on 19 December 2014
Jason Burke, former US military is taking a step back from the world in his small mountain cabin when his life is turned upside when he investigates what he thinks to be a downed aircraft but turns to be a little more exotic and so his adventures throughout the galaxy began as a stowaway on board a high spec military gunship controlled by an artificial sentient lifeform with it's own needs and agenda. I read the first book in this series within a scifi anthology, loved it and bought this novel which comprises the first three stories which tell of the adventures Jason has amongst the stars.
This is the "ignorant human" being exposed to alien life and technology on a grand scale but who is adapting well and facing the challenges with his own code of ethics and beliefs which allows him to see the good and bad in the people and races he meets on his travels. Without giving too much of the story/stories away you are in for a rollicking good space adventure, lots of good alien characters and technology that is both familiar and totally out of the box but works well especially as we share this exposure and experience along with Jason.
I will certainly be reading the rest of the series and if you want some fun in your science fiction story telling along with heroes, villains and space battles then you can not go wrong.
on 23 May 2014
Some reviewers have called this A Team in space. While there is a little bit of truth in this, it's not the whole picture.
The storyline in this is entertaining enough to make me happy that I bought this series, I kept reading through until finished in a couple of days - this doesn't mean it's too short, but that I couldn't put it down.

No it's not an intellectual in depth sci-fi read, but there's enough here for some entertainment !

If you enjoy sci fi and you're after a bit of light escapeism then this is for you.
on 13 July 2015
I bought the Omega Omnibus after reading the author's excellent "Warship" and finding the sequel had not been written at the time. The Omega books are quite different and I found them a tad lightweight, worth a read but nowhere near as good as Warship which I think could become a classic.

I think the author says he wrote Warship for a different audience and so can't really complain. Loads of people seem to like the Omega books but I am obviously part of his Warship target audience.
on 2 May 2015
I got sucked in by buying a collection for 99p that had the first of these in. JD and 1 other author were standouts, and I'm now up to book 6 in the series. Well worth a try, but beware, it may convert you to the joys of military Sci-Fi.

Good plot lines, excellent, strong, identifiable characters and a dose of humour mixed in with some plausible physics make these things almost plausible!
on 10 July 2015
I really enjoyed these books, and could just imagine it as a film that would easily rival Star Wars. I do think is an excellent example of a good author when you can imagine it being played out as a film in your minds eye. I immediately downloaded the sequels to these as soon as I finished the third book. I can highly recommend these as well.
on 29 August 2015
A 'Space Yarn', and an adventure, but not a high tech. military science fiction story by any means. Am still reading book one of the trilogy, have bought the rest so will read them. I have read MUCH more gripping work from Mr. Dalzelle, no doubt I will again as he is on my favourite author's list. I am a critical reader so three stars is certainly not meant as simply average.
on 5 June 2015
At the end of the first book I felt that he could go in either of two directions. The grown ups way or the Keystone Cops direction. He chose the K.C. route. I think that the grown up way would have given him a longevity that he will not achieve this way, but!!. Still if you are a fan of wham bam action here it is .Enjoy.
on 29 May 2015
Woof woof! I must say how I enjoyed this story. Lots of action, heartbreaks, one, buildings destroyed, CIA told to take a jump, oh yes, very nice. Give it a go and enjoy yourself. Oh, and Roger, dear boy, leave my biscuit alone or our friendship will end abruptly. Enough said. Woof woof.
on 1 April 2015
i just love all the omega force books no bulls*** science taking up half the book the interaction with the group is just great make me smile at the sense of humour among them. no bad books yet joshua i will let you know when you lose the plot or the humour but keep them coming
on 2 October 2014
A good solid book. Never going to be a fine article of literature but it was never intended to be. Characters are likeable and the interaction is nicely handled, pacing is well timed without the need to go overboard and the pseudo scientific b******* is kept to a believable level.

Is it just me or does Crusher come across as Charr in space ^_^