Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 April 2017
Absolutely beautiful music
on 15 March 2014
There is no doubt that on this album Tinariwen have amended their sound, no doubt as a result of recording in California during their hopefully short-lived exile from their homeland. This has probably made it a little more "acceptable" to a Western audience,, but to my mind has made it among their very best. There is more space in the sound this time, which highlights the intricate interplay between the instruments. The hypnotic rhythms and their unique guitar sound are intact. Reading the translated lyrics, the themes are of exile and loss and warn that peace imposed by force cannot last. Yet these downbeat sentiments are presented in music that uplifts and which it is impossible not to dance to, even sat in the car!
I can't wait to see them live again this July. For me, Tinariwen are one of the two best bands around at the moment (the other being the completely different The National).
on 14 January 2017
I have a huge respect for these guys as well as Terakaft and Tamikrest, and I love their kind of music. It is not for everyone, I'm sure, but for me this is one of their better albums. I got in to this music while driving around Morocco a few years ago and was turned on by some young guys in a little café in a small town somewhere halfway to the Sahara, and this is spine-tingling music that transports me right to the hot sand. Evocative and hair-raising stuff.
on 19 June 2015
Fantastic music..... It takes you to another world you never suspected existed. I have very eclectic tastes in music, from Opera to Jazz and just about everything in between. Jazz is really my favorite, but this CD rates high on my list. Love it!
on 25 December 2016
From all Tinariwen's albums, this one is the easiest for a Western ear. A mix of Touareg and western music. I bought it just for 1 song (the first one, amazing, captivating and magical) and I'm listening to it on repeat. A very good album.
on 21 October 2015
My favourite album of this band - this is moodier than previous ones and has a warm depth without becoming dark. What I love about them is that I don't have a clue what they're singing about so can just feel the music...
on 13 April 2014
Great album start to finish. Well worth it if you are into east African music. Going to see them live because album was so good.
on 29 July 2014
Tinariwen are the masters of the desert b;ues. I love all their tracks
on 31 October 2016
Holy s***. What a surprise this band are. Incredible grooves.
on 13 June 2015
excellent, heard one track on the radio, hooked.