Customer reviews

on 30 March 2014
Enjoyed reading this enough to want to buy second in series. There is no higher rating than this, for a reader to want to continue spending their money on a good book. Congrats to the author.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 September 2014
Set in a futuristic universe, The Conglomerate is desperate to get its hands on the energy krystiles found on a seemingly barbaric world. The native warlords have a hidden agenda and are willing to barter the krystle in order to get their hands on the MX The Conglomerate controls. Claire is considered the strongest of the MX; although some of her talents aren't common knowledge. She thinks she's been hired to help with negotiations, unaware that warlord leader Koda has actually bought her and has no intention of returning her to The Conglomerate.

As an MX Claire has to remain careful not to project her own emotions onto others; yet this barbarian culture has no understanding of how one should normally interact with an MX. Claire is strictly forbidden to ever touch someone unless specifically ordered to, yet these barbarians behave differently around her; especially Koda. When desire flares between them, it appears that the prophecy Koda believes will unfold in his lifetime has begun. Yet the secrets he hides from Claire result in some massive misunderstanding on her part, whilst her growing emotional and physical vulnerability around Koda finally take their toll as her mental shields shatter and she proves why she is known as the most powerful empath The Conglomerate has.

I initially felt sorry for Claire. She is left bewildered by her unfamiliar environment and unable to process the way the barbarians behaviour around her. Used to fear and loathing, Claire is soon opened to a possible new future where she and the other MX can not only be safe, but also live normal happy lives. What I couldn't quite grasp was Claire's reactions to certain events. Surely as a powerful empath she is able to discern the sincerity of someone? Also, there were times I found Koda unappealing; his fleeting remorse at how his actions affect Claire quickly brushed aside whilst his determination to see the prophecy through without any consideration as to how the MXs may react didn't exactly paint him in the best light. That aside, I enjoyed the introduction of other MX, and look forward to them each taking a lead role in future books.
on 16 June 2014
Dare I say it but I found this book to have an intelligence about it. Without denigrating my most beloved reading genre (romance in all its many forms), I will begrudgingly admit that they are sometimes a little cheesy and fairly easy reading and although it's true to say that this book has all the familiar marks; alpha males, seemingly fragile females and a need for and desire to protect, there is a more subtle way in which it is broached. At no point do you feel the author is spoon-feeding you and at times you are completely out of the loop and the suspense adds to the overall integrity of the story. I wouldn't call this book gritty but it's truly a very good exams of sci-go romance and i cannot wait to read the next instalment.
on 16 April 2014
Couldn't put it down almost missed my bus stop. Looking forward to the next one.Plenty of characters for lots more stories-can'twait.
on 24 May 2014
I wasn't really sure if I would get into the futuristic story but I did. I enjoyed the strong characters, hope to read more about them, but mostly I enjoyed the building of trust between claire and koda. Give this book a try, I did and really annoyed it.
on 10 December 2014
This book will rest in my 'Ok' collection until the day comes when I need file space and I willdelete it without another thought. I worked my way through it and a part of me enjoyed it but over the four days it took me to read it I never found myself wondering what would happen next, and I'm known for day dreaming about whatever story I'm reading.
This is an average story, I will not go into details on what its about …thats amazons job.
Not worth the£2:40 I paid but still I suppose I read it to the end.
on 16 May 2015
Did enjoy this book and would read others in the series, but and is a big BUT where is the next book. This one pub. in 2013.
on 18 October 2014
Great book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading. Will recommend it to others and can't wait to read the rest of the series.