on 6 April 2014
I must admit I was astonished. This is a return to The Kaiser Chiefs' roots. In my opinion, it's on a par with Employment which is something I never expected. The fabulous tongue-in-cheek lyrics are still there, Vijay's drumming is alive'n'kickin'. The keyboards have matured - very similar to The Stranglers' - a good thing. The guitars and bass are even better rockier than earlier albums. "The Voice", Ricky's that is, has more ethereal quality than in previously released tracks and increasingly powerful and energetic. "The Factory Gates" is a fabulous choice for the opening track, and to be perfectly honest, the rest of the album keeps up the pace and the haunting track, "Roses" closes the album with giving you a lot of food for thought. If anyone was in danger of thinking "The Kaiser Chiefs" were past it - THINK AGAIN - they've definitely still got what it takes!!! Lookin' forward to the festival season to see them again! Keep on rockin' boys!
on 6 April 2014
This Album is Brilliant! I don't know much about music, I don't know what makes a song good or bad but as the title says 'I Like What I Like' and I like the Kaiser Chiefs. This review is just for fans, or possible fans, on the edge, wondering whether or not to purchase this Album. I am a massive fan of the Kaiser Chiefs but I will try to not be bias in my opinion. To be honest I really didn't like The Future is Medieval apart from 3 songs (those being 1. Child of the Jago 2. Man on Mars 3. Coming Up for Air) so I was worried that this Album might also fail to deliver, combine that with the bands original drummer having left and there is more than enough room left for fair doubt. But there is no need to fear, the Kaiser Chiefs have made a wonderful album that I am glued to 24/7. I love every song. And as for the drumming, well, its fantastic, its different in a way that still fits the band really well. So I will call their new drummer, bless him, one of the Chiefs.

People say that the band sounds different compared too their first and second albums and I agree but this is not a bad thing like so many people claim. Everything changes and a group of individuals music is no different. All anyone can do is try to see that it changes in the right way. Like I think this has.

There are two songs on this album which I think came right out of one of their first, second or third albums; The Factory Gates and Misery Company. The Albums single 'Coming Home' feels a bit out of place here but is still top notch but my favourite song by far is 'Ruffians On Parade', I cant stop listening to it! All the songs on this Album are Ace and, apart from my previously mentioned favourite, I have to give special mention to 'Meanwhile Up in Heaven' and 'Roses'.

Over all I think that this Album is suberb and would highly recommend it to any one who enjoys the Kaiser Chiefs earlier work. Peace. #alwaysonetypo
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2014
Have been a fan of the Kaisers since there first release whilst I was at college and have bought every album since. After the dud that was The Future is Medieval, the Kaisers have released probably their second best album.

The tracks are far more lively than the dull forgettable tracks on the last album, and they even have memorable chorus's. Coming Home, Bows and Arrows, Up in Heaven, Factory Gates are my personal favourites.

The only thing that lets the album down is the silly Bill Nighy poem, which whilst I can appreciate it, it's a shame that is attached to the Adam Ant Education and War track.

Looking forward to see what the future holds for the chiefs.
on 9 May 2016
It's moody, angry, and more than a bit cynical. A bit like me (sometimes). It's a return to form from one of my favourite bands, with catchy songs, storming drums and rocking guitars. The title gives away the theme of this album, and there are some corkers in the lyrics ("Making the difficult decisions, with politicians and children first" brings a cynical chuckle), and the songs stick really well to the topic.

My personal favourites are "Cannons" and "Meanwhile, Up in Heaven".
on 26 August 2015
I am not a big Chiefs fan but I know talent when I see it. This album takes me back to an industrial era when life was very different. A time without a voice. It moves through the century, from being oppressed being told what life is to the full horror of the world today. We all have a voice but do we really want to hear or care what someone else's opinion is? Celebrity, facebook, media hell!

Well done Kaiser Chiefs for thinking outside the box of dross!
on 3 February 2016
The album is full of high energy rock songs, though can't touch the first two releases by the Kaiser Chiefs.
Unfortunately the bonus songs I wanted are ONLY featured on the bonus MC which is pretty much useless if you don't have a tape cassette player.

The included gym bag is a fun idea, but flimsy cheaply made (in China).

All in all I have a bit of a feeling the band tried to compensate with gimmicky extras on this deluxe version. My buying recommendation goes to all die-hard fans, all others pick up the regular version...

Peace out
on 5 May 2016
Great words to some fine songs that are so true and easy to sing a long with. Ricky is a great singer/song writer / group. KC improve with each CD made. Made me want to purchase older CDs to see what I have been missing.
on 13 April 2014
This album is definitely more of a sequel to Yours Truly, Angry Mob than their last once which was a little more playful. The tone of the record is more angry and disaffected than on previous albums and songs such as Factory Gates, Cannons and Bows and Arrows are loud, propulsive songs which will have fans singing along and chanting at their live shows. Coming Home is a different sound from them and is all the better for it as it gives them more variety in their catalogue. Definitely an album of the year contender. Buy it if you like loud and raucous songs, plus Mr Wilson has never sounded so good. Bang on form.
on 12 April 2014
This is a very good album and worth a listen or 6... I have been listening again to their previous albums and I think this is as good as their first two if not better. For Chief fans, this is them sounding like they sound - doing what they do best. For people new to their music, you might buy this on the back of 'Coming Home' but won't be disappointed by the rest of the album and it may possibly inspire you to listen to more.
on 28 February 2018
I love the Kaiser Chiefs!