Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The name Trail Bar aims to associate with healthy pursuits and this is reinforced by the packaging that says that the bars "...provide energy to your body as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle". Weetabix - who manufacture Trail Bars - confirmed that they do not add hydrogenated fat to their products and, any sugar is normally white sugar. The main ingredient of Trail Bars is cereals of which whole oats are the main constituent; oats usually fall between low and medium glycemic index. Glucose syrup forms the second largest ingredient. Typically 100g of jumbo oats would have 60g of carbohydrates of which 1g would be sugars. Trail Bars per 100g (bar is 48g) have 73g of carbohydrate of which 30g are sugars. Therefore it's probable that the bars have a high glycemic index, so are more likely to give an insulin spike and subsequent energy dip. That's not a problem if a workout burns a 1,000 calories or more as an insulin spike with a protein shake will provide better protein absorption.
on 7 June 2014
i love these bars - they taste great and are really filling. I order the bulk buy as i'd come across them in shops individually, found them to be by far the tastiest and most filling of cereal bars with a relatively low calorie / fat content. Worked out a total bargain buying them, will certainly purchase again
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you like a fruity and strongish flavour that lingers then this will suit you down to the ground. I liked the texture and the fruity flavour. I also like any berries and I'd say the mix of fruit and fibre is about right. I am not too sure if there is too much sugar content involved and that is why I have given it 4 out of 5. Price wise no problem and I would certainly buy.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The new Alpen Trail Bars are basically cereal bars that are supposed to provide an added burst of energy. The bars look like they'll be dry, but the fruits add a bit of moistness and added sweetness to the mix of grains. All in all I really do like the taste and texture - not too dry but not soggy, and sweet but not like eating candy or chocolate.

These bars are perfect for me to keep in my handbag, ready for those days where getting children and animals up and fed means that I end up going to work without having had any breakfast. They are more expensive then other cereal bars, but they've proven to be more filling - and given me more energy - then any of the other cereal bars that I've tried.
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've yet to find one of these bars which I'd want to try a second time. The problem here, as is so often the case, is the sticky sweetness, which leaves a particularly unpleasant aftertaste. A glance at the ingredients list shows what's wrong. The fruit consists mainly of raisins (9%); they are not of the best quality, as the predominant taste is sugar. We also have miserly (1%) amounts of blackcurrants and cranberries; now, both of these fruits have a natural and refreshing tartness, but this quality is thought to be unsuitable for common consumption, so both are sweetened, and might as well not be there, which is why, no doubt, we also have 'flavouring' in the list. 180 calories of stodge.
VINE VOICEon 9 April 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was given a trial of 3 bars to try out. For some reason I was expecting 11 packs of 3 but ended up with 1 pack of 3. I guess that's just as well as I found them too sticky and sweet. Difficult to judge this type of product but this is what I expected. I enjoy the Alpen Muesli "the original no sugar added". So I was hoping these bars would be that kind of thing. Good quality but not sugared to the high hills. I am someone who watches their sugars and prefer not to over-indulge(in sugar) when not necessary. I'd like to try an unsweetened version.
on 2 April 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Packing a snack for the children is always fraught - you can't use nuts because of other kids' nut allergies and raw fruit just comes back uneaten ("but all the other children have crisps/chocolate/lard" etc etc) so these sorts of bars are ideal. I found these less sugary than many of the more established brands, but also with a strong, fruity flavour, no bits stuck between your teeth and a good selection of flavours. As ever, the glucose etc that binds the ingredients together is sadly not great nutritionally, but that goes for the whole concept.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found the Alpen Berries Trail Bars:Big Berries very tasty indeed and to despite what your Mother used to say they are a tasty snack you can have in between meal that won't affect your appetite.

Ideal,also,if on the go,the bars are an ideal size,for slipping in a rucksack or a hold all if you are going walking for the day.

The taste itself is a lovely fruity and chewy affect,that lingers on the tastebuds for a while,after consumming your bar.

The fact the bars are 73 per cent carbohydrate,will certainly give you the energy to get through the day!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have given this five stars because I really like the taste and because this is a great product for an energy boost either when out walking or having a mid-afternoon flagging moment at my desk. They are a generous size and packed with fruit, I love the taste but I do have a sweet tooth. They are certainly not low in calories, at 180 calories per bar there are plenty of alternatives that would give a lower calorie value; but personally I would go for these because for me there is a good combination of instant pick up followed by a slow release energy boost which lasts.
VINE VOICEon 4 March 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As far as these sort of bars go they are OK, maybe a tad too sweet for me but they are low fat and will give you plenty of energy. They are soft and chewy, which is my best kind of bar. They are a bit sticky so if you are out and about and get some on your hands take a wet wipe with you. I notice on the back it says not suitable for peanut, nut, egg and sesame sufferers. I'm starting to notice this more and more on products that don't list those things as ingredients but presumably and made in a factory that does, so they could include traces of those things.