on 9 November 2013
Bought this for my Dad who's in his 80s and it fits the bill perfectly. He's been using his iPad for a while, and managed to upgrade it to iOS 7 without my help! However, his generation does like a physical reference manual which is clear without being patronising, and which uses analogies such as 'typewriters' which increase the clarity in a context that can be understood from his experience. As Dad can now look stuff up when stuck rather than wait until I am next visiting or on the telephone he can make quicker progress now. Recommended.
97 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2014
I bought my IOS7 ipad a month before the IOS7 edition of this guide was out, so read an IOS6 version of this guide "for Parents" in the interim. When my "for Seniors" guide arrived, I was disappointed to find that much of it was similar. I had expected basic content to cater for seniors not necessarily being au fait with iphones etc, just a basic computer at the most, and it doesn't.

For instance, it is very easy to highlight text inadvertently and be offered the option of copying it, but actually finding in the book how one might do this intentionally is another matter. There is a similar paucity of useful information in the section on the camera, with no information on:
- how to zoom when taking a picture (spread two fingers as in zooming on the ipad screen for any other application, which then brings up a zoom bar at the bottom -- the zoom is digital only, not optical, so loses resolution, producing a similar effect to cropping unzoomed picture)
- how to review a photo as soon as taken (a thumbnail appears bottom right once photo taken; tap on this to enlarge)

whilst it was inaccurate on selection of camera mode (swipe video/photo/square till setting of choice opposite yellow dot, no tapping needed or effective).

It did make me wonder if I should have bought the rival product instead.
11 people found this helpful
on 17 January 2014
The book is excellent and my wife has spent hours using it, having had a mini iPad for Christmas. The book arrived promptly and was well priced.
15 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 September 2014
Having been fumbling with an iPad for some time, I thought this guide would be useful. I confess to not having kept up with the rapid advances in this technological age apart from the basics. I found this well-written and easy to follow with step by step instructions along with colourful illustrations. I am making progress having grasped how it functions and feel comfortable dipping into the parts I need to know. Much of it I will probably never fully grasp but having said that I probably don't need to. At least I know where to look with more confidence.
on 12 June 2014
This is a very good introductory book to get "Seniors" started on the iPad. It also gives some hints on getting useful APPS that make life a little easier. The layout is clear with hints and tips on the side of the page. The topic sequence is also logical and provides useful ino. A very good publication but if you needed some more "esotric" info you will need to have access to either the Dummies Book or trawl the Apple Website. This book will provide you with all the "getting started" info you will need.
on 9 February 2015
my 3 star rating probably says more about me than it says about the book. I think that you almost need to know how to do things already in order to understand the instructions given within. The few things that i've looked up so far have not got a mention and i think its probably because they are too basic and it is assumed that i would not need to ask. I need a book that starts with the understanding that I really am a BEGINNER.
on 3 February 2015
I bought this for my mother who is 91 and she calls it her bible! She is now using her Ipad like a teenager! I no longer get the call to sort out how to do something as she can sort it out for herself with this fabulous, well written and easy to understand book - I even made a few discoveries after reading it!
on 15 December 2014
This is a good book for those of us who want a guidebook in print which is much easier to read than one on a computer screen. Only complaint is that no explanation was given on how to use streetview nor how to make the initial wifi conncection.
on 17 February 2018
It's supposed to be easy
on 12 December 2013
Arrived quickly, well presented, step by step approach which is just what's required. Good value at the reduced price, too.
9 people found this helpful