on 17 February 2015
Set in world divided between the sorcerers and commoners, it is the story of a kind hearted and intelligent sorcerer Blaise who wants to help the people of his realm. In his pursuit he creates Gala, a beautiful and enigmatic being, who may look human but has the, yet unexplored, ability to tap into the magical realm better than any sorcerer or sorceress of the day. She is the key to the salvation of countless people, if only she could comprehend the full extent of her powers. As a reader/listener I really enjoyed experiencing the world through Gala’s eyes, for whom every moment is a fresh opportunity to learn something new and enjoy the beauty of the physical realm. Gala is an amazing character who can empathize with both people and animals. . All characters are well thought of and all have their own motives, fears and aspirations that drive their actions. With every page that I read, the story became more and more complex until I was left glued to my seat with a barely controlled curiosity to know what happened next. I like the fact that the story does not rely too much on the romance between Blaise and Gala to keep the readers engaged. The chapters told from the point of view of Augusta and Barson are a fresh change. I do feel that the author could have made the fantasy aspect of the story more interesting and more vivid (the use o…
on 26 November 2014
I am a big fan of fantasy novels, and I went into this book eager to experience a good world, characters and story.

And to my delight, The Sorcery Code delivers on all of these things, and more. The opening of the novel introduces two of the main characters, Blaise and Gala, in an impressively descriptive way. Author Dima Zales describes the scene and the character's appearances in such a way that I was unable to stop reading. This descriptive expertise is common throughout the book, and makes for a truly engaging experience.

One thing I love in fantasy novels is when the point of view switches between characters.

This is done brilliantly in The Sorcery Code as the story is told from the combined perspectives of Blaise, Gala and Augusta. This makes for a more interesting overall story, as you can appreciate the various twists and turns from each character's particular world-view.

This of course causes each character to become more believable and even relatable drawing you further into their struggles.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the book and cannot wait to read the next parts in the series. If you are a fan of fantasy like myself, them pick this book up.

(For the audio version, the narrator (Emily Durante) is excellent and does a great job with characterisation, despite the many male characters in the novel. A great listening experience!)
on 17 November 2014
I found myself completely immersed to the very last page, it held my attention completely as Emily Durant covered the book so smoothly and complimented the storyline to its truest essence. The concept is unique, refreshing and well written. A five star addition to the genre of fantasy and magic. The plot grabs you immediately, leaving no room for vague wording, then transitions into each chapter carrying intrigue to what will happen next. The book carries themes of deceit, manipulation and classism rivaling the protagonist. Each character is distinctively developed and brought to life with their own personality. My favorite characters and their relationship being Gala presented as a passionate spirit laced with a hunger to see, feel and experience the world while renewing Blaise’s own faith and fascination. Listening to the growth in their relationship and their journey to the end of the book together faced with unforeseen circumstances. Circumstances that leads the book to be unpredictable and demands your interest from chapter to chapter. But let me not forget to mention the air of enchantment with scientific elements creating a logical approach in conveying the idea of magic. Overall the book is a great read/listen as the characters intertwine with each other in both history and past, constantly collaborating or colliding to present graphic action scenes and suspense. I completely endorse and recommend this book especially for fantasy fans or the general readers it will have you hooked!
on 5 November 2014
The Sorcery Code was a refreshing change of pace in my audio book collection. While most authors are only writing about vampires and werewolves, Dima Zales and Anna Zaires are bringing a whole new world to the surface for fantasy books and this unique perspective into the world of sorcerers left me wanting more!

The setting reminded me of a magical ancient Rome. The different classes of people were very distinct, with the sorcerers being the noble or royal betters and their commoner subjects, which were those who possessed no magical ability at all. There is conflict and the existence of a rising rebellion against the rule of the magical people versus the common folk, which sets the scene in which Gala, the ultimate sorcerer from the spell world is born.

The author speaks from all character’s points of view, which helped provide me with a full understanding of what was happening in the story. My favorite perspective was that of Gala herself. Being that she was the most powerful sorcerer the world had ever seen, if you had not seen the story from her perspective, you would probably view her quite differently. As it was, I enjoyed her character so much, because you can see that inside she is struggling with her new found powers and that deep inside she is good and protects those who are innocent. I admired her fervor to learn more and develop who she is through real life experience and her strong will to do so, whether anyone else liked it or not. I believe she is the true heroin of the story and ultimately saved them all.

The only character that I didn’t especially admire was Augusta. I feel like she created more drama and conflict than was necessary because of her love for Blaze, but that she was too full of herself to admit her jealousy of what he felt for Gala. It’s unfortunate that she couldn’t overcome her selfishness enough to create a better relationship between her and Blaze. It could have ultimately changed the course of the story for the better. She was and probably will continue to be an antagonist on their relationship and most likely in terms of the rebellion against the rule of the sorcerers. I see a lot more story to come from this dynamic relationship.

