on 2 March 2015
An enjoyable (if that's the right word) thriller. In Middlesbrough a heroin addicted prostitute shoots a man dead, in Sheffield a man shoots his family and burns down the house - two different crimes but what links them?

As crime novels go this was at the good end of the scale. It had a lot of the 'usual' - cop at the back end of his career, doesn't get on with his superior etc but there was also enough freshness to keep things interesting. The 'bad guys' were truly vile and the character of Angel was written well, making her 'kind of likeable' for a killer.

More please 😉
on 24 September 2015
A little too much graphic violence for my liking, and to be honest I prefer books that are complete in one not needing three to tell the story
on 1 May 2017
I love reading BEN CHEETHAM
on 25 August 2015
good read
on 26 May 2014
Ben Cheetham's latest crime thriller grabbed my attention from page 1 and held it right to the end. This is a page-turner that rocks along at cracking pace. Like the previous reviewer I too felt an immediate empathy with Angel, the main protagonist. She has arrived at a point in her life where enough is enough and she decides to do something about it. The results are violent and gory but somehow there is a perverse justification in her actions.

Angel isn't the only character to present the reader with moral dilemmas. Jaded cop Jim Monahan also has some tough decisions to make in his relentless quest for justice. His 'final solution' brings a satisfying twist to the end of the story.

In Angel of Death the writer never flinches from dealing with the nastiest and most disturbing topics. He explores those moral dilemmas we all face from time to time; about how we feel certain elements of society should be dealt with and how our law enforcers are affected by the horrors they deal with.

This is the fourth Ben Cheetham book I've read and it's great to see the way his writing has developed; this is the best to date and I look forward to the next one with eager anticipation.
Ben Cheetham has released a number of books and short stories, however the only one I had read was entitled Blood Guilt. When I heard that he had this new one coming out I was keen to read it and see if it was as good as the last one. Not only was it just as good, it was even better! The covers are pretty appealing too for those that are still reading the paperback or hardcover copies. From Page 1 to the very end my attention was held, and my emotions played with. It seemed that Cheetham was determined to up the ante in terms of plot, characters and sheer pace.

Angel is a young girl with a severely tragic and broken past. She is now a prostitute and she finally snaps leaving her with only revenge in her mind. She was a great character and I empathised with her immediately. The book highlights in graphic detail the horrors she has been subjected to, and as a reader it doesn’t take too long for you to get behind her and almost begin to understand how people cross the line of the law.

Jim Monohan is a DI who has been round the block a few times. I liked Jim although he was a little on the clichéd side. He is investigating a crime where a bankrupt business man has murdered his family. Although seemingly a simple case to the police, Jim knows there is more to the case than meets the eye. The first few chapters alone were incredibly interesting and I was drawn in from the get go. I read this in a day and a half and was gutted to finally finish it.

The story and pace alone deserves a fantastic rating, but adding in the characters and plot threads it made for an absolutely fantastic read. I dithered over what rating to give it and was going to give it 5/5 but because the copper character just didn’t cut the mustard I had to drop it down to a 4/5. However, the book had everything else I would want from a book like this and more. This was an outstanding read and one that I think deserves a bit more exposure. If you haven’t read Ben Cheetham, I would highly recommend both the books I have read. Another great book and I will definitely look forward to the next one!
on 30 May 2014
Having read Blood Guilt, Ben Cheetham's latest book did not disapoint. I was gripped from the very start. It follows a very dark and gritty plot with lots twists. I read lots of crime thrillers and this is by far one of the best I have read in recent years, I couldn't put it down, the sign of a great book! A fantasic read, can't wait for more.
on 22 September 2014
I seriously worry that this kind of tripe is published - I can only assume the author had a few mates in the publishing company - I thnk the book says more about the authors strange and very unwelcome views on women and revenge - made me feel uncomfy but not in a good way when reading - avoid and hopefully Ben Cheetham will go away
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2014
A young woman hell bent on revenge. A detective determined to self-destruct. A sinister cabal of powerful people who will keep their terrible secret, whatever the cost. Angel of Death is an accomplished thriller from author of Blood Guilt, Ben Cheetham. Fans of Rankin's Rebus will almost certainly enjoy this novel, where one of the main characters is a detective who feels so jaded by the job that he just doesn't care for authority any more. Retirement beckons and it's with bitterness that Jim Monahan goes about the job.

Another damaged character is the Angel of the title. A hooker's handle but one she lives up to in a deadly fashion. The chance to do a good deed for a young girl leaves her feeling powerful and alive for the first time in years. She comes to the terrible realisation that she can and must hit back at those that have mistreated her. She becomes the Angel of Death.

Cheetham tackles some big issues, and we are left feeling no small amount of empathy for the main characters as they both tread their separate trails of self-destruction. Trails that we know must at some point cross. The author has a rare talent for story telling and character creating. Expect more steel city thrillers. A gripping read for thriller fans.
I tend to read a lot of crime books and whilst most of them follow the tale through from start to finish, what this title also throws into the mix is a lead character who has to war with his own beliefs and his faith in the law. Its wonderfully written and the reader is given a principle player that is rounded but also emotionally involved in everything he does.

Add to the mix, some solid police work, quite a few twists and of course an authorly style that will not only entertain but help give the reader a tale that’s a little different to a lot out there and al round, you really can’t afford to miss this book.