on 10 May 2014
Well written honest account but felt it was a bit short - more like a magazine article than a book. Would be better to have held back then continued on his ongoing (hopefully) success in ultra running. Gives a good insight into the sport and makes me think about what Im thinking of doing.
on 16 January 2014
I have just turned 40 years old. In 2011 I ran a marathon at 4:00:44 and I have been training as a nurse since so I've not had much time to train. I have made a plan to run an ultra next year and I am so happy to have read this account of someone similar to me. I thought maybe it's my mid life crisis, maybe I am being daft but, thanks to reading this I feel energised. Good luck Paul with you 2014 goals. I have just made a YouTube Chanel called 'running the hill' where I aim to share my journey too. Great read thanks Paul.
on 15 May 2014
A well told journey of the ups and downs while striving for the challenge that is an ultra marathon. Paul tells it as it is in an open, straight from the heart account. A real page turner. My only complaint - it was over far too quickly.
on 3 January 2014
Very easy and interesting read. Couple of useful tips for the mid-pack runner who is "ultra-curious" which I hope to use. Would have been 5 stars if there was a triumphant/happy ending epilogue (although not necessary but when I read I seem to be a romantic) but kept my interest to finish in a single sitting.
on 19 June 2015
Although I never considered an ultra, I started running from scratch at 47 and completed a number of marathons, so my heart was with Paul white reading his book.
Keep it going mate it's only self satisfaction but you know already much it means.
John Stacey
on 2 April 2015
Far too short for the price and rather uninspiring. SPOILER ALERT - the book is basically about a person who started running, took on too much too quickly and failed in their task because of it. You could argue it makes a good 'how not to do things' guide but the details and information given is so vague that it barely covers that. It only cost £2.60 but 'Fat man to Green man' costs £1.60 less and that actually gives you a full book, detailed information and the sort of gradual improvement and development that makes these type of books so satisfying to read.
on 28 June 2016
Rubbish. Barely 50 pages long more blank space and pictures than anything. Ridiculous excuse for a 'book' don't waste your money. Buy 'running with the Kenyans' or Scott jurek or even a child's pop up book would be better value for money than this. Better used as a bookmark really!
on 20 January 2015
I've read a lot of ultra books over the past couple of years, some good, some not so good - but have taken something from all of them - I like the honest and down to earth story and would have liked to hear more, but it's a nice 45min read.
on 21 December 2013
A good window into the world of ultra running with interesting comments on embarrassing problems and positive thoughts on why people run these crazy distances.
on 5 June 2014
Loved to hear you accomplished so much in such a short space of time. Horrific to hear about your problems during the race good luck next
time