1,338
Format: DVD|Change

Another superhero movie from Marvel studios, this is a sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger [DVD].

It takes place after the events of Marvel's Avengers Assemble [DVD]. Familiarity with both movies will help, as you might be a bit lost in the story otherwise. But if you're reading this you've doubtless seen both those films, so that shouldn't be a problem.

This is somewhat loosely based on Captain America: Winter Soldier:, a Captain America comic story from a few years back. You won't need to have read that to get into this though.

Steve Rogers [Chris Evans] is working for S.H.I.E.L.D. as they attempt to deal with evil forces. As a decent opening sequence shows you. A scene that contains one good surprise for those who know their Marvel comics continuity. He's also working closely with Black Widow [Scarlett Johansson].

But for a man from a time of simple virtues and an age when it was easy to tell the good guys and the bad guys apart, the modern world is still something he's got to get used to.

He may not get the chance. When uncovering a conspiracy leaves him wanted and on the run. On top of all of S.H.I.E.L.D. being after him, there's also a mysterious assassin to contend with...

This is one of the best movies to come from this studio to date. And very much five star material. In addition to having decent action, humour and character drama, it scores highly because it's a little different to all the other superhero movies. It's not just an action fest. It's a spy drama and conspiracy thriller, and in that respect is very reminiscent of certain classics of that genre from the 1970's. Keeping the viewer on the edge of their seat with a plot that twists and turns and contains a lot of surprises.

Which they most certainly are. Because the status quo of things at the end of the film is totally different from at the start. And it's not a hoax, a dream or an imaginary story. It contains plot developments that impact the Marvel cinema universe as a whole. Making for exciting storytelling.

Chris Evans is a superb lead. Also ably supported by Scarlett Johansson, as the two share a good amount of screen time and have an excellent chemistry together.

The Winter Soldier character doesn't quite figure as much as you would expect, but they are there for a reason that will become apparent.

It's a bit of a shame that the film does falter slightly in the final quarter, when it moves away from the exciting conspiracy drama to go big action blockbuster finale instead. Whilst a decent finale, it doesn't feel as if it offers anything that new. But that's the only complaint about an excellent film that really succeeds in doing what it sets out to do.

Keep watching during the end credits for two extra scenes. One in the middle and one right at the end.

The dvd has the following language and subtitle options:

Languages: English, Hindi, Telegu, Tamil.

Subtitles: English, Danish, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish.

The disc begins with one trailer, which can be skipped via the next button on the dvd remote.

There are just two extras:

Steve Roger's notebook: a two minute feature all about Steve's notebook, which you see in the film he uses to record things of the times he's missed that he needs to catch up on. This is quite interesting in regards to how it was put together.

There's also a one minute long deleted scene. That's quite good.

The box also contains a pack of Hero Attax, a trading card game involving Marvel comic characters.
I am 80yrs old and have had Cap as my favourite comic book character since I was a small boy. I lived in Liverpool then and we were being bombed heavily but we were able to get American Comic Books via the ships which survived their journey. I remember wishing then that these coloured super heroswere real and would free us from this Nazi tyranny. I applaud the gent who has arranged for Cap to be renewed and this film is full of the amazing action and movement which I could not have envisaged as a boy. It's just great watch it and enjoy it for what it is meant to be. To quote Jon Hendricks / Annie Ross " don't just dig it stay cool and wig it".
88 comments| 262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 August 2014
This is another slice of big budget, all action Marvel carnage. I enjoyed it and and I'd think if you've enjoyed Marvels recent output, you probably will too.

The film picks up a couple of years after the chaos of Avengers Assemble and finds Cap still adjusting to life in the modern world. He doesn't have time to dwell though as things kick off big style pretty quickly - a tale of espionage, world domination, assassination and of course super heroes follows. It flys along at fair old pace from the outset from one action set piece to the next with a few quieter character beats in between.

As well as Cap, Nick Fury and Black Widow return and The Falcon is introduced - I was intrigued as to how they would convincingly introduce the character and to be fair they've done a pretty good job. The titular Winter Soldier joins the fun as well and is another good creation. Readers of the comics will most likely already know his identity and story arch, I felt his introduction fitted the plot pretty well.

