on 8 May 2014
£20 can be considered quite steep, but paying good money for a top phone and expecting a £3 phone case off ebay to solve all your problems doesn't make sense.

Why 5 stars:
Precision. This case fits like no other - you'll find no give or creaks in the build. No tolerances or cracks for dust to collect. The buttons have perfect clarity and feedback - there is no rubbery gap, it's truly made to match the price tag

Visual Appeal:
For a case that can take a good beating, it has a simple, rugged look without being too brutish.

Premium material and excellent build quality:
No sloppy mass production techniques i.e. excess material/mould residue on the inner surface means no chance of "internal scratching" as there can be with other cases. On it's own, the case is sturdy and very well finished.

Feel:
The texture on the back and the case's profile provides a great feel of premium quality, befitting the calibre of this phone. I believe it matches the aesthetic of the Z1 compact, in that it doesn't try to be the thinnest/lightest/shiniest out there; rather, it aims to look and feel good. The grip gives the phone a solid and secure feel, as well as sit comfortably in your hand however you hold it. I was afraid it would defeat the point of buying the Z1 Compact for my average sized hands, but it actually makes things easier!

Unfortunately, I drop my phone way more than I'd care to mention and after a month, I'm glad I shelled out for this case. For those interested in a screen protector, there's a fantastic oleophobic full-body screen protector by UltimateShield, (with back and side protection) for about £8. Combined with this tough case, I think it's money well spent.
on 2 August 2014
I've used a couple of Case-Mate Tough cases for smartphones over the years and I have never had a problem (like I have with cheaper products or an Otterbox for a Galaxy S3). This fits like a glove and provides the protection that I have come to expect from the brand.

The patterned rear provides a bit of grip, the inner silicone rim that goes around the phone inside the harder shell gives me the impression that it will help ensure that my phone is provided with adequate protection. There aren't any drawbacks that I can see for me as a user but be aware that the magnetic charger point on the side is covered and I believe that you would not be able to charge this way with this case so it might not be suitable for you....

I would definitely recommend this product.
on 23 March 2014
This is by far the best cover for my z1 compact (i've bought 3 others before i saw this one). The cover fits perfectly- feels and looks great- i would highly recomend this case- one very happy customer.
on 4 October 2014
This is a great case. For me it provides the grip in my hand that I want. I've seen so many people drop their phone because they are so smooth and slippery. The ony down side is that it doesn't have a hole in it for the magnetic charging dock only the plug in one, so I cut my own out with a hot knife - not at all easy but I managed it.
on 17 April 2014
I upgraded my phone recently and decided to gamble and not take out the insurance as it can be quite expensive (1 company wanted £14 a month!). The Z1 compact is waterproof so it took away a reason to take out the insurance so my decision was to spend £19 on this case and save over the 2 years of the phone quite a bit of money. Of course no case is indestructible so I know I still have to be careful with my phone. This case isn't the cheapest but it is certainly well built and doesn't add bulk because of its clever 2 part design. I wouldn't use a case with my old phone because the extra bulk always seemed intrusive but with this one I don't feel that and you pretty don't notice much of a difference with the case on. Some will say they don't like the screen being open but a screen cover would add to the size and would restrict access. I would buy it again... in fact I've ordered my daughter one from the same company for her Samsung S3.
on 26 June 2014
I was put off initially ordering this case because of the lack of magnetic port access.
However, after seeing some photos on a forum where someone had successfully hacked the case and not being happy with the other cases I had tried I decided to order this.

The first two I ordered got lost in the post, but the 3rd one finally arrived!

Anyway, 15mins of careful shaving and trimming with a Stanley knife and I now have a quality case which appears to offer a great level of protection, looks and feels good in hand - AND allows me to charge with my magnetic cable. Excellent!

I would have given 5 stars if it had the magnetic port cutout as standard.

UPDATE: After about 4 months usage, I tried to remove the phone from the case to access the MicroSD slot and the top right corner of the case just snapped off - even though I was removing slowly and carefully. Very disappointed for a 'tough' case - so have knocked another star off!
on 1 November 2014
Am pleased with this case, easy to fit, looks nice and so far has protected phone whilst remaining unblemished itself. The only thing stopping me giving it five stars is that there are the odd bits around the case that don't fit together perfectly - I am only talking tiny amounts of no more than a few millimetres in length and the actual gap is again tiny. I may be being overly perfectionistic, but do wonder if perhaps the case would benefit from a more positive fitting between frame and cover. I expected it to really snap into place, where as it is actually quite 'spongey' when joining the two pieces. I should quantify this by saying I have no fear of the case detaching itself and most likely am being a bit fussy - overall very pleased with the case and would buy another product from Case-Mate in the future 9/10.
on 10 January 2015
Before purchasing this case i was using a flip/book style case and before that a slim case. None of the above offered the protection and practicality of the Case-Mate Tough case. The later is a premium well designed product. It offers great protection while enhancing the grip without adding to the overall size of the handset.

I love the internal soft back (the z1 back is ultra prone to scratches) and that the only opening of the case is on the charging port. I find the magnetic charging port poorly designed from Sony thus I don't use it anyways so thumps up for the added protection.

Bottom line this is a must have accessory if you are a Z1 Compact owner. Wish I had bought it earlier, my phone would be in mint condition now.
on 16 June 2014
This is a great case which offers excellent protection and is made from quality materials. However, Casemate in their infinite wisdom, have decided to create a case which has no access to the magnetic charging ports. This means if you're going to charge your phone magnetically you have to strip it down so that the phone can sit in the charger. I stuck this for about 5 days before I got fed up with the whole rigmarole and went and ordered a Cruzerlite case which does have magnetic access.
Like I say, great case...shame about the design
on 2 September 2014
Best case I have ever owned , well made fits perfect and gives ace protection .

Four stars for what possessed a company like case-mate to leave out a hole for the magnetic charger port and thin the case down a little in that area so owners can use the charging dock ? Unreal incompetence

Anyone want to buy a charging dock ? nice one case-mate

Super quality case apart from that blunder , Must have been a Friday afternoon when they designed the port cut outs hey .