on 18 December 2013
I don't know as much as I should about publishing and promoting, which is why I do the research, but I do get the feeling these guys looked at traditional publishing and promoting, said nah, and, well, re-wrote the book. I do most of my reading on the train and have been getting odd looks from fellow passengers as I gasp and boggle and my eyes pop (I probably hardly need to add that I didn't know of them or their podcast previously, or the reaction wouldn't have been so intense?)(I did say I'm on the learning trail)

This is stupendous. Can I follow through with everything I learned? I am sure as hell going to try because it is fresh, exciting, effective and makes sense. If I can do it, I will come back and push the rating up to 5 stars. I bought the book because it was recommended by some very serious writer talent, and it may be the best buy I ever made. Watch this space.
on 8 May 2014
I have written several non fiction books but I have been an aspiring fiction author for over 30 years, I've even started writing books and binned them after 40,000 words or so as the task just seemed too daunting. After reading this book I really got fired up to write again and am already up to 10,000 words on my first serialized fiction novel.

What made the difference?

For one, the guys Johnny B Truant, Sean Platt and David Wright all write serialized novels i.e. They write a six or nine book series of books, each one self contained, so they're really novellas. They also write full length novels, but to me writing serialized novels just made so much sense and gave me that feeling of 'I can do this' instead of thinking 'Jeez, 120,000 words is just too much'.

The section on story beats really made it for me though. Again it was like an 'a-ha' moment and really pushed the book I'm writing forward. It sounds like a really simple idea but truly it is a really powerful idea.

They also go into the marketing of your book which every author should know about, but they do it in such a way that it's genuine heart marketing: reaching your fans in a genuine and honest way.

The business of writing is also covered which is just great.

I said this was one of four resources you need, here are all four:

1. This book
2. Stephen King's 'On Writing' book - I have read this 5 times over the last few years.
3. Scrivener (Amazing must have tool for all writers)
4. The Self Publishing Podcast (A video and audio podcast by the guys who wrote this book. It is funny, smart and just bloody amazing with some fantastic information for indie authors)

If you're into writing and willing to put in the work required this book and the resources above will definitely get you there.
on 4 December 2013
Sean and Johnny (and Dave) host a weekly podcast on self publishing. They share what they know, get people on to help them with stuff they don't know (but want to learn), and they are very clear that the way to make a living writing fiction is to write the best book you can, and then write another...and another...and another.

This book is a continuation of all they teach and talk about on the Self Publishing Podcast. If you're getting into self publishing - or have been working at it for a while - this should go alongside David Gaugran's books and Joanna Penn's book in the 'self publishing' shelf of your virtual library on your Kindle.

'Nuff said.
on 22 March 2014
I have bought many books/course about succeeding in the ebook market - this is, by far, the very best of them. In fact, this is the only book that you need. The authors tell you exactly what to do and how to do it - it doesn't involve spending hours on keyword research or social media! Thank goodness. They give examples throughout the book about how they've achieved success. You can check their books, and many reviews, to confirm their success. I have now changed my methods on how to proceed with my publishing based on the information in this book. I feel optimistic that I will succeed! This book is over 100,000 words and the authors give tremendous value, much more than I was expecting. Please consider buying this book before looking at any others in the market - you'll be so glad you did.
on 31 January 2014
I had high hopes for this book and it started strongly. Buried amongst the detail are several nuggets of information. Unfortunately, the content is repeated many, many times. I could edit this book myself down to around 10,000 words of wisdom. The writers clearly know their stuff but I just cant help but think they are holding back. The last chapter is a good example of this. Read the title. Understand the title. You dont need to buy the book.
on 21 March 2014
Really helpful, and I suspect a "go to" book many times in the future, informational book for those hoping to self-publish for the first time, or looking to do it quicker, better and with more results in the future.

It's got the same voice as the Self Publishing Podcasts, which are brought to us by the tremendous trio of Sean, Johhny and Dave.

There are also additional, and very helpful input, from people like Joanna Penn and Lexi Maxxwell.

For motivation alone you should read this book.
on 7 January 2014
The basic idea in this book is excellent and makes marketing sense. However the authors write at boring length about everything and anything. A good editor could easily give this book an extra star or two
on 8 May 2015
This was an excellent read, and I would highly recommend it to any self-published author or those thinking of self-publishing. I wish I had come across it a year ago as it would have saved me from making some silly mistakes.

There were two main takeaways from this book for me. 1. Affirmation that I'm doing a lot of the right things now and 2. I picked up lots of other ideas for things I am not doing, that I will now apply.

I loved the conversational style of the writing and it suited me to a T. The guys are very honest about their own experiences to date and open about their personal lives, and it helped me connect to the material. I also found it very motivational and inspirational.

There was some repetition within the first third of the book, but I just skimmed over those parts.

I really enjoyed the author interviews at the back.

All in all, an excellent book. I've already recommended it to several people I know who are getting ready to self-publish.

Actua Rating: 4.5 Stars
on 30 June 2015
This book directly led to me publishing my first novel this year after a long time of hanging about, not quite knowing what to do with my writing. I knew I wanted to publish, but this book gave me the right kind of encouraging kick up the butt to get on and do it. Easy to read, easy to follow and easy to get enthused about if, like me, you write a lot and want to continue to do so.
I bought the kindle version first and now have the paperback too, because it is that good (!) and also because I like to refer to it as a little dip-in-an-out guide now as I'm working on my second book... see? The advice works!

Seriously good advice, written in an approachable and funny way. Five stars, and thanks guys, you really helped me out.
on 3 November 2014
I wish I'd read this book years ago. Shame these talented guys only published it this year. But, to be fair to them, they've been pretty busy following their own advice. If you've never heard from them before, check them out on the Self-publishing Podcast.

I can't remember how I came across them, but it was probably via the podcast. I'm so glad I did though. I self-published my first novel The Face Stealer in late 2013 and since then have been working on new novels. Being an Indie Author though, is a relatively new phenomenon and quite how you're supposed to go from being an unknown writer, to one with readers and earning money, is somewhat of a mystery. There are plenty of people out there claiming to have all the answers; they know how to get an instant readership, become successful overnight, earn millions from one book. But, basically they're all full of it. The true secrets of becoming a successful Indie Author are contained in this book.

Actually, that's a lie. The true secret is emblazoned boldly on the cover.

There are no secrets to self-publishing success and anyone who doesn't want to work at it, is going to be pretty miserable. This book is a guide from being that naive author just starting out, to being a successful author. It's doable, if you're willing to put the hours in.

This book has been one of two I've read recently that has changed my attitude to being an Indie Author and I'm happy to recommend it to anyone wanting to turn a writing hobby, into a career.