It works as a standalone movie of course but there are various seeds set for future films, including the next Avengers flick. Stick around for the end credits, there are two epilogues to be found.
VINE VOICEon 11 August 2015
Many people consider 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' to be the best film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe released so far and, while I do not share this opinion even I will admit that it is one of the better films of the franchise. The plot of the film is very interesting, playing on some contemporary issues such as the conflict between individual freedom and state security and although some of the twists can be guessed by anyone with knowledge of some of the new characters from the comics, they are nonetheless handled quite well. The only real problem I have with the film is the that I feel it does drag a little in the middle and I didn’t feel the villains were too engaging but these are only minor complaints that didn’t really damage my enjoyment of the film.

The film sees the return of Captain America, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Maria Hill with Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, etc. continuing to do a brilliant job of bringing the characters to life. The film also introduces a number of new characters to the MCU including Agent 13 (played by Emily VanCamp), Alexander Pierce (played by the brilliant Robert Redford), Crossbones (played by Frank Grillo), Falcon (played very nicely by Anthony Mackie), Georges Batroc (played by Georges St-Pierre) and of course The Winter Soldier himself.

The action scenes in the film are all very well choreographed with Fury’s car chase and the fight in the elevator being particular highlights. The special effect of used in the film are also very spectacular, with the final fight being one of the more spectacular battles in any of the MCU films with its very nice aerial action.

For special features, the DVD includes a deleted scene and a featurette on Steve Rodger’s notebook. The DVD also opens with a trailer for 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' is a very competent action film with some great moments and has a very big impact on following elements of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and while I wouldn’t personally place it as one of my favourite instalments of the franchise (due to my preference for 'Captain America: The First Avenger') I would still happily give it a full five stars.
S.H.I.E.L.D' becomes compromised by an old enemy, 'Nick Fury' with no-one else he can trust turns to 'Captain America' (Chris Evans) to step up again,
Mankind itself could be at risk if the subversive organization get the upper-hand.
'Captain America' will need help from 'Natasha(Black Widow)Romanoff' (Scarlett Johansson)
Have 'S.H.I.E.L.D' turned on it's own ? Agent 'Nick Fury' (Samuel L Jackson) is pursued barely escaping, pursued again and left for dead.
'The Captain' and 'Natasha' have a formidable enemy in 'Hydra' who have a powerful weapon
in the shape of 'The Winter Soldier' (Sebastian Stan) the deadliest enemy the 'Captain' has had to
face.
It seems that those at the very top of 'S.H.I.E.L.D' including 'Alexander Pierce'(Robert Redford)have an agenda that has very little to do with the organization they front, in fact, completely the opposite, as is demonstrated as 'Captain America' and 'Black Widow' are a target to be eliminated leaving no-one to stop 'Hydra' from imposing it's will.
The 'Captain' and 'Natasha' are joined in their quest by former war-veteran 'Sam Wilson' (The Falcon) (Anthony Mackie) the question is, have they met their match ?
The Three may need a guardian-angel to enable them continue the fight, a fight that's still to come..
'Hydra' are planning to use 'S.H.I.EL.D's' high-tech weaponry to fulfill it's evil intent, can the 'Captain' 'Black Widow' and 'Falcon' stop 'Hydra' with the help of the trusted and informed 'S.H.I.E.L.D' members, and will once friend of 'Captain America' - 'Bucky Barnes' (The Winter Soldier) remember the friendship they once shared ?
Thrills and spills a plenty in this action-packed, special effects spectacular.....superbly entertaining !!!
A must see, whether on 3-D - Blu-ray - or DVD.
Great picture and sound quality throughout (Superb 3-D)
Special Features - (In HD picture and sound)
* Commentary by 'Joe and Anthony Russo' and 'Christopher Marcus' and 'Stephen Mcfeely'
* Gag Reel
* Deleted Scenes : In pursuit of Captain America, Hill and Sitwell Talk Loyalty, Nick Fury's Circle,
Widow reveals her past.
* Featurette : on the front line : inside look at Captain America's Battlegrounds, on-set with Anthony
Mackie : Cut the Check, Steve Roger's notebook.
on 30 October 2015
I thought this movie had many impressive moments, but I wanted to see a lot more of Steve in his Captain America uniform. I realise what the directors were going for, but when I watch a movie based on a pre established hero, I want to see more of him fighting in his actual outfit, honestly, they could have easily called this movie Steve Rogers: The Winter Soldier.

