on 20 December 2013
I really don't know where ONE of the reviewers is coming from, but each to their own........All I have to say is that this makes me feel like I did the first time I heard Burial. I listen to a lot of Electronica and this, in my opinion, is one of the most forward thinking, complex, dazzling and down right awesome releases I have had the pleasure of listening to. This smacked me square between the ears and did not stop. The layers are unimaginable and the talent is mind blowing. YOU NEED THIS.
on 10 May 2014
I love this EP- in my opinion this encompasses all the best bits of Burial. The breezy beats, darkness, euphoria, happiness, sadness and melancholy all rolled into one. Each track is like a journey (particularly Rival Dealer and Come Down To Us). I once read an interview with Burial describing what he aims to achieve with his music...
"“The sound that I’m focused on is more, you know, when you come out of a club and there’s that echo in your head of the music you just heard…I love that music, but I can’t make that club sort of stuff…but I can try and make the afterglow of that music. You know what I mean…it’s like people after a club and they’re sitting around or playing Playstation and stuff, still listening to the echo of their night out in their heads. Or when you walk down the stairs into a club and you start hearing the music, but there’s people talking around you and the music mixes itself in with real life. I like that sound…it’s like a memory of a tune."
This is the perfect description of the Rival Dealer EP; beats ebb in and out, snippets of conversation are heard, sometimes clear, sometimes barely audible, haunting vocal lines groan out from the speakers evoking a range of emotions from the listener.
Dim the lights, put this on a decent stereo and zone out. Perfect.
on 28 February 2014
This is Extra Extra ordinary in the true sense of the words. I'm long time electronic music writer and producer also play Classical Piano and Violin. What this does artist produces musical convention - I know its only my humble opinion but he realy is something special. He raises the bar everytime. I just wonder where he will go next.

Transcendent
on 1 April 2014
If you like music you will like this, no one releases anything quite like this, totally unique. Some are saying Burial has taken it in a new direction but to me its just another sublime listening experience.
on 16 December 2013
I've listened to this EP a good few times now, and it is easily the best thing I've heard from Burial. However, saying that, I never understood the apotheosis of him by some people. I've liked liked most of his output to some degree but I felt he was nothing special, decidedly average even, among the plethora of electronic music producers, but this release has piqued my interest in a few ways.

Firstly, this is Burial really grasping the concept of reappropriation and running with it. It's more like something James Ferraro would produce only it's much more optimistic than Ferraro's last album (NYC Hell 3:00AM). This EP sounds like Burial has been listening to a lot of DIS mag mixes, some vaporwave kind of stuff or possibly John Hughes films. It shares many of the same ideas of reappropriating 'cheesy' signifiers, such as trancy synths, 80's power ballad drums, overtly auto-tuned vocals, GM-esque synth presets and sentimental chord progressions, although personally I must listen to too much 'cheesy' music (HI NRG, New Age, Smooth Jazz, Eurodisco, Handbag house etc) as I don't find these tracks 'cheesy' in the slightest; they are probably just too direct and unsubtle for some people. I can understand people might equate these effects to distill emotion in the the listener as trite or schmaltzy, but isn't this a fault of the audience being unable to remove cultural baggage, and therefore enable enjoyment of the music.

Secondly, (and this is something I respect Burial for) is that he is willing to ask a lot of his core fan base to stick with him. The last two tracks on the album are not what many of his fans would normally choose to listen to (I'm sure a lot would quickly dismiss it without the attachment to Burial) and yet it will bring in a new crop of fans (me for one). It's a bit of a Dylan going electric moment. Divisive now, but in years to come it will seem as natural progression as any. It still retains enough of his trademark elements to be distinguishable but delightfully augments them by adding some playfulness to the po-facedness.

This review doesn't take into account his use of vocal samples and their relevance but I'll leave that to other reviewers, as my main interest lies in the sounds, not any underlying message.

It's not an earth-shattering masterpiece, but I find it an arrestingly beautiful EP at points, and more importantly a great kindling for debate.
on 15 February 2014
Every so often, I hear something that stands out from the mediocre. Thick, dark, dystopian, underground. These are the words that spring to mind every time I hear this guy's music, an original melding of trip-hop, house and dubstep that really takes the breath away. What more can I add?
on 5 June 2014
Brilliant composition.. Cannot and never will stop listening to Burial music... Fantastic. Relaxed style but still has a weight in the sound and one of the most unique vocal style arrangements I've ever heard...
Where on earth did Burial get the idea for this? "Rival Dealer", not "Get Lucky", is the single of 2013 but it has almost certainly intentionally been released after publication of nearly all of the so-called end of year charts.

Complex and layered and, as with Burial's more recent work, it seems to have tracks within tracks. A lesser artist would probably have spun this out to an LP's worth of material.

Feelings of muted anger, giving way to sadness and rejection - but it is not a depressing listen.

There's a sense of optimism that underscores the whole of the EP. Think Goldie's "Inner City Life" and A Guy Called Gerald's "Black Secret Technology", but Burial is not a copyist, these are just reference points.

The record progresses in an almost symphonic manner. The opening track is, for this artist, one of his more up-tempo numbers. These beats then make way to ambience. Maybe the ambience of a Saturday night in alone, watching mainstream music on the TV because there's nothing else to do. Incredibly, it seems that Burial has written his own X-Factor/Rihanna/Celine Dion/80s-type pop records for incorporation into the pieces and made them sound like samples. I can't say I've ever heard anything quite like this before.

A benchmark release I think.
on 16 June 2015
Having heard Burial for the first time on the BBC film Bitter Lake, I ordered this CD the same day. The track 'Come down to us' blew me away. Normally listening to jazz and classical, Burial has revived my interest in British electronic music. Its a full pan of chips so your getting a bargain.
on 27 December 2013
I'm loving the EPs Burial is producing, he's obviously spending a ridiculous amount of time creating three superb tracks and it shows. He has ideas aplenty but the way everything fits together and the general quality is what really sets it apart.