TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 August 2017
This novel pits Nick and his colleagues/friends against a Wessen Criminal organisation, the Icy Touch of the title. It’s a bit of an excuse to get a lot of different dangerous Wessen previously seen in the programme altogether at once to give Nick and his colleagues a challenge.

However, the charm and spirit of the programme are missing. The writing is also a tad clunky at times with some sloppy grammar. More importantly, the characterisation is a bit off. For the most part, it is a very shallow portrayal of Roselee and Juliette. Whereas, at times, Monroe verges on the unrecognisable and appears to be quite excitable. This might explain why Hank is a tad offish towards him. None of Nick, Hank or Renard are particularly likeable. Furthermore, Sean Renard is often referred to incorrectly as a Hexenbiest rather than a Zauberbiest.

Events seem to be set some time towards the end of the second series, perhaps; but it isn’t particularly clear. Roselee and Monroe are not living together yet and Nick is not living with Juliette again for some reason after they had already separated and got back together. This isn’t really explained.

The Coins of Zakynthos play a prominent role in the story even though there isn’t really an adequate explanation for how they come to be in the hands of the Icy Touch considering what was seen onscreen concerning them by the time this novel was published.

The Royal Families and the Wessen Council are referred to on several occasions but neither of them nor the Resistance really play a role in this story. Around the time this book is set it is still a bit early in the programme for much about these organisations to be revealed. Besides, this novel isn’t much concerned with the overriding storyline. Like most individual episodes of the programme it concentrates on a particular story of its own. However, the novel does instead uses other similar type substitute groups that have not appeared in the programme; the Icy Touch themselves and the Gegengewicht.

There’s a couple of sections in the novel set outside the usual locales of Grimm. These occur in historical periods rather than the modern setting of the programme. One in the Napoleanic Wars, another some years afterwards in London 1843 and another during the Third Reich. They are short, but poignant and some of the better sections. The novel might have benefitted from a bit more of this content.
on 19 October 2014
Is ok if you've never seen an episode of Grimm before, so you don't know what the characters personalities are like. It's clear that the author has never seen an episode of Grimm so why he wrote a story on it, I'll never know. The author didn't do enough homework as he got all the characters personalities completely wrong. For example, Hank is not obsessed with keeping his clothes clean and Monroe is a full vegetarian so why would he love marshmallows (not vegetarian) on his hot chocolate? (Yes, I am a vegetarian!!). Also, his description of Renard woging is way off. The author said his full face became a hexenbeast, which anyone who watches Grimm knows it does not... only bits of his face does, due to being half human. Those are just three do many many mistakes. Good story, but more homework by the author needed to be done.
One person found this helpful
on 14 December 2015
I love John Shirley, I love the Grimm premise, and ok, I love the show too. I really thought the combination would be unbeatable, there's so much room to manoeuvre with the great characters already in place...only problem is John Shirley obviously has never seen so much as half an
episode!
The start is good, really liked the Napoleonic Grimm, liked
the way he handled it, I wish he'd stayed there. I can't read it, everything is wrong, I wanted the characters I knew and
liked, I wanted the wesen I understood, the ones who had jobs and businesses, lived in houses. But what I got was either a lazy writer or one who thought he knew better. Whichever it was, I feel cheated twice over.
on 28 February 2017
Now the TV series if Grimm is ending (Boo Hoo ) I am searching for other Grimm stuff an when I was told there was paperback books on sale well I just had to get them.
this was an Ok read but it didn't quite do it for me ,....hard to describe but maybe there was just too much detail obviously well researched but on balance I have to say I preferred "Chopping Block" to "Icy touch" don't give up keep it coming and I'll keep on buying
on 29 January 2017
The plots ok, though a little reminiscent of the last series, (4) But my big issue is the writing, He hasn't got the characters right, the things they say, how they react, just doesn't feel right. Also Monroe does not drive a Truck! He drives a Beetle. I don't know what possessed this writer to change Monroe's vehicle but it's very distracting. There are also some amusing continuity errors like when Rosalie's dress changed colour during the course of a page. The other 2 books in this series are brilliant but this one's hard to get into.
on 25 July 2015
I found this a very good read and couldn't put it down. I liked the way it was presented as a multiple time-level story, which I always enjoy, and felt that this technique gave it good continuity throughout. The characterisation was spot-on, the dialogue relevant to the story theme, which was that the Wesen formed a sub-sect, led by a hundjager, called The Icy Touch, during the Napoleonic wars. Obviously Nick and Hank now have to pick up the pieces in their time, which is a slightly different take on the basic set-up. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to any other Grimmster.
on 17 March 2014
The book in itself was a half decent story but I kept noticing inconsistencies on characters between this and the series it's supposed to be based on, for example Hank (who I normally like) I found a bit annoying at times and he seemed to be more worried about his suits getting dirty than doing some police work and I can't recall even seeing him in a suit...at times I did wonder had the author even watched an episode...Although the book could be read without having watched Grimm, I do think it would help to have watched it to understand some of the terminology. All in all if you get over a couple of flaws it's an entertaining enough read
on 29 March 2016
Shirley has a difficult task - produce something readable for those who are both fans of the series and also those that are new to the GRIMM storyline. As a fan of the series I found the writing laboured and the characters diverged too far away from the characters portrayed in the television series. It's neither a page turner nor a complete waste of time. It sits somewhere between the two
on 15 May 2014
The storyline was interesting; but I kept getting irritated by the portrayals of the main characters from the tv show. It seems that John Shirley has been given a general outline of the premise of the show, but has never actually watched it.

When the author uses his imagination and describes characters who have been created solely for the purpose of this book, then it’s fine; However, Hank is just a stereotype, based on other procedural police shows that the author may have seen; I barely recognised him.

There are other inconsistencies too. I would be very hesitant to buy another book on the tv series from this author.
One person found this helpful
on 28 December 2017
Love it wish they had filmed it for program tho much better than visualising it definitely something grimmers should read