I especially enjoyed the idea of life captures and wished that we had something like that in the real world. To be able to not only see what others are experiencing it, but feel what they are feeling as well is a completely wild but appealing concept. There were so many inventions and magical devices discussed that were not typical of this kind of book. The author was very imaginative and creative. I believe that’s what made this story line so exciting and made it extremely hard to stop listening.
Overall, I loved this story and I feel that it was the perfect addition in my audio book collection. I look forward to seeing more titles from this author in the future.
on 27 August 2014
Enjoyed the book as far as it went. It stopped at what seemed like the beginning of the story proper. It felt as if you were getting into the story about a third of the way through. For a first third of a book it was a good four stars. I enjoyed the subject and the characters, it all set the scene for a good read. I was shocked it stopped so early so won't be buying any others. I prefer my books to be a bit more rounded and standalone even if they are part of a series. Was as if someone had written a book and thought this is a good book I'll split it into three and get three times more money. Disappointed
on 5 December 2014
Would you consider the audio edition of The Sorcery Code: Volume 1 to be better than the print version?
Yes, I would because with the voice actress, the emotions were emphasize but I also like the autonomy of reading alone and play with my imagination.

What did you like best about this story?
I like their twisted love stories, their powers and characters. The story will bring you to the magical realm of your thoughts. the story alone is the best!

What does Emily Durante bring to the story that you wouldn’t experience if you just read the book?
Emily Durante give out the emotions in the book.

Was there a moment in the book that particularly moved you?
yes, like how Gala turned up to be pulled unto Blaise. How she can be like a superhuman that's so beautiful, innocent and intelligent. Their first part of the book, especially their first meeting that was rather cool!

Any additional comments?
i want the volume 2 now!
on 5 December 2014
Spoiler Free Review:

This book is awesome.
First off, main characters are male *and* female. Not in the way of the male leads are off being badasses while the females are being the social butterflies or being the voice of reason. Each character has their own way of being able to handle themselves in bad situations, each progress the story, and the males seem to be the main eye candy. This needs to happen more often, as it is remarkably refreshing and I am now seeking other books with this dynamic.

There are four main characters, Blaise, Augusta, Gala and Barson. The shifts between characters are nicely done, and similar to the Unwind series.Initially this bothered me as normally I feel this is a cop out for the authors. However in this book it is necessary, as there is just so much going on with interpersonal relationships and the world politics of not just there being a ruling class but also *why* it is the ruling class. Again, the shifts in perspective are well done.

To the people who enjoy world building: It is grand in this book. It is subtle and *consistent*.

Five stars for this, and I hope to read the next installment soon.
on 17 February 2015
I really liked this fantasy story about the couple Blaise and Gala and the other two main characters Augusta and Barson in this tale of magic, danger and intrigue. The way the magic is made to work in this world is very much making me think of the sorcerers as programmers manipulating matter instead of software, and this to me is a very fresh and new way of depicting magic in novels and gives the authors lots of ways to make the story full of both obstacles and advantages for the characters. For a big part of the story I couldn’t figure out what would happen next as there was so many possible ways that the characters could act and still feel real and true to their personal agendas.

The captivating work of the narrator (Emily Duranté) enhances the feeling that you are in the story with them and her way of changing tone in conversations to indicate the different characters talking is working really well.
After going through this book as close to in one continuing session as possible. I only hope I can get my hands on the sequel sooner rather than later.
on 2 January 2015
Gala, a dynamo is surrounded by mystery and her lust for life gets her in uncompromising situations. Blaise on the other hand, a thwarted sorcerer ex-lover of the very spoiled Augusta. Augusta a high-ranking sorceress together with Barson, who's Captain of the Sorcerer Guards and Augusta's current love interest, tries their best to complicate both Blaise and Gala's life. Passion, intrigue, turmoil and conspiracies rolled into one.

At first, I wasn't really into this book. I was thinking it's just one of those magic-themed books which I have already read and heard countless of times. It was getting predictable for me. To my amazement, the book wasn't anything like that at all. The writers are really creative and with the help of the very engaging Emily Durante this broke the stagnation that currently surrounds Fantasy Books.

What I like most of this book is the progress the characters were aiming for. It was quite relatable. The story line though basic was not appalling. Makes it quite easy to understand and follow the narrator's voice. I highly recommend this book to young readers. I am already looking forward in reading Volume 2.
on 5 November 2014
When I first got my hands on the audiobook, I was a bit sceptic about it. Sure, I’ve been fantasy fan for years, but I’ve read a lot of books by unknown authors to be aware of what I should or should not expect. However, not this time.
At first, the characters seemed a bit simple, but then, with every page I found myself more and more into the story. I finished the book in two evenings and it means something, I can tell.
I really enjoyed small references - for example, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is one of my favorite books of all time. The thing is that these references are just out there and the author doesn’t put them in your face, which is just wonderful.
I also really enjoyed the very special thing about the book - the way author described magic. It reminded me about other author, who did something similar - Robert Salvatore, who’s skills in writing fights are stunning. In The Sorcery Code you can find very exact description of using spells of any kind. This is what a book needs - a special atmosphere.
As for the voice actress, she has a perfect voice for the story. I really enjoyed her acting, both her male and female impressions. Bravo, Emily Dorante!
I would recommend the book to whoever wants to read something new and refreshing. Don’t we all sometimes?