Customer reviews

1,420
Format: Blu-ray|Change

Having already bought/watched (and reviewed !) 'Captain America: The First Avenger' on 3D Blu-ray and been impressed with the character, but slightly under whelmed by the 3D presentation, I was still keen to see how things developed for this 'Avengers' personality. I'd also seen 'Iron Man', 'Avengers Assemble', 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and 'Deadpool' in 2D on Blu-ray and enjoyed all of them.

Not being an Avengers aficionado, whilst I had also already seen 'Avengers Assemble' it was BEFORE 'Captain America: The First Avenger' (they were released the other way around) so by the time I got around to this viewing experience I had forgotten some of the plot detail from 'Assemble', which is quite pertinent to this 2nd 'Captain America' film of the 'sub-series'.

Unfortunately, this error on my part did make appreciating all the plot/character aspects of 'The Winter Soldier' a little tricky, as almost every facet of this film was for me on the 'heavy' side (arguably TOO heavy) so my viewing experience did get a little muddled by trying to keep up with all the action/dialogue....

Add the copious action scenes onto all that plot and it means I'm really going to have to have to re-visit this chunk of the Avengers series and view in the right order, as that way I should be more able to fully appreciate that 'The Winter Soldier' is what I think it in reality is - a VERY superior action film, presented very well in 3D HD with only a few pitfalls.

[Although relevant, I think that's it less important that I STILL haven't seen the Avengers films 'Iron Man 3' and 'Thor: The Dark World', both of which also precede this film...!]

Having said that, as 'The First Avenger' was fresh in my memory it DID mean that the Captain America aspects in this movie were more readily appreciated and understood.

As hinted at, the Captain America plot details in this movie are not just related to what was 'introduced in 'The First Avenger' but also the Avengers 'world' as a whole, meaning we get a VERY thick plot 'sandwich' involving more personal Captain America issues, a previously seen main 'adversary', some new Avengers characters and a reprise for some previously seen ones....

Add the driving factors of conspiracy, subversion, betrayal and attempts at world-dominance to flavour all that occurs in 'The Winter Soldier' and the final ingredient of a heap load of fight/combat scenes makes this one VERY eventful action flick !

A warning - it might be short, but if you read the Amazon synopsis for this film it will spoil things as it reveals too much.

So, despite being a little confused by all the goings-on I still enjoyed the numerous details of the storyline and, again, ultimately found the whole film a good watch. The copious action scenes were well presented and the production-values ensured that the CGI wasn't overly artificial-looking.

The lead-cast is massive and nobody particularly stood-out as giving a superior performance, all were 'just' competent. My only other small gripe was that I was often reminded of the 'Bane' character from 'The Dark Knight Rises' film whenever I saw the Winter Soldier....

On 3D Blu-ray (viewed on a 4K/UHD resolution TV) the film looks great and whilst it was only the 3rd I'd watched in 3D, that (post converted) aspect still didn't impress me as much as I was hoping BUT it was suitably active and didn't present any picture flaws; I did notice some depth to the image but more noticeable were the almost 'cartoon' like images that appeared rather too often instead, in contrast to the 3D 'fly out' effects which were present in 'The First Avenger'. Maybe that pending second viewing to more properly appreciate the plot will reveal a greater appreciation for the 3D aspects.....?

*** My feelings about the 3D are significant because I've since watched several more 'normal' movies in 3D (eg 'Max Max Fury Road') and I felt some weren't very effective, but 'Fury Road' was very good, and I also found presentation issues - most notably with 'Captain America: Civil War'. In contrast, ALL the animation films I've watched in 3D have been exceptional.

The DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack was clear and active.

Like most big features the 3D version is on a dedicated disc with no extras, so you also get the 2D disc (the one sold separately) to include the standard Blu-ray bonus material. The notable extras consist of a director's commentary and a selection of featurettes (a smaller selection compared to 'The First Avenger', running time barely 14mins) and some deleted scenes.

So, like it's predecessor I found 'The Winter Soldier' to be well-made BUT less entertaining, not just because the plot was more intense/confusing but also because everything is more slanted towards various aspects of conflict than characterisation; however, I still felt the personality of Steve Rogers/Captain America coming through.

