on 18 February 2014
I was transported to another place and time... Numerous ones, actually. Fernley handles intricate plotting with a sure hand. I'm cursed or blessed, depending upon how you look at it, with the ability to spot red herrings a mile away. I truly was in the dark here. But not in an off-putting way... Never overloaded with too many loose ends, but always juggling a theory or two, thinking more than once, "aha, I know where he's going!" But I didn't, and where he took me was always better, more clever, and less expected than I thought. I seldom write these, but I seldom pass a cold, stay-in weekend as entertained and challenged as I was by The Babylon Revelation. A revelation indeed!
0Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 March 2014
A small cylinder covered in cuneiform writing is looted from Baghdad Museum during the Iraqi war and 10 years later comes up for sale via a Turkish dealer in stolen antiquities. This cylinder is valuable because it tells of the building of Babylon and a number of parties are interested in getting their hands on it; namely , alien conspiracist groups, The Vatican, Mossad, American evangelists and Arab groups. The story starts well, there are a number of chases, escapes, deaths and clues to solve but it does peter out about 2/3 in, then pick up a bit towards the end. It's an ok read .
on 7 May 2015
This is a very workmanlike thriller, there are quite a few twists and turns and some very exciting episodes.

Unfortunately it seems to me that the 'Revelation' in the title isn't really such a big deal at all. Having said that, the story does move very rapidly around the world, and there are some very good descriptive passages.

There are better thrillers around, and also some considerably worse ones, but unfortunately, I really can't recommend this book as a 'must read'.
on 21 October 2014
Good story, the sort of plot that I like, where ancient revelations could mean the end of certain widely held believes and even governments of countries. Lots of action and of course bodies before the final curtain - I will buy this author's books again.
on 9 May 2014
I have come to a grinding halt on this book, Can not get my head around it so am leaving it be for the moment. If I do get round to having another go at it I will post a follow up!
on 13 March 2014
Not a bad read, the 'typos' a little distracting at times. Good for a train journey read, or holiday read.
on 5 January 2015
OK
on 21 February 2014
A proper adventure story - there are nods to Bourne, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Dan Brown etc but Fernley has his own characterful voice and he knows how to keep you entertained! Some great vignettes - the BBC execs seem uncannily true to life - and well researched in terms of background material which adds a reassuringly authoritative depth. Give me more!
on 4 October 2014
Fantastic read couldn't put it down
on 5 January 2014
The Babylon Revelation is a really good read. it reminded me of the best of Dan Brown, combined with a little Robert Harris and even Stig Larsson in places. The characters are really well drawn, some of the minor characters would be central in lesser books, and there's a good sense of place throughout. The pace is fast, this is a book that had me gripped over the New Year break.'There are a number of plots and sub-plots, all of which hang together well and the ending, well the ending was surprising, a genuinely unexpected twist in the tale. Fernley is really good on the ancient Babylonian scenes and story - it had me running to check the story of the fall of Babylon. If you're a fan of conspiracy theories, ancient history or just want a really good read, I'd recommend. No doubt someone will be snapping up the film rights, this would be the basis for a good summer blockbuster.