on 25 June 2014
I have enjoyed a number of other novels by Elizabeth Buchan, but I have to say I was very disappointed with this one. I think she's trying a bit too hard for effect. I've given it 3 stars partly because it was so cheap, and for that it could just about be considered OK as holiday reading. What really annoyed me are the number of typos. They are everywhere and of all types, I suppose this may be because the price is so low, and some of them are quite funny.... I particularly enjoyed a sentence about 'Fat' taking a hand (should be Fate I think!)
on 8 April 2014
Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the story, the characters and the plot as a whole I couldn't stand the amount of typos. To say there were hundreds is probably an understatement. At times I had a read a sentence two or three times to get the gist of what the writer was trying to say. Is English her first language I wonder? Did anyone proof read this? If so they should get the sack. So in spite of enjoying the story it doesn't deserve anything more than 2 stars. Such a shame, with more care it would have been 4.
on 8 September 2014
Sadly I can only agree with many of the other reviewers who found the book riddled with typo errors. I ended up concentrating on them instead of the story - which was interesting but not all that brilliant. Some of the mistakes were hilarious, many sentences needed to be read over again to make sense of them.I have read and enjoyed several of Elizabeth Buchan's other books but I think there are many other authors whose historical fiction is of a better quality.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 October 2016
I've owned this for a long time but have only just got around to reading it. I loved it - utterly believable characters, atmospheric France at the time of the revolution & three magnificent, sensual and heartbreaking love stories. Highly recommended.
on 12 July 2014
Such a great book
Absolutely loved this book. Downloaded it before I went on holiday for beach reading but could not put it down so have already finished it. If you like historical romance with a bit of suspense then is is definitely one to get. Am now going to read her other ones. My copy did not have not have any typos so maybe this has been corrected?
on 25 June 2014
The intermingling stories in this book I found to be very interesting and compelling and of course very sad .the reign of terror,in France which is the space in time that this book is based was a terrible horrible time in history.I would recommend this book to anyone who likes history and love stories with the reality of man's cruelty.
on 1 August 2014
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK. I LIKED THE WAY THE AUTHOR WRITES ABOUT THE REVOLUTION IN FRANCE BY USING THE PERSONAL LIVES AND FEELINGS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE CAUGHT UP IN THIS DREADFUL ERA. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN HISTORY ALTHOUGH IT IS VERY GRAPHIC IN PLACES AS THE TRUE HORRORS OF THE SITUATION UNFOLDS.
on 18 July 2017
Another good read from Elizabeth Buchan. Based on truth. A great way to learn your history.
on 23 March 2014
Got this on my Kindle and whilst it was a good read & well executed (pardon the pun given the subject matter), I have to say what spoilt it for me was the amount of typos which worsened as the book progressed. The odd one here or there I can (sort of) accept but at times the quick succession and sheer number detracted from my enjoyment of the read. Did no-one proofread this before issue?
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse