Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.48

on 14 June 2014
A lovely romance, mystery and coming of age book all rolled into one. The post birth craziness and hyper sensitivity was very well written and well done. Cassie is struggling following the birth of her daughter. Her husband is lovely but doesn't seem to understand her and then her lost love Malkie comes back on the scene. Sensitively written and very funny.
on 30 July 2015
Liked the characters, easily read.
Can relate to baby problems, work related etc.
Nice read, read in a week in the evening.
on 26 February 2014
Tiny Acts of Love is hugely entertaining, thought-provoking and hard to put down.

Lucy Lawrie’s clever, witty, unpretentious storytelling pulled me into Cassie’s world from page 1 – and I didn’t want to leave. Such is the strength of the writing that, even though I’m not a mum and have never faced many of the challenges and anxieties confronting Cassie, I really do feel I ‘get’ her. And the story resonates on so many other levels besides.

Some ostensibly absurd situations are rendered entirely plausible because all the characters are so well drawn; they’re so real, I feel I know them. If I lived in Edinburgh I think I’d be looking out for Cassie and family in the Botanic Gardens, or hoping to bump into Jean and Gerry Forrester in the supermarket! I know whom I’d want to direct a funeral, and whom I’d cross the road to avoid. As for ex-boyfriend Malkie, well...

I admire the author’s skill at generating emotion in her reader as well as her characters. I was laughing out loud one minute, and had a lump in my throat the next. And isn’t that what real life can be like? Cassie puts it better than me when, in a particularly moving passage, she observes: “And just like that, it can happen ... A door swings open through the back of a sunny day.”

There’s much more to this story than meets the eye. It also has a wonderful twist and a perfect ending (tissues required, though!).

I’ll be first in the queue for whatever Lucy Lawrie writes next.
on 14 March 2014
A very graphic email entitled '48 Stitches Later' describing the birth of baby Sophie Carlisle is sent to all members of her mother, Cassie Carlise's email address book by excited husband, Jonathan. These included her friends, family, colleagues, business associates, clients of the law firm she worked for, the funeral director that arranged her great aunt's send off and Malkie, the ex love of her life. And it also contained a photo of her half naked and breastfeeding the new arrival.

From the moment Cassie brought their bundle of joy home, it was apparent that she was finding the whole thing tough and motherhood did not seem to run smoothly for her.She felt extreme anxiety for her and fears for Sophie's health too. Worries about her job were running through her mind and the other parents at the babycraft class made her feel inadequate.

I found that Cassie was lucky to have the support network around her that she did, with her mother and mother-in-law able to help out with the baby, even if it was somewhat judgemental with her own mother. But Dita, her mother-in-law seemed just the sort of granny to have around, although she did come with certain baggage of her own.
It still seemed increasingly difficult for Cassie with having no friends to really talk properly to, especially when she returned to work.
With pressure mounting and her career as a lawyer in question, it seemed that Postnatal depression had really set in, and she turned to a source that she should really have steered clear of.

Tiny Acts of Love is a gentle, funny romance set around the story of a mother who is just struggling to cope with the new adjustments in her life and relationships that a baby brings; the doubts, the fears and feelings of inferiority that all the other parents are doing a better job.

I liked how Cassie and Jonathan worked on what was wrong and eventually began to understand so much about each other along the way.

I was thoroughly satisfied by the ending and was pleased it worked out the way it did.

It's a great story to curl up with - funny, touching and romantic, and in some parts quite sad and poignant. It really has it all!
on 13 March 2014
Firstly I’d like to thank ED PR for sending me this book to read and give an honest review.

Straight away I was able to relate to Cassie and the post-childbirth haze she was experiencing. Her funny interactions with her husband Jonathan made me laugh, especially because he seemed to have a knack of putting his foot in it and irritating the new mum! The author described the ups and downs of parenthood accurately, honestly and humorously leaving me nodding my head in understanding and agreement.

