on 4 December 2013
Well move over Bridget Jones and your diary, and "Welcome" Lorna Penfold and her blog!
This book takes you through the first year of Lorna's move from Brighton to Spain with her partner Alan Parks.
It is beautifully written and will touch the heart of any Mum or Dad, when not being handy for your children, even if your youngest is 19 years old. Lorna shares her emotions about the frustration of the highs and lows of breeding Alpaca's in their new home "The Olive MIll"
Of dealing with the language barrier, and learning quickly that "manana" doesn't just mean soon, it also covers tomorrow, next week/month etc. Also decorating and extending their home.
Lorna wears her heart on her sleeve, and tells you as it is. Her love of all animals also include the dogs, pot-bellied pig as well as the alpacas. With visits to the vet, and the problem of being the back of beyond without a reliable car.
This book would be a fantastic stocking filler for Christmas, or to give a friend, after you have read it yourself, of course. Its a book, you can chill with your coffee or tea, and find the day has disappeared as it is compelling reading. Happy reading.
on 9 June 2014
I didnt realise that most of this book has already been covered in Lorna's partners book ." Seriously Mum whats an Alpaca ? " probably because its a different surname and I didnt twig. As a result I found myself skipping huge swathes of this book as I already knew that Lornas daughter didn t settle and returned to England. I knew that the baby alpaca died, that they had trouble getting the car fixed, and that theres a problem with people dumping dogs when they no longer want to be bothered with them .

I was disappointed with this book . I thought it was something new not a story rehashed .
on 1 March 2016
I really enjoyed this Memoir - joining the Author on her journey from Brighton to Spain - worlds apart - but as illness means she is unable to continue with her successful dance classes in the UK - her and her partner move to Spain to another chapter in their lives together - It's not all sun sea and sangria in Spain - it's hard work too - especially when you're living off grid. When Lorna and her partner Alan find the 'ideal' location and begin their journey raising Alpacas - well - it's eye-opening. Joy, laughter and of course those times when 'everything' just seems to go wrong. It's well written - easy to read and a lovely 'journey' to join-in with.
on 14 June 2014
I wanted to like this book because the subject interested me but it is terribly written - a strange mixture of diary and personal dialogue directed at her friends (who were the original readers of her blog upon which the book is based). We meet lots of her ex-pat friends but learn almost nothing about them except their names, so it becomes a list of social occasions involving unknown characters. She credits an editor but at one point uses the work 'sweet' when she means suite and there are many occasions when adjectives are repeated within paragraphs and cliches abound. Above all it is dull. I'm sure they must have had lots of interesting an funny experiences along the way but you will not share them by reading this book.
on 3 January 2014
Lorna, you were always funny when we worked together, this book makes me realise how bonkers we all were!

You and Alan have worked so hard to settle in Spain, and glad that you have succeeded in your "Adventure". It's your humour that's helped pull you through the tough times, and made it good through the joyful times.
I've always been a fan of your blog from month one when you released it to your friends, and now it's so nice that I'll be able to carry on reading your current blogs and remember how far you have come looking back at this book.

Good luck in all your future "Adventures"!
on 12 April 2014
Feel like one of the family as Lorna takes you along on her journey as she transforms her life from being a successful dance teacher in Brighton, to becoming an alpaca farmer (and keeper of a lot of other animals besides) in rural Spain.
Told in the form of a blog, this isn't all fun and a bundle of laughs, though it is always told with an easy style and a good sense of humour. There are hard choices to make and the heart ache of a family separated. Plus there's the difficulty of life without mains electricity or water. And once there are animals, there's worry over their health, the vet never being far away. Helped by the excellent photographs, I felt sadness with Lorna, enjoyed the highs and grew to love the alpacas and the pot-bellied pig,
What made this book even more interesting was I've already read her husband's, Alan Park's, version of their life-changing move to Spain in "Seriously Mum, What's an Alpaca" and it was fascinating to read about the same move from a female perspective...the books complement rather than repeat each other. An inspiring and heart-warming book.
on 10 March 2014
I read this book on my daughter's kindle, she has read Alan's book first whereas I read this first. It was so good I read it in one sitting. I was surprised with regard to the content, not the typical move abroad story, and it turned out to be very enjoyable. I found this interesting because one of my daughters is 'trying out' living in Spain for a year so it's good to read different experiences of this. The book illustrates how everything doesn't always go to plan. It's set out in short chapters which make easy reading. Very informative about alpacas, interesting and enjoyable-I didn't know anything about these animals before. All the best for the future to Lorna and Alan.
on 28 January 2014
Having read the books of Lorna's other half (Seriously Mum, what's an Alpaca and Seriously Mum, where's that Donkey??) i wanted to read her side of the story...and i wasn't disappointed ...i was lead through there journey and laughed and also had a few tears at there trials and tribulations....but mostly i finished it feeling like i had made new friends...thankyou for sharing your lives with me x
on 24 January 2016
I won this book in a competition and really enjoyed it. It was a blog about the first year of a move from Brighton to Spain and was very emotional about leaving family behind and caring for animals. The book was well written and I kept picking it up every spare minute I had, to see what was happening next.Living in England we do not realise how hard it is to get anything done abroad with the leisurely pace of life. I highly recommend this for anyone who is thinking of settling abroad or who likes to read about different lifestyles.
on 5 March 2014
This was a good book and was a different perspective on the story as told by Alan Parks. I did think it would be just a repeat of the other books but it wasnt. Nice easy feel good read.