I didn't find the 3D THAT exceptional but definitely noticed some 3D aspects (not all good) BUT am hopeful that opinion might be more positive on a repeat-viewing when the plot intricacies will be less of an imposition to my viewing; the picture is thankfully free of fault, unlike some other 3D releases. The extras count on the included 2D is OK, but it is a pity that you have to watch in 2D to hear the commentary.
on 4 April 2017
A real rollercoaster of a film. Also we have the Falcon and another new character, the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. The plot is a kind of post- Cold War thriller. With first the death of Nick Fury and then a new super-hero, the Falcon. I recall the Falcon was originally a half native American. In this version he has reverted to afro American. The other character who partnered Cap America, was Luke Cage, The Power man. So it seems that Marvel is reinventing so of its character, Nick Fury was originally a black soldier turned secret agent. Then he was sudden turn white(I suspect due to Network demands for tv) and now he is black again been played by Samuel Jackson as if he was born to play the role. However, this remains my favourite marvel recreation as it bring out a more rounded and updated version of Cap America. However, I do miss the Red Skull and his villainous henchmen. So well done Marvel and Captain America.
'
S.H.I.E.L.D' becomes compromised by an old enemy, 'Nick Fury' with no-one else he can trust turns to 'Captain America' (Chris Evans) to step up again,
Mankind itself could be at risk if the subversive organization get the upper-hand.
'Captain America' will need help from 'Natasha(Black Widow)Romanoff' (Scarlett Johansson)
Have 'S.H.I.E.L.D' turned on it's own ? Agent 'Nick Fury' (Samuel L Jackson) is pursued barely escaping, pursued again and left for dead.
'The Captain' and 'Natasha' have a formidable enemy in 'Hydra' who have a powerful weapon
in the shape of 'The Winter Soldier' (Sebastian Stan) the deadliest enemy the 'Captain' has had to
face.
It seems that those at the very top of 'S.H.I.E.L.D' including 'Alexander Pierce'(Robert Redford)have an agenda that has very little to do with the organisation they front, in fact, completely the opposite, as is demonstrated as 'Captain America' and 'Black Widow' are a target to be eliminated leaving no-one to stop 'Hydra' from imposing it's will.
The 'Captain' and 'Natasha' are joined in their quest by former war-veteran 'Sam Wilson' (The Falcon) (Anthony Mackie) the question is, have they met their match ?
The Three may need a guardian-angel to enable them continue the fight, a fight that's still to come..
'Hydra' are planning to use 'S.H.I.EL.D's' high-tech weaponry to fulfill it's evil intent, can the 'Captain' 'Black Widow' and 'Falcon' stop 'Hydra' with the help of the trusted and informed 'S.H.I.E.L.D' members, and will once friend of 'Captain America' - 'Bucky Barnes' (The Winter Soldier) remember the friendship they once shared ?
Thrills and spills a plenty in this action-packed, special effects spectacular.....superbly entertaining !!!
A must see, whether on 3-D - Blu-ray - or DVD.
Great picture and sound quality throughout (Superb 3-D)
Special Features - (In HD picture and sound)
* Commentary by 'Joe and Anthony Russo' and 'Christopher Marcus' and 'Stephen Mcfeely'
* Gag Reel
* Deleted Scenes : In pursuit of Captain America, Hill and Sitwell Talk Loyalty, Nick Fury's Circle,
Widow reveals her past.
* Featurette : on the front line : inside look at Captain America's Battlegrounds, on-set with Anthony
Mackie : Cut the Check, Steve Roger's notebook.
on 25 June 2017
One of my favourite marvel films, best of all the captain America series at least. Was one of those films where I thought to myself "what a great film" after it was finished. Not watched it in 3d yet so looking forward to it :)
on 13 July 2017
This is the best of the Captain America series. Thoroughly enjoyable with plenty of action and also nice to see the hero meet a capable nemesis. Also there is an emotional bond between opponents which adds a twist to the plot.
on 19 November 2014
Could be the best Marvel movie yet, great casting, great acting, not just a green screen fight fest, this is a well thought out thriller that gets better on a second viewing, the 3d is superb but doesn't really add anything to the movie.. Great stuff..
on 31 March 2017
One of the best in the marvel cinematic universe at the moment! Is a must have for any marvel fan!
on 28 August 2014
such a surprise....bloody brilliant!! it's not often that the original is bested by a sequel but this one definitely does it!!!
Definitely helped watching the first film & Avengers Assemble again...but any excuse to re-watch the Marvel movies works for me,lol
on 13 June 2017
My favourite Marvel hero and this is my favourite film. Lots of action.
on 7 July 2017
EXCELLENT second outing for Captain America. My favourite Marvel film.