Cassie’s ex-boyfriend gave the book an intriguing edge, the ‘will she, won’t she’ question played on my mind throughout and really kept me on my toes. When a stalker was thrown into the equation I felt rather concerned for Cassie, it brought an eerie feeling to the storyline and although I managed to come up with a theory as to who was responsible, I couldn’t have been more wrong – this was a great twist!

There were many enjoyable moments throughout the book but some of my favourites included: a very revealing email, a disastrous overnight stay with friends, a funeral home with ghostly issues and a surprise meeting at a spa day. This book really did tick all the boxes for me, I was expecting laughter but the sadness and moments of raw emotion really took me by surprise. The insightful epilogue left me looking at the world from a different, more peaceful, viewpoint.

This was a fantastic debut novel, touching and amusing with a wonderfully real feel to it.
I had heard from another blogger that this book didn't quite live up to their expectations, so I am pleased to report that it did live up to mine. Also what a really lovely cover it is. Love the yellow background and the little lipstick, baby wipes and cupcake.

Tiny Acts of Love tells the story of Cassie, a lawyer and a new Mum. Cassie is finding that she has a lot of anxieties since Sophie's birth, but her husband Jonathan just dismisses them. It's his way of dealing with things; not really listening to the actual problem by emotionally detaching himself from it even though he has underlying problems of his own. To add to Cassie's stresses her ex-boyfriend has appeared back in her life and he wants more than to just be friends and Cassie is also struggling at work. The stresses at work are also not helped when she is given a new paranormal case to deal with and there is a stalker lose. Motherhood is really not looking so idyllic for Cassie right now, but will she be able to stop her world falling apart through tiny acts of love?

This really depicted to me what real life is like. It is full of worry, stresses, strains, love, hope, anxiety and loss, but it is the little things that get us through it. I liked the rawness of it, the honesty that being a new Mum isn't always a fairytale ending, it is tough and you still have to carry on with life as normal. Despite that it had a funny edge to it, a kind of dark humour that lifts the novel and brings a smile to your face.

Now I may not be a Mum, but I completely understood where Cassie was coming from in this with her new Mum anxieties and stresses. I think I understood her more as well as my sister had a baby a year ago and she has been living with us for quite a while, so I am very hands-on with my niece. I experience first hand the joys, stresses and strains of having a baby. Now I am not for a minute saying that I understand completely what Mum's go through, just that I have more of an empathetic understanding of what it is like. I have hence recommended this book to my sister to read as she will totally be able to relate to it and also all new Mums will love it too and new Dad's. However as I have proven, you do not need to a new Mum or Dad to enjoy this. It is so brilliantly written that anyone can enjoy it. I was quite sad to finish it has I felt like I knew these characters so well and that goes for all of them, even the ones I thought were slightly mad at first.

A really heartwarming, down-to-earth, real read which I thoroughly recommend everyone should read.
on 17 March 2014
When Employment Lawyer Cassie returns to work after her maternity leave, she is not able to pick things back up from where she left them before having her baby daughter Sophie. This whole situation is not helped by her husband Jonathan who (accidentally) sends an email recounting her birth story to everyone in Cassie’s address book (from important work clients to her ex-boyfriend). Will Cassie and Jonathan’s relationship survive or will new motherhood, career challenges and old flames prove too much for their marriage?

As soon as I read the opening chapters of this book I took an immediate liking to Jonathan. He means so well – yes, sending this email to EVERYONE in Cassie’s address book might not have been the brightest idea, but it so completely showed his pride and innocence of becoming a first-time father. In fact, this whole story quickly became very close to me. The feelings and emotions Cassie goes through are very similar to what I experienced after the birth of my baby girl. Lucy Lawrie brilliantly described the struggles of unforeseen happenings every new mother has to cope with.

Tiny Acts of Love has a brilliant and strong supporting cast of characters. There are a few parallel small storylines that really caught my attention – from the “secrets” surrounding the funeral director (one of Cassie’s clients) to the old and endearing couple struggling with unfair treatments at work (another one of Cassie’s clients).

I loved the description of all the Babycraft events. Babycraft is the parenting group that both Cassie and Jonathan attend. The other characters in this group are downright hilarious and add so much to the whole storyline!

