• TIR

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 May 2013
The quality of Cerys Matthews' voice is beyond description. The design of the CD cover expresses the heart of the selection of songs she has made. Both reflect her justified pride in the ordinary people of Wales in general and her own family in particular. This is a truly engaging experience.
on 14 April 2013
For anyone fortunate to have been brought up in a Welsh primary school this will bring it all flooding back. There could no greater stimulant of hiraeth for those of us now in exile than Cerys' interperation of many of the Classics almost entirely in Welsh. It is worth buying for her versions of Myfannwy and Calon Lan alone. Given that Wales is a net exporter of teachers, doctors and policeman, I see it becoming required listening before a London, Gerards Cross or Guildford based St David's Day Dinner, if only for revision purposes!

Possibly an acquired taste for those without a love of this traditional type of material but the sparse or even a capella arrangements are hauntingly beatiful. At least it avoids the temptation that other brilliant classicaly trained singers from the Celtic Fringe all felt in a need to dilute traditional folk with contemporary material as she already beent there and done that in spades. Charlotte Church and Katherine Jenkins it is not. In content if not in style is is a lot more purist.
on 1 May 2014
The Welsh Tourist Advertisement on TV had such beautiful music I had to check it out. I had never heard of Cerys Matthews but ordered one of her CD's. I think it is one of the most lovely CD's I have, I love it. Cerys has a beautiful voice.
on 25 April 2014
Ardderchog! Cerys really knows how do deliver Welsh songs, I can't stop playing it! She delivers in Welsh with meaning and heart, and as I now live away from Wales, this album instills a real sense of hiraeth!
on 11 December 2012
Being a Welshman, living in Florida, I grasp any opportunity to get some Welsh heritage going on in my life and Cerys Matthews with her unique voice and easy guitar brings most of the early Welsh songs to the table with very simple, pure renditions of them ... Bryn Tyrfel pops in for a cup of tea and makes a good duet with one of the songs which has lots of heart ... I wish more artists who relish to represent their countries would put something out there like Cerys as it gives a sense of belonging and also made me put some good Welsh Male Voice on afterwards just because ... Tim
on 4 March 2011
Voice as clear and beautiful as an angel. I've been learning welsh for five years and I love welsh songs. Every word is crystal clear and crisp so its easier to understand, its an absolute pleasure to listen too. The packaging is fantastic with Welsh and English lyrics and history of each song. Personally for me this is the best c.d I have ever heard.
on 11 November 2013
A brilliant collection of my favourite Welsh folk songs, mostly in the Welsh language, with a bonus inclusion of my favourite hymn 'Cwm Rhondda'! A great collection to own and to enjoy. Da iawn a diolch i chi Cerys!
on 21 August 2010
I've only just downloaded this and I'm sat here listening to it enjoying it immensely. I'm Welsh but don't speak Welsh, although many of the songs are very familiar to me. Cerys Matthews' take on these is just wonderful. She does her own thing with the songs and nails them all. Just go and buy it!!!
on 18 August 2012
Make no bones about it, this is an odd album. But it's also a very lovely one, because CM has selected a pack of songs she loves, and cares deeply about, and uses them to explore her family heritage and to express her Welsh identity, without ever dropping into sentimentality (except 'Myfanwy' - and a non-sentimental version of 'Myfanwy' is like a non-cheerful P.G. Wodehouse novel - it's just not the thing at all). She has a glorious, breathy, expressive voice, and she has created modern orchestrations of these trad Welsh standards to suit her own style, and they pretty much all work. I have to say, though, it probably helps with some of the songs if you either know them as trad songs, or don't read the lyrics, since several translate as complete nonsense, and need to be seen in the context of Welsh culture ('Sospan Fach', I'm looking at you in particular - no matter how much you may go on about macaronics as part of Welsh cultural identity, it's still a nursery rhyme about saucepans).
The version of 'Ar Hyd Y Nos' is gorgeous.
on 11 June 2015
Melodic, nostalgic -especially lovely for listening to on your own when it can be turned up high and you can sing along.. Also good turned low with friends in for drinks. A great addition to my collection.