on 3 March 2014
I found this book -with all its twists and turn from past to present -endearing in more ways than one, Nova's slight naive-ness and out-going personality, Mal's unfortunate upbringing and strong resolve, along with how they are both unbelievable loyal to those that they love. When poor Steph comes into the picture it seems almost perfect, that the strong, gorgeous Mal will hold her up and make her stronger and build her up, but she slips and slides all over the place. Towards the end, when all revelations are let loose, there is no way to feel too disgusted with Stephanie for some of her actions. She had isolated herself and withdrawn from the world, her own mind making her paranoid and reckless. The ending of the story breaks my heart but not just for the most obvious reason; the happy ever after is just in reach but they have made their ways and sadly their life has taken a different turn. There are so many what if's that could have happened, or may have happened long after the allotted time frames, but the end shows how strong and loyal both Nova and Mal are. They both need to do what makes them happy, and honor their promises and commitments. The end of this story is worth the wait but I DO RECOMMEND that you keep the tissues by your side especially if you finish this book at 6AM because it's THAT good that you can sacrifice a few more hours of sleep! There is also no way that you couldn't go on Brighton beach or the pier and not feel what Nova felt through her heartache. She shows so well that when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade, even if what you really want is a spiced orange!
on 22 October 2017
Sometimes you just miss out in life, you know what you wish, what you need but life pulls you in another direction for all the wrong (or is it right) reasons. I would have liked to shake the characters, to open their eyes but somehow they were drawn to making endless wrong choices. Then disaster strikes. Is it going to change their destinies for the best? Hope is permitted.
VINE VOICEon 18 December 2012
This book is written for a predominantly female audience using a formula which is well used ie a love triangle with complications and secrets.
Nova and Steph are the two female narrators. Nova is Mal's best friend and Steph is his wife which makes for a difficult relationship between the two women. Then everything gets even worse when a baby gets in the way.
In the book the two characters take it in turns to narrate the chapters. Their characters are developed well and they both grow as the story and the related secrets are revealed. I found that I didn't engage with many of the other people in the book which may have been because the two narrators were so strong.
Dorothy Koomson has a very wordy style which mostly comes across as intelligent writing although there were a few times that I found myself skipping a few lines to get on with the plot (but not very often).
Overall I enjoyed the plot and characters and would recommend this as a good easy read. My only criticism is that it could have done with a bit more editing.
on 16 June 2014
I think this must be one of the most heart wrenching books I have read (and I have read a lot!) and it certainly was one which resulted in a lack of sleep the next day! (due to staying up to finish it!!)

The story is about Nova and Mal who have been best friends since children and have grown up together with both families being extremely close.
Mal askes Nova to have a baby for him and his wife, she agrees to this as she would do anything for Mal. Before the baby is born Mal changes his mind without any explanation, and breaks contact. Nova is left to bring up the baby that she never thought would be hers.

Meanwhile in the present, Leo, Nova's son, is in a coma and it isn't looking good. Nova must tell her family, which also means Mal's family will find out.

I think this book takes you through a range of emotions and I will openly admit I cried more than a few tears through it! It opens your heart to the 'could have beens' and the consequences of choices that have been made.

I have found it hard to write this review as it was such a moving story and I do not want to spoil it!!!
on 28 August 2017
It may so d strange that a story tinged with saddness from the outset can be a comfort read but this one is. The characters are described in the most beautiful and gentle way that you end up falling for them all. There is no hero or heroine each play their respective parts to give you the bigger picture. There are main characters that you can bond with and form a friendship with and this is how this becomes a comfort read. Although there is a warning..... once you meet these people you'll find it hard to leave them alone.
on 12 July 2012
i first bought this book about 4years ago and a friend read it first. when she read it all the pages fell out of the book and putting it together again was impossible. i have been drawn again and again to buying a replacement and this year i did download to my kindle.
What a truly beautiful book - it made me heart hurt!! i read it on holiday and couldnt put it down. it is by far the best of Koomsons novels to date and i have read most of them!!
All the different kinds of love we can have explored in the story were so heart touching and at some times rending - and the decisions we make through our lives. The story stayed with me and is still in my heart a couple of weeks after reading - word of caution though if you are a mum - read with a public health warning!!!
Absolutely loved it!!!
on 10 June 2017
The first book I have read of this author and it wont be the last. A great read. I just couldn't put it down. I felt like the characters were all real. Thank you Dorothy for a lovely story
on 2 September 2017
I loved this story and couldn't stop reading till I'd finished it. The characters were all believable with their own faults but I will not forget them for a long time. I have to say lots of tissues are required! Read it you won't be disappointed.
on 30 August 2016
Another heartbreaking read but Koomson never fails to get the emotions of characters spot.on so each book comes to life and draws you in until you feel part of the characters lives and walking their journey with them.
on 14 March 2012
I bought the book because people described it as a 'fantastic book which will make you cry'. I beg to differ.
An average book and I wasn't emotionally moved in the slightest.

I feel like the endings of Koomson's books let her down greatly. I always get that "is that it?" feeling when I finish reading them. It's almost as if they are rushed or a Part I of a trilogy.