Tiny Acts of Love is superbly written and takes the reader on a journey of the ups and downs of new motherhood and general obstacles life throws at you.
on 28 March 2014
Someone on a local internet forum mentioned this book which her friend had written. I had a wee peek and decided to download it. The first page had me freaked out. The names of the characters were too close to home... but I continued reading because to be fair it had become one of those books which you wish the world could leave you alone to read it. The characters were beautifully written and you could identify with Cassie the main character but also the other characters. The book flowed well and the ending was tied up beautifully. I know this was a first book, but if the author continues along these lines, then I'd be happy to read more from her.
With thanks to the author and publisher for the Advance Reading Copy.

Surviving motherhood? It’s all about having the right network. Lawyer and new mum Cassie has a husband who converses mainly through jokes, a best friend on the other side of the world, and a taskforce of Babycraft mothers who make her feel she has about as much maternal aptitude as a jellyfish. Husband Jonathan dismisses Cassie’s maternal anxieties, but is he really paying attention to his struggling wife?

Gosh and Golly this was an amazing read. From the brilliantly hilarious but absolutely real opening few pages, where the immediate aftermath of Sophie making her debut into the world become clear to new Mum Cassie, throughout the heart wrenching, glorious intensity of the first year of childcare, this one will have you laughing out loud, shedding the odd tear, completely immersed into the ever changing maelstrom of life and nodding sagely along as Cassie and Husband Jonathon traverse the waters of that wonderfully ironic thing called Parenthood.

At turns both emotional and heart warming, the very real highs and lows of maintaining a relationship under the sheer pressure and joy of having a new member of the family are SO well described here, alongside an absolutely insightful and realistic look at how becoming parents can affect both men and women. One of the things I absolutely loved about this was the fact that, although it is mainly Cassie’s story, it avoided the pitfall of allowing it to be all about Mum. Jonathon is well drawn and just as realistic as Cassie – the hopes and fears and dreams and nightmares are just as real for him as for her.

Using a set of absurd yet extraordinarily believable set of events that see Cassie reconnecting with her first love, helping a client with a workplace safety Supernatural issue ( the night of the documentary had me in stitches) and desperately trying to live up to the expectations of the absolutely hilarious but lovely BabyCraft crew, Lucy Lawrie takes us on a journey of emotional depth, ingenious observations and absolute understanding of post natal perceptions and sensitivities. If you have ever been a new Parent every moment of this novel will resonate with you. If you have not, you are still in for a fantastic and invigorating peek into one fictional family’s life.

Really cannot recommend this highly enough.

Happy Reading Folks!
on 22 March 2014
Tiny Acts of Love by Lucy Lawrie

Publisher / Wydawca: Black and White Publishing

Publishing Date / Data wydania: 6th March 2014

Source / Zrodlo: Received from the publisher, thank you! Od wydawcy, dziekuje!

Amazon Summary:
Surviving motherhood? It's all about having the right network. Lawyer and new mum Cassie has a husband who converses mainly through jokes, a best friend on the other side of the world, and a taskforce of Babycraft mothers who make her feel she has about as much maternal aptitude as a jellyfish. Husband Jonathan dismisses Cassie's maternal anxieties, but is he really paying attention to his struggling wife? He's started sleep talking and it seems there's more on his mind than he's letting on. Then sexy, swaggering ex-boyfriend Malkie saunters into Cassie's life again. Unlike Jonathan, he 'gets' her. He'd like to get her into bed again too... And on top of all her emotional turmoil, she also finds herself advising a funeral director on ghost protocol and becomes involved in an act of hotel spa fraud, never mind hiding cans of wasp spray all over the house to deal with the stalker who seems to be lurking everywhere she looks. Marriage and motherhood isn't the fairytale Cassie thought it would be. Will her strange new world fall apart around her or will tiny acts of love be enough to get her through? Funny, perceptive and real, Tiny Acts of Love portrays the rawness of motherhood, the flipside of love and the powerful lure of paths not taken.
Rating/Ocena: 5/5

Tiny Acts of Love is Lucy Lawrie's debut work and I am very happy that she decided to write this book, really. I have enjoyed it immensely and I could just start reading it again.

