• TIR

Customer reviews

TIR
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 April 2013
For anyone fortunate to have been brought up in a Welsh primary school this will bring it all flooding back. There could no greater stimulant of hiraeth for those of us now in exile than Cerys' interperation of many of the Classics almost entirely in Welsh. It is worth buying for her versions of Myfannwy and Calon Lan alone. Given that Wales is a net exporter of teachers, doctors and policeman, I see it becoming required listening before a London, Gerards Cross or Guildford based St David's Day Dinner, if only for revision purposes!

Possibly an acquired taste for those without a love of this traditional type of material but the sparse or even a capella arrangements are hauntingly beatiful. At least it avoids the temptation that other brilliant classicaly trained singers from the Celtic Fringe all felt in a need to dilute traditional folk with contemporary material as she already beent there and done that in spades. Charlotte Church and Katherine Jenkins it is not. In content if not in style is is a lot more purist.
on 11 December 2012
Being a Welshman, living in Florida, I grasp any opportunity to get some Welsh heritage going on in my life and Cerys Matthews with her unique voice and easy guitar brings most of the early Welsh songs to the table with very simple, pure renditions of them ... Bryn Tyrfel pops in for a cup of tea and makes a good duet with one of the songs which has lots of heart ... I wish more artists who relish to represent their countries would put something out there like Cerys as it gives a sense of belonging and also made me put some good Welsh Male Voice on afterwards just because ... Tim
on 27 November 2014
If you like the Matthews voice you will like this. It is a well-produced album with a stripped back sound, just simple acoustic accompaniments, and is obviously a labour of love. I'm not Welsh and found the explanatory notes really helpful. We sometimes forget that we have our own "world music" right here on our doorstep.
on 3 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this mixture of Welsh folk songs and hymns. Some of them have been personal favourites for a very long time and it has been interesting listening to a very different approach to their delivery. I was most taken with the folk songs though as I could imagine my ancestors singing along with Cerys and I.
on 20 May 2015
if you like Cerys Matthews voice and you like welsh songs then you will love this. I am from Liverpool but have lived in wales for over 30 years ,i like the welsh folk music and this is perfect for a quiet time . Glad I bought it.
on 6 December 2014
I think this may well be Cerys Mathews finest album and I'm keen on a lot of her material, considering I'm not a Welsh speaker that may seem a bit of a stretch but you can not fail to be intoxicated by the album. Sosban Fach may be the best version of the song anywhere and there is a lot of other great material. Welsh speaking or not your cd collection deserves this to be included.
on 7 March 2013
I first heard parts of this in a local primary school on St David's Day and was entranced. I now have the pleasure of being able to listen to the whole album and it is superb. There are a couple of tracks I hadn't heard of before but most are well known. Her renditions are brilliant - keeps to the traditional tune, but has this unique voice and is very clear.
The CD cover provides words in both Welsh and English and tells great tales.
Overall - I think Cerys Matthews has taken something old (that possibly risked being neglected - except Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau of course) and brought it into the 21c. Well done! I'm now going to buy another CD for some expats!
on 4 March 2014
thank you Cerys, this is a beautiful recording beautifully sung. I felt moved and joyful and sad and happy listening to these songs ofWales. All the favourites are here and I could hear each word (essential for a non Welsh speaker trying to learn). I shall play Canon Lan each time Wales are playing!
on 29 August 2016
Cerys's voice in all its pure clarity singing in Welsh and English. Beautiful.
on 5 May 2017
I LOVE this Album! We were able to digitally download it so now we have access to it everywhere!