, that also speaks of the excellence of our souls."

Davis' purpose is to give a thorough description of sanctification, to instruct people concerning the fullness of the Bible's teaching on Christlikeness, and to encourage people to strive daily to reach that goal.

+ Review
Davis maps out the journey of our sanctified growth under four main headings: Knowledge (chs. 4-5), Faith (chs. 6-10), Character (chs. 11-16), and Action (chs. 17-28), each one leading to the next.

However, there were too many words, stories, examples to keep my attention. I didn't know the basis for why he was talking about a particular subject. Subjects felt disjointed from each other with little flow in between.

I felt like Davis was always losing the plot. He repeats himself at times, and, while not direct re-quotations, it's bound to happen when you write a 477 page book on sanctification. However take out the fluff, and this would be an easier, more consistent reading. It was as if I was reading one long topical sermon where everything is on topic, but the flow in between can be hard to find.

+ Recommended?
This book couldn't hold my interest. I kept telling myself to push through to to the end. Really, I only made it 45% of the way and made up my mind. This book simply isn't for me.

[Special thanks to Alison at Ambassador International for sending me this book for review! I was not obligated to provide a positive review in exchange for this book.]
on 24 March 2014
I found his book brilliant in accomplishing a model of sanctification. The illustrations were powerful, the language used is accessible to all. Highly recommend this book for all believers!