Meet Cassie, an employment lawyer, who has just arrived home with her new - born Sophie (Sophie! Yay!). Everything is new, scary - hello! A brand new baby! - but on top of this Cassie's boss phones her and demands that she takes care of a new client immediately AND her husband has sent an email to all the contacts in her mail - box (including people with whom she dealt only once in her life, her clients and ex - boyfriend) with the info about the baby and a photo of breastfeeding Cassie.
What follows is a mix of work, sleepless nights (but sleepless not only because of the baby but also because Cassie thinks she is very ill and she can die, because Jonathan talks in his sleep about his deceased father, because he is sleep - walking, because Cassie thinks she has a stalker ... you name it), mood swings, ghosts in funeral home, ex - boyfriends and competitive parenting in her baby - group, family, oh and a husband going into his own personal space and dismissing all her fears and anxieties Yeah, and that's all only in one year. And let's not forget: hello! a brand new baby! With all the pluses and minuses of motherhood, hormones, moods, tears.

I must admit, I have expected Tiny Acts of Love to have a totally different plot. Looking at the cover, so nice, bright and optimistic I have thought it's going to be about babies, family, baby - blues etc. and nothing else. Which wouldn't be a problem because, as you all already know, since I'm a mum myself I just love reading about new parents, families, babies.
Perhaps there isn't much happening in term of action, although I am sure some of you won't agree with it: what with Cassie and her work, Cassie and Malkie, Cassie and Jonathan, Cassie and the baby, some subplots of Jonathan's parents... but for me it was a relatively slow read and the pace was very considerate. Nevertheless, this book has me hooked, literally. There was something deep in the writing, I felt like there was something much more than the plot itself, as if Lucy wanted to tell us much more and hid something behind her words and story. I don't often get that feeling, but reading this book I just felt it all, I felt like a part of this novel, actually I felt that I am Cassie. No particular reason, maybe because we took to the motherhood in similar ways? Because we both had the same anxieties? To be honest, the whole epilogue that Lucy wrote can be about me. Period. Those were one of the most beautiful and true words that I have ever read.

I warmed to Cassie immediately. All the feelings, all the questions about a new baby, her fear if she's going to be a good mother, I can relate to all of this. I guess every mum can:) I really admired the fact that it was relatively easy for her to come back to work, even if Sophie was still so small. Cassie was also unbelievably fair and honest, I'm not sure if I would be so honest to my husband about my encounters with ex - boyfriend. And she has also a great sense of humour, the Babycraft party scene when she talked about her ghost - case was brilliant!
While I liked Cassie, I had some issues with her husband and I must admit that I didn't warm to him till the end. Yes, I understand he had problems himself but I hated how he didn't pay attention to Cassie and how he dismissed her fears. He was, for my liking, too cold, although he was a great dad and yeah, well, he had some good moments when he helped Cassie.
There were also some other characters, like the Babycraft group and all of them were brilliantly written and all their feelings about being new parent were described in a fantastic, engaging and very real way. Both mothers of our main characters were women for themselves and it's only a pity that we got just a little of Cassie's mum.

The descriptions of the situations in the story, Cassie's job and Sophie's first year felt totally real. The book was written with a confidence, the author knew what she's writing about - she was an employment lawyer herself and is also a mum - so she has done her research and it reflects in her confident writing. The partly absurd sets of events, like Cassie and her ghost case, or her visit to the spa, or reconnecting with Malkie, or just trying to live up to the expectations of the ridiculous Babycraft group just added lightness and so needed fun to this book. It was a very, very emotional read, full of understanding and sensitivity, and also full of important information. Brutally honest about being a new parent and how it can affect the relationship between the woman and the man. A kind of read that is going to stay with me for longer and I am sure I'm going to re - read to this book. And looking for Lucy Lawrie - having her on my radar now!

Copy provided by publisher in exchange for a review.