• White

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.74

on 21 April 2017
I wasn't too sure at first but really got into the story and found out so much about how climbers prepare for Everest. Didn't realise they did so many practice climbs first. It was obvious Rosie Thomas had so much experience of climbing and put it all into story so well. Climbers are obviously very single-minded people with their aims and ambitions coming before everything else. I've read lots of Rosie Thomas's books and enjoyed them learning something new each time. Looking forward to my next encounter with Rosie Thomas!
on 20 March 2017
I will never understand why someone would want to climb Everest but this book does attempt to explain it from various viewpoints. At times a rather uncomfortable read (the latter stages of the climb in particular) but definitely a page turner once the story has really got going. Ending not too twee either!
on 15 June 2017
This is a very good book by an excellent author- she really gets the reader right into the story so much that you cannot put it down!
on 2 June 2017
Ist book I`'ve read by this author but really enjoyed it, loved the story and characters and will definitely be looking at purchasing other books by her
on 3 April 2017
Loved it and am encouraged to read more of her. Extremely descriptive and felt cold whilst lying on the beach in 30 degrees heat!
on 17 March 2017
Great story as my son was climbing in Everest at the time so every word was a cliff hanger .sorry for pun
on 20 July 2017
A very different Rosie Thomas novel Could not put it down
on 31 January 2015
Loved this book. couldn't put it down. Especially enjoyed the everest climb part.
on 26 May 2002
I loved four fifths of this book. The story is gripping - the details about the hardships of an attempt on Everest are mesmerising, and having read it I couldn't believe how anyone would willingly try it! But Rosie Thomas manages to convince us of the motivations driving the main characters. She writes with great style and pace, ripping the story along and providing just enough detail so you can see, hear, smell, taste and touch everything that's going on. But I felt that the last 60 pages were a major let down, literally an anticlimax, and found myself skimming through just to confirm that what I thought was going to happen would (it did). It really did feel like a big mistake in pacing to me, though I know other people have thought otherwise. But for everything up to that point, buy it - it's a gripping, well-told story.
on 17 October 2007
This title was actually published in 2000 and it has been sitting on my bookshelf for awhile. I only decided to read it now because my copy has a pink cover, strange reason! The reason being that one of my Bookcrossing friends is doing a release challenge to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness month, October. So my copy will now be sent on to her in support.
I am not a great fan of soppy romance, which I thought this was going to be. It was far from that and I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.
Sam McGarth, Finch Buchanan and Al Hood are the protagonists, involved in a triangular relationship, past and present. It is this relationship that brings them together on an expedition to climb Everest.
I actually know very little about mountaineering so found the detail fascinating. I do find it difficult to understand why people want to push their body to its limits and beyond though. The experience of the climbers struggling to climb Everest in this story is horrendous. I was particularly interested though to read about Namche and the trek up to Everest Base Camp as I have a niece who as part of her travels is due to go there.
If you like a good romance with some drama thrown in, you cannot fail to enjoy this.