Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 9 October 2014
Silly book. Never finished reading it
on 12 September 2014
disnd didn"t finish booksappointed a
on 18 May 2014
I've never come across Balraj Khanna before. I enjoyed this book so much that half way through I ordered 3 copies for far away friends. So disappointed to see that I've already read a third of his fiction. Absolutely delightful, funny, and tender. I really hope he gets his arse into gear and writes more fiction. I might even try some of his books about art, even though I'm not that way inclined. Great writer. Thank you Mr K.
on 18 March 2014
I have read all of Balraj Khanna's books. I have loved them all and eagerly waited for this one. Devoured in one long sitting and definitely worth the wait.
I found the perspective of of a young Indian man arriving in England in the 1960's fascinating as this is when members of my own family arrived in this country.
Beautifully written with his signature sense of humour I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 1 June 2014
this is not just a love story. Set in the 1960s it covers and touches on a vast variety of obstacles, hope, frustration, opportunites, and changes in life and society at the time.
Arriving myself in London in the 60s as a foreigner brought back many memories and added to the enjoyment of reading this brilliantly, fascinating and thought provoking book.
Treat yourself, enjoy and share with others!
on 22 June 2014
This is a super story about a young man from Shimla who finds himself in the UK with very little money and no contacts and how he builds his network, finds work, finds love and finds himself whilst working for a crazy restaurant owner. Readers will spot what the restaurateur has in mind long before the protagonist, but it's still a lot of fun. A superb balance to all the 'Englishman in India' books.
on 22 March 2014
I passionately loved Balraj Khanna's MISTS OF SIMLA, which I've read and reread. To my great relief, INDIAN MAGIC is just as deeply satisfying. I chortled my way through it, although it has its dark - and some very dark - moments, and at the end, I thought to myself: 'Evelyn Waugh, eat your heart out. This chap is as good as you are!' It's an excellent read, highly recommended. Frances T.
on 2 April 2014
I just loved this book. The story of a rather naive visitor to Britain in the 60s and his experiences as he gradually found his niche and became more worldly wise made me laugh out loud and, occasionally shocked me. It reads rather like Pepys's diary and has a real ring of truth. The characters, in all their variety, are beautifully sketched. Read it and enjoy!
on 20 April 2014
This book appealed to me because I, too, came to this country in the early 60s. A few events reminded me of my early
time in England,alas not in London but in Manchester. It was also interesting to read about the impressions from a
male Indian point of view. Quite an easy read.
H.A.
on 1 February 2014
Another wonderful novel from Balraj Khanna - much enjoyed the
description of the London way of life (the opening chapter alone is a work of hilarious genius) and the usual witticisms that make you laugh out loud. Bravo!