I understand why most people like this one, and it is better than other movies like Skyfall so I won't Diss it, but because I was a bit disappointed by it having far more Steve than Cap, I just can't quite give it 4 stars. It's likely I will watch it again at some point later since I only watched it once at the cinema and haven't seen it since, but I guess I'm more into hero movies where you see our hero fighting in his official signature uniform/outfit instead of a civilian for most of the movie.

That may only be a little thing, but it reminded me of Spiderman 3 where there was far more Peter Parker than Spiderman. I know the Winter Soldier is a much better movie than that but I'm sure you get my point.

I would day it's still a pretty good entry in the Marvel series, but for now it hasn't quite done it for me, at least not how Age of Ultron and Antman did. But as I said before, I will likely give Winter Soldier another chance at some point in the near future. Still, I can't fault the story and focus of this one.
When I sat watching the first Captain America film ("The First Avenger") in 2011 - I was laughing and cringing - for all the wrong reasons. I thought it was one of the weakest Marvel adaptations I'd seen. Sure it was entertaining in places and it featured the stunning Hayley Atwell (enough to make most men weak at the knees and nervous in other extremities) and even had a silly looking Nazi bad guy as the fist of an evil organization called "Hydra" (Hugo Weaving). Well someone seems to have lit a match under the "Captain America" team - because outing number two "The Winter Soldier" absolutely rocks like few other blockbusters have.

The action sets pieces are quite brilliant right from the get go and they don't let up until the gobsmacking building-destroying ending. Throw in two top class sidekicks in the shape of Andrew Mackie and the luscious Scarlett Johansson and things sizzle rather than simper. Scarlett is fabulous in this - running around in a tight rubber outfit kicking the crap out of rogue mercenaries as her straight hair remains perfect and her chest pert whilst casually cracking jokes about Captain America's lovelife (or lack of it). Robert Redford and Samuel L. Jackson play the head's of SHIELD - an organization that protects America and the whole world from people who aren't very nice - bosses that came up together but may have differing leanings in their latter years. And Sebastian Stan gives us a believable and fearsome longhaired nemesis called "The Winter Soldier" with a steel arm and the same super-human strength of Captain America (but unfortunately not the same clean-cut American barber).

You can literally feel the work and effort that went into this - the choreography of the fight scenes alone must have taken months of prep - the jokes are good - the sexy tension between Evans and Johansson and the other lovelies (Cobie Smulders and Emily Van Camp) serves rather than detracts - and Chris Evans looks so good you could lick him in public and feel ok about it.

A clever plot sees CA combatting a compromised SHIELD with someone on the inside about to target 20 million key civilians with unstoppable flying fortresses and replace their flabby asses and democracy with modern-day Nazism (hail Hydra). Toby Jones' sicko brain gets all computer-manic and there's even a super-cool reference to Marvin Gaye's brilliant "Trouble Man" Soundtrack from December 1972 on Tamla. All this - and Marvin Gaye! What's not to love!

The BLU RAY picture quality is state-of-the-art, the sound mix will rattle your neighbour's lean-to and the extras are plentiful. Is it any wonder "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is a number-one bestseller on the BR chart. Rent or buy it and thoroughly enjoy the ride...
on 29 April 2014
The movie is very well done - well acted, plotted, scripted - all of that. At over 2 hours I thought it might drag, but it does not. The pacing and mix of action to dialogue is just great.

Chris Evans is better here than in Avengers - with more scope to develop the character, he really brings it to life and I totally believed him as the Sentinel of Liberty. He was suitably emotive during scenes of stress, and he definitely kept up with the pace of the action (I'll get to that a bit more later). He is also witty and charismatic, which was something I didn't get that much of in Avengers Assemble. Brief mention his suit choices (yes, there's more than one) being really well done, totally in keeping. You'll know what I mean when you see the film.

The support cast here is equally skilled. I love Scarlet - she makes Black Widow a much more rounded character here, and has some of the best lines in the script. Sam Jackson is still the definitive Nick Fury for me, even though here he does show his age. One scene in particular had me cheering for him to succeed!
New addition to the MCU - Falcon, is well-done also. His introduction ("On your left") feels natural and authentic, and when the gear change happens for him, it does so credibly. The actor is good too - not heard of him, and can't remember his name, but why should that matter? Edit: Anthony Mackie is Falcon.

