on 18 October 2013
As good as, actually even better than Buddha's Brain. Rick Hanson is doing an amazing job at bridging the gap between cognitive neuroscience and 'normal' people. Read this if you want encouragement and motivation to practice meditation/mindfulness. Although not all claims are rigorously tested (although no doubt the claims are true) this book not only evokes more research it brings the power of mindfulness into the public domain. Rick rocks!
on 18 December 2013
When I ordered this book, Hardwiring Happiness, from Amazon, I just knew I'd enjoy it having previously appreciated Rick Hanson's CDs. Anything written or recorded by Dr. Hanson is beautifully researched and delightfully informative. His words of wisdom and gifted presentation are excellent.
on 2 May 2015
I agree with the reviews that say this book is repetitive. Dr Rick gives endless, subtle variations on the same basic theme, and it's easy to get lost as to how the chapter you're reading is making a different point from the one before. However, his basic ideas are very interesting: simple, realistic and effective. He really does demonstrate how you can hardware happy feelings into your brain. I'm still ploughing through the Kindle edition. Maybe it would be easier to read in paperback? One saving grace is that he offers a very succinct summary of each chapter. Am focussing on my feeling of gratitude for this, and letting it sink into my brain...;-)
on 2 June 2015
This book explains our natural tendencies to negative thoughts and how some people are more susceptible than others. It also explains how you can change that around and move away form those thoughts which hold you back. Great book.
on 19 August 2014
Awesome book. I am recommending it to everyone. I think this is a life changing book and one of the best I've come across (and I've read a few..). The techniques are accessible to everyone and you don't need a lot of time or effort. I also think the science seems accurate and it corresponds well to my experience of life. I'm finding the book especially good for stress reduction. It would also be great for loneliness as well as increasing happiness in general, of oneself and others.
on 19 April 2016
This book is full of great solid advice on how to amplify the positive feelings and experiences in your life. I have been using its techniques regularly and it's terrific how the feelings about bad experiences gradually fade simply by increasing the focus on the good stuff.
on 22 June 2014
I can't overstate how important this book is and the difference it has made to me, as someone who ruminates and worries constantly, seemingly without control or reason, the exercises this book promotes has been invaluable in bettering my mental health. Using the HEAL method and linking positive experiences to negative ones and "weeding" out negativity I'm really noticing the difference. I would say it also highlights the work I need to do as I just don't hold onto positivity. I think this along with Mindfulness which it crosses over with, should be taught in schools as a basic and the world would be a better place.
on 2 May 2014
I was disappointed with this book. Although it had some good points, and some people may find it useful, it was very repetitive, and the explanations and examples were drawn out. It could be condensed into a four page magazine article.
on 20 April 2014
Very wordy book. Wished he would get to the point more quickly. Probably has some wonderful positive tips but I lost interest before I finished. Maybe I'lll come back to it later. Was recommended by a friend.
on 12 November 2013
I have always liked Rick Hanson's Just One Thing-his JOTS and this is an excellent addition. He writes with humour, and humility and although American in style it is sincere and helpful.