on 23 January 2016
This is a superb app, self orientation via location services (and different observation points are easily set). Numerous switchable layers depending upon what you wish to see, everything clearly labelled making identification simple. The satellite setting is great, watching those little dots whizz across the night sky. There is a darkness setting which illuminates in red to preserve night vision. Even includes a 360 degree 'over the horizon' option (useful if you're waiting for something to appear). Would have received five stars but is now no longer free.
on 28 December 2013
Been using this great program on my p.c. for years , it's the best of all the astronomy utilities..to have it on the Kindle HD is a dream come true, don't for get to set your nearest location it then shows your sky in real time...It's brilliant ! ... essential app.
on 27 December 2013
However, I would prefer automatic movement as in other planet and sky based apps rather than having to manually move the sky map around. Other than this though, an excellent guide to the night sky.
on 26 December 2013
Brilliant app - I'm a complete beginner to 'apps' and tablets but this was amazingly easy to download and start using immediately - I will be out with the children learning about all the stars and planets that are visable. Absolutely incredible - you need this!
on 12 June 2014
I've tried lots of these apps, going through the free ones to try and find something sensible but they are all rubbish! This was app of the day so I got it and have not really stopped playing with it since!
on 28 December 2013
Highly configurable display with responsive control. Brilliant guide to the night sky on chosen day/time from chosen location. Ideal tool for introducing beginners to the signposts for navigating the night sky.
on 14 December 2015
Got it following download of Stellarium to PC. Fantastic app as stand alone or support to PC programme. Red version on app means you can walk outside with a phone not PC if it's really cold & 10 minutes is too long to adjust to the dark. Particular thanks also to Amazon. I had this app free once, then swapped phones. Didn't realise for ages how easy it was to go into previous orders & download it to new phone, possibly over a year later. For free again but worth buying also.
on 16 April 2016
You have to give this app 5 stars if only for the staggering amount of effort and expertise that must have gone into its development. The result is breathtaking if you have some sense of the complexity of calculation necessary to place in your hands flexible, powerful images of the night sky visible from any viewpoint on our planet at any time over the last and next few thousand years or so. I am also impressed at the ease at which my Kindle Fire handles the necessary processing so smoothly.
50 years ago I learned the constellations from a rotatable piece of plastic giving the "changing view of the night sky" - and the enjoyment of gazing at the stars has never diminished. Yes I am sure you could find find something to complain about this app (compared with the pc version for example) but I for one wouldn't dare.
Best features: the incredible time lapse movement showing the passage of the stars and the ability to view the night sky at any given date ( if you are asking yourself why anyone would want to know what the night sky looked like on, say, December 25th 1066 from Hastings, then you need to have your sense of wonder fine-tuned).
Wish list feature: the ability to set your own landscape. I believe this is possible on the pc version ( I don't have it ) but it is probably difficult. With the photographic capabilities of tablets, phones etc I would hope this feature could eventually make this app just perfect for those of us that are born star-gazers!
on 20 March 2017
Every home should have this app .It tells me all I need to know. I have it on computer and now on tablet - so easy to use anywhere. Had early problems on tablet ( so sent a question to Amazon - no reply yet - but was my fault I think )... when it wouldn't open on the shortcut icon. But now, by first entering library then open, it now works fine. All I need now, after what seems like weeks, months, is a clear sky to view what delights Stellarium tell us are up there!!!
on 22 April 2017
Perfectly adapted t mobile platform, I've had the desktop for a while now and this maintains that immersive feeling while also being easily accessible for pointing out planets while out with friends, or quick checking what will be viewable when. Very much recommend