Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 28 April 2014
When I bought this book, I had already been considering changing my dissertation from Richard III to Yorkist resistance against Henry VII. Within the first chapter, my mind was made up and I decided to change my dissertation.

I'm so glad that someone decided to write on this period of history. It's absolutely fascinating and Lewis was able to convert an interesting topic into an enjoyable read. Francis Lovell is an intriguing character throughout this time as very little is known of him. This book gave a possible insight into the life of the man who carried Yorkist restoration hopes for the first few years after Bosworth. There is limited primary evidence on the characters involved but Lewis is able to mould a story around the historical facts.

I hope Lewis writes more on this subject. It's definitely an area of history which deserves more interest
on 13 April 2015
This novel about Richard III is easy to read and keeps your interest. There is a sequel called Loyalty, they can be read independently, though I think you get more out of reading them both. I enjoyed this version of Richard as a person and a king, he seemed very human, and neither blackened nor put on a pidestall as some writers are apt to do.
on 20 April 2014
Although we will never know whether the princes survived much longer after the death of their father, Edward IV, I found it interesting that they may have escaped. I knew little about Lord Lovell, but Mr Lewis wove a convincing story which I really enjoyed. The author appears to be an expert on the Wars of the Roses.
on 27 March 2015
Pleased with this one, interesting perspective on what might have been after Bosworth . Like to think that Richard had all his blood relatives secreted away together we all know he didn't kill the prince's anyway. Francis Lovell was loyal to the end we just don't know when that end came, but this is a lovely idea .
on 3 January 2014
This book follows on from Loyalty,the thrilling novel of Richard III and his demise at Bosworth.
As with Loyalty the story switches between eras,following the trials of Francis Lord Lovell and RIII supporters, to the court of Henry VII and his son Henry VIII.
Matthew Lewis manages to skillfully weave the different tales together to make a very exciting read,the characters are well written and the dialogue is very believeable.I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to the next!
on 7 September 2014
I read ‘Loyaulty’ and loved it, I certainly hope what happened to Richard as he died at Bosworth was true, it would make it easier to bear.
Couldn’t wait to read ‘Honour’ as it was about the ever faithful Lovel... what DID happen to him? Yet another mystery that surrounds King Richard. Sadly we will never know (perhaps) but this is one possibility. I waited to read it until I was in Middleham and glad that I did, it bought the emotion of it all to life and knowing that the Northern men mustered at Masham just down the road was quite poignant... I saw the beautiful countryside and little town with new eyes. It also made me more sympathetic to Catesby, one I have never much liked for some reason.
Every page was excellently written, keeping the reader engrossed...nothing ever repeated ad nauseum as some authors do to fill out the pages. I could hear the sounds, smell the odours and see the fear in their faces and I cried with poor Thomas Stafford at Tyburn.
I will not go into details as I do not want to spoil it for those who have not yet read the book, but have always thought Colchester held secrets - I wonder if this is why Dr John Ashdown Hill lives here? A coincidence or not, I don’t know. I do know that Holbein’s portrait speaks volumes and it was a huge pity that Jack Leslau could not finish his investigations into the bones at Mechelen.
Please read ‘Loyaulty’ first and then this one if you are a believer in Richard’s honesty and justice.
You will not be disappointed.
on 22 June 2014
The Tudor dynasty begins in this second novel by author Matthew Lewis. Beginning where Loyalty left off, the reader is immediately engaged in post Bosworth drama. Following Richard III's best friend, Francis Lovell, the author pieces together a unique and detailed account of the mysteries surrounding the sons of York.

This is one of the best novels that I have read covering the years following the tragic end of the Plantagenet dynasty at Bosworth Field in 1485. Viscount Lovell is plagued by guilt that he survived when so many of his friends fell, but Richard had other plans for him. Lovell dedicates the remainder of his life to Richard's cause and attempting to ensure that his friend and pious king does not become "consigned to history as the malevolent uncle who stole the crown from a boy, his own nephew."

Clearly, the Tudor propaganda machine was more successful in defining Richard's character than Francis was, but this novel proposes an interesting, if not completely plausible, explanation of events that clear Richard's name. Characterizations of the Stafford brothers, John de la Pole, and William Catesby are intriguing and believable, encouraging the reader to take up the York standard themselves.

The story of the aftermath of Bosworth is interspersed with a side plot taking place during the reign of Henry VIII, the usurper Henry Tudor's son. With Hans Holbein returning to the scene, he is once again asked to secretly protect the truth about the York remnant. But what is the truth?

This novel is an interesting historical what-if that leaves the reader wishing that things could have turned out differently. If only certain schemers had not been so successful, some been less trusting of others' honor, and key figures not driven by personal vainglory. Could things have turned out different for the boys of York?

Though Richard III lies dead at the beginning of this novel, his spirit lives on in this novel through the many who still love him and are loyal to his memory. For this author's excellent novelization of Richard's life, pick up his first book, Loyalty.
on 14 November 2014
Following on from Loyalty, this was another absolute page turner. It combined the events post Bosworth with the dark world of intrigue and conspiracy during the reign of Henry the eighth. It introduced further characters, such as Thomas Cromwell and Henry Norris.
Throughout the book it moves from one era to another and unlike some books where you have no idea where you are, this was incredibly easy to understand and worked seamlessly.
If you are a fan of historical writing and have an interest in the period from the Cousins war to Henry the Eighth then this is definitely the book for you. You will inevitably look up Hans Holbein's works, which is never a bad thing.
on 15 August 2014
From the start of this book, the author portrays lovell,s grief at the loss of his king, and friend Richard so touchingly that it brought a lump to my throat, if I hadn't been traveling on a train, I think I would have cried.
Such a beautifully written story, the characters and the plots hold you right to the end.looking forward to the third book

on 29 April 2014
The sequel to Loyalty, Matt Lewis's tale of the rise and fall of Richard III, immediately engages the reader with an empathy for Richard and those close to his cause. The shifting timeline between the post-Bosworth confusion and the tense court of Henry VIII serves to remind the reader of the long-term impacts of the political turmoil that was the Wars of the Roses. Lewis's skill in creating imagery and depth of character is phenomenal, especially as he is able to manage this whilst maintaining momentum in the story-telling. Eagerly awaiting the next instalment