The plot, whilst fairly complex and convoluted to begin with (but not quite Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy!), is nevertheless easy to follow as it goes on, and has some twists and turns which I found fresh and exciting. There are also some Easter Eggs for comic historians as well, so look out for those.

Now, I have to mention the action. It is superb. Captain America has somehow amplified all that super-soldier serum and now acts as if turbo-charged. It was exactly how I imagined him to be. The shield is awesome, and he uses it with fantastic skill and grace. I'm getting goosebumps just remembering the various manoeuvres he pulls off using this.

Cap is also a lot more athletic and seeing as he has to keep pace with the Winter Soldier that's absolutely essential.

The Winter Soldier himself is enigmatic, foreboding, seriously good at what he does, and manages to scare with his sheer implacability. He has a development arc in this film too, and without putting spoilers in, what happens is very affecting. Cannot omit mentioning one confrontation he has with Black Widow which really excited and scared me at the same time!

The only thing about it that I thought was a little implausible is the scale of the action - it's an order of magnitude greater than we've seen Captain America handle solo before, and sometimes his actions and achievements against such epic danger jar as being beyond the laws of physics. But hey, it's Marvel, it's superheroes, it works.

Final thought - can't believe they managed to up the game so much from The First Avenger. I liked that first film, but it didn't exactly thrill me as I thought it should. This is brilliant, and almost knocks Avengers Assembled off my favourite film pedestal. The only reason it doesn't (and it's very close) is because that film had the Hulk, Thor and Iron Man in it as well as Cap.

Even greater expectations for Age of Ultron now! Gah!
66 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2014
I'm giving this movie 5 stars. Based on the historical comics written about this character it would be truly impressive if this amazing character can be portrayed properly on the big screen. Well the people behind this production did exactly that. The first movie for Captain America was ok. Certain bits of the movie did show some of the history of the character such as the transformation and impressively the showing of a young and frail looking Steve Rogers. What did cause disappointment in my opinion was the capabilities of Captain America was not shown properly.

Comic book fans have already read about this character and know what this character can do. With all of the latest technology that a movie can utilised there is no excuse why this character should come across as dull, boring but more importantly to not appear as a super hero according to the comic book. It is the comic book that should dictate how the character should be presented on screen and this latest production did exactly without no failure. A super soldier whose has an Olympic level of Martial Arts knowledge, someone who is at peak physical perfection, an expert military strategist and due to the serum who is also resistant to disease and fatigue.

The directors of this film captured exactly how this character is suppose to be. Hand to hand combat could not of been done any better compared to classic 'late night' martial arts movie back in the day. In the Avengers movie you get to see a sample of this ability when Cap was up against the Chutari on top of a police car. However it takes this movie to really show any fan or anyone who does not really know Captain America what he is all about. His shield, just like in the comics, was utilised in every situation, both defensively and offensively. Now this is so important for the character as this is what makes Captain America who he is.

Very impressed by this movie and I do believe that in terms of action this is the best Marvel movie so far. Avengers was good and that held the gauntlet previously. But now that this movie is released the bar has been raised and what could come out of this are future movies showing how each characters abilities are utilised properly without any disappointment.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2014
Captain America is on of my favourite Marvel characters. So forgive the bias - One could argue I'll be more critical!
The premise is good in that the director of SHIELD, Nick Fury, is apparently responsible for corruption within the institution - an institution Steve Rogers opposes. There are some good tensions stressed between the characters which should have been developed further in relationship to their history and agenda's.
If you do not spot the bad guy within the first half hour you've slept through the first half hour. The plot is a little obvious and we know what will happen but the action sequences and dialogue keep you hooked.
There are some corny jokes but all in the spirit of the Marvel comics so it stays true to the source.
I feel the writers need to develop Scarlett's character further as the femme fatale - she could have her own film as a backstory to help us understand her history.
The acting was good, the plot was OK, the script was great. All in all an enjoyable addition to the Marvel Universe.
Of course Iron Man would have saved the day quicker, with less casualties, by himslef and still have time for shawarma!