on 25 October 2014
The CD came in a sleeve which I was happy with. The operating system itself was just like any other installer and the installation was very easy. The activation was successful. A authentic sticker also comes included. I understand that the machine you install this on means you can only reinstall it on that motherboard the machine has meaning you cannot upgrade this motherboard without losing the operating system and use it on another computer. But this is what you have to expect from OEM software. So all in all I am very happy especially with the fact that Windows 7 is a huge improvement over the slow Windows Vista I used for many years.
11 Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 April 2014
I was in two minds to either go for windows 8 or windows 7, from what I have seen of windows 8 I think it is more suited to tablet use,I prefer the traditional appearance of the windows desktop.
11 Comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 October 2016
No complaints about the seller, this does exactly what it says on the label - installs a functioning 64bit Windows 7 HP. Interestingly, the disc was identical to that supplied with another computer I had, so my £39 was essentially for the key. The fun started with the need to activate by phone - tedious but ok. If this was the only problem it would have been almost worth 5 stars. However the Windows Update just didn't work, hanging and then hogging the processor after it was stopped. Annoying, since update failure with Vista was the main reason for me buying it in the first place! A look online suggests this problem has become extremely common, at least for OEM (re-)installation, since active support for Win 7 ended and Windows 10 was released. Many previously posted "help" links to Microsoft are now redirected to the "buy Windows 10" page. Read into this what you will. I have finally reset Updates successfully, and for my wife's laptop too, which suffered a similar failure by using this- [...] if it's any help.
on 14 September 2016
Purchased this product because I built my own pc, and realised that I couldn't use it without an operating system.
Windows 7 is hands down the best operating system and it will always be like this. The product key worked like a charm.
I later upgraded to windows 10 with the free upgrade, I personally don't regret it but if I was someone else, I would recommend just sticking with windows 7 since it's the cheapest and best, since windows 10 is no longer free to download.
on 23 February 2016
Though labelled and licenced as OEM software it will install on a PC even if there is an existing OS on the drive. Like the full retail version of Windows 7 it contains the tools to replace the existing OS and save it as 'Old' or you can reformat the drive or change the partition structure before installing. No other software is required pre-install even though Microsoft states that you need to obtain installation tools first. As the software is OEM there is no Microsoft support in case of any issues.
on 6 April 2015
This is a great product, I have a Lenovo notebook style laptop with Windows 8 on it and because of the less processor etc, it was dire. I like the Wondows 8 format but the funcionality was just not good on this machine. Downgrading to Wiondows 7 was, in this case, an Upgrade in perfoormance and functionality. Only thing was the lack of drivers for the older operating systems i.e. the USB3 port for lenovo has only Windows 8/8.1 support as far as I can find anyway. but still this is not a major problem as I have two other USB2 which are fine.
Only one school bopy error in that I proudly held the shiny new Windows 7 disc in my hand and realised that I had no CD drive to put it in. Had to buy a portable drive ffor £20 (from Amazon) but can listen to my music collection as well now at least
Looking forward to the proposed Free upgrade to Windows 10 as long as Lenovo get their act together as get the drivers in place.
on 10 August 2015
Excellent product. Purchased for my dad so he could downgrade from windows 8 on his Lenovo PC. The great thing about buying one of these is it just comes with the bare bones windows without any bloatware put on by the computer manufacturers. The first time I tried it I couldn't get windows 7 to load but after playing about in the bios settings with some internet help I managed to change the boot and it loaded perfectly. Just a shame it wasn't as easy to downloaded the correct drivers from Lenovo as not all the correct drivers you need are available from windows update but got them in the end.

An interesting point is that my sister has a friend who works in IT and he said these windows 7 discs don't work on windows 8 computers. He was wrong in my case as it works perfectly. Thanks to Amazon to a quick delivery and excellent product.
on 9 October 2016
Needed to activate using automated smartphone call (maybe because I allowed it to go online to activate before I'd installed the drivers from the Gigabyte web site?)

When Windows 10 wouldn't boot after a crash (the Windows folder appeared to have disappeared) this was a good option. Now installed on SSD as well, boots in about 9 seconds (P15Fv2).
on 5 January 2015
Fantastic! Was worried what with all the negative reviews but took the plunge anyway. So glad I did, work a dream much faster than Vista Home premium and was a doddle to upgrade. Backed up all my important files to a separate hard drive. Put the disk in clicked upgrade and after about three hours and multiple restarts I had Windows 7. Had to reinstall iTunes but that was it everything works perfectly & it took a few day's for all the windows updates to install when I shut it down every night, but that wasn't a problem.
I've had my of from CyberPower systems for nearly ten years and it hasn't wo so good!!
on 9 August 2015
Bought from Amazon itself, this is a genuine OEM version. It installed & activated without any problem in my Parallels Desktop for Mac, then spent a long time updating.
I wanted to use the "GWX" tool to reserve Windows 10 for free & to do that I had to edit the registry - it was simple, I just googled & followed advice from a web page. Parallels have probably fixed this since I tried - I see they now have advice on their forum on the best way to update to 10. I haven't rushed to update to 10 but it's nice to have the option. Win 7 will have security updates until 2020, they say.