on 19 August 2014
I have "The Message" NT but wanted the whole Bible, and buying it for my Kindle, at this price, seemed like a good deal.
I read all the reviews, including a few which said that the navigation was poor, and it was rubbish, or a waste of money. That made me hesitant, but I would never describe the word of God as rubbish, and felt that any slight irritation, or technical issues, would be worth it to be able to read this version of the Bible.
When I got it, I think I skipped several pages in my enthusiasm to start reading, and it did seem, at first, as though navigation was indeed going to be a problem. But then I went right back to the beginning, found a list of contents at location 35, and it's all good.
This is a paraphrase of the Bible, yet made after consulting Greek and Hebrew texts. The NT was written in colloquial, conversational Greek, and the Message is written in a similar style, (in English!) I would definitely recommend The Message; not as a study Bible, but the author himself says that it is not meant to be one.
on 3 April 2015
I love this Bible translation and have both a hard copy and a kindle edition. Peterson says he wants to get the feeling, the aliveness of the Bible over to his audience in his translation from the Greek. Then we can appreciate more fully what was actually happening and enter into the spirit of that time. I am not someone who reads the Bible very much, but this is a real page-turner. My other love is the King James with its beautiful language. These two compliment each other really well.
on 23 February 2014
Low rating not because of the content, which is a well known and helpful paraphrase of the Bible but because the layout for Kindle makes it almost unusable. There is no easy mechanism to find chapters and verses so that it becomes difficult to look up relevant passages in The Message for reference. OK if you want to read The Message from electronic 'cover to cover' but not easy to use in any other way. This was not made clear when I downloaded it and so I feel a bit cheated.
on 28 January 2018
terribly difficult to navigare kindle version. have to manually scroll page by page in each book! complete waste of money! do not buy!
on 21 November 2017
Really helping me to live my life as good as i can .i will keep going back to read it again .
on 12 September 2015
Great to have alongside your regular version. Gives you a fresh taste of Scripture that may have lost some of its impact due to "familiarity". Same truth delivered in a fresh form gives renewed impact to the message.
on 15 April 2015
Wonderful interpretation I just love this version of the Bible, It's modern linguistics speak out like it's just talking to you. 1 Corinthians 13 is wonderful, just one of the Gem's in this version. A must have for any Christian.
on 9 March 2014
Not really sure why there are reviews saying you cannot go directly to books - I was actually buying it to just read straight through so went for the £3.40 version. It does have the contents page and you can go directly to books and chapters. The layout could someplaces be improved but it doesnt seem to distract an awful lot. Very good value for the price
on 20 November 2016
Brilliant book as it is modern English and easy to read.
Would definitely recommend this book
on 14 March 2015
Good version but this edition makes it difficult to get to references easily as it goes on numbers not text. frustrating