on 15 January 2014
The core theme of this book, an unleashed viral epidemic with hints of espionage, terrorism, cultism and world-changing consequences, is fairly well tried and tested. I cannot pretend that the book does not in some ways follow the pattern of other books and tales from the same genre, but it does, despite this, do a good job of laying out the story line well and keeping the reader engaged and invested in the plot.
It is harsh and gritty without being gratuitously gory, encompasses strong characterization without turning the whole plot line into an ego trip, and weaves in the complexity of family relations, romance gone wrong and the real-life consequences of Frankenstein science gone awry... Along with the stories of the people who are left to deal with it, and who have very real concerns and agendas of their own.

For those that enjoy this type of story line, Final Epidemic is a solid book, which keeps the reader engaged to the end.
Four stars from me, for a good, well written story, and one that would make me buy further future books from the author; not a five star review as it was just ever so slightly lacking in the "wow" factor that would place it in a league of its own within its class.
on 30 December 2013
Enjoyable. Didn't grip me as much as a thriller like this ought to do but it's a good story, a bit unbelievable at times and with a slightly feeble ending. Worth reading, especially as it was a freebie. Not sure I'd have wanted to pay good money for it.
on 1 January 2014
Well, I got the flu during the 3 days it took me to read this. Needless to say, I realised at this point how very realistic this book was. The author has very cleverly tapped into the terrorist plot theme by using something very simple as the flu as their weapon of mass destruction. The awful thing is, it could happen and we as people are powerless against it unless a cure could be found. I want a house in the middle of nowhere n my food and supplies dropped off by parachutes. It's the only way one could feel safe if something like this was to happen. Excellent storyline, interesting characters and fast moving, kept me glued to it. I fell asleep face down on my kindle 2 nights running when I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I gave it 4/5 stars because I did find some of the punctuation and long explanations a bit confusing and sometimes not necessary. Overall though, the author has a brilliant imagination, a little too closet reality. Now, where did I put that catalogue for bio suits, I wonder if they do them in pink!
on 3 February 2014
I actually enjoyed this one, another one of those apocalyptic, terrorist releasing toxins on the world kind of books. It is a good read for holidays and train journeys and is easy to get into.

The hero is both believable and likeable, although you do wonder why he is actually involved at all! It is quite fast paced and at times gripping. The ending is a bit of a disappointment as the whole thing seems to run out of steam.
on 29 December 2013
Considering this book was on the free list, it is really worth downloading.
The writer builds some good characters and plots including a sub plot involving the CIA and its involvement in engineering deadly viruses.
The boo also includes a taster for Merkels latest book, which looks promising.
I would certainly read more from this author.
on 3 July 2014
I read this during a train ride and really didn't want to put it down when the journey finished. Finished it when I got home. It's been a while since I've done that with a book so well done Mr Merkel - I'm a very jaded reader and you kept my interest.
on 14 March 2014
What a horrific thought! This could really happen and it's frightening. It would be so easy for terrorists to do something like. It took a while to read this as time was short but when I did get to sit and read it was really thought provoking. Thankfully it was ok in the end!!
on 28 January 2014
A surprisingly good read, I was a little convened that it was going to mirror the bird flu virus too closely, but my fears were allayed.
The book is based around a Japanese cult, with tentacles reaching out across the globe.
With several espionage and counter espionage sub plots running throughout, it was a thinking read.
Fast paced and interesting, who are the intelligence agents and sleeper agents actually working for?
on 13 May 2014
I intend to post this same comment on every app and book review request until Amazon either separate apps and books from other purchases in this list or give us a button to ignore the request and delete it.
on 8 March 2014
I really enjoyed this book - it was well written and had very few spelling mistakes (which irritates me in other books). I would happily have paid for this book and will look out for others written by this author. Recommended.