on 3 May 2018
I'd read the 2 previous Inspector Sondstrom Malmo novels, and found them quite entertaining. Anita as the lead character is not your average Scandi noire Inspector, but she does have many of their weaknesses. A missing husband, a drifter son and the ability to fall for almost any character that we all can see is not going to work.
She is surrounded by the usual mix in the polishus , friends, rivals, and downright enemies, all of whom surface in this volume. She also in this and the previous one has a junior sidekick called Hakim from an immigrant Moslem family which adds another dimension.
She lived part of her early life in the North of England, and this book shifts between the two locations.
There are 2 main storylines in this which are joined by another kill in the latter stages.
My only criticism is the speed with which everything is sorted in the last couple of chapters
That withstanding, I did enjoy this, would recommend the series and will look forward to book 4.
on 15 May 2017
Anita Sundstrom is an inspector with the Swedish police. After becoming too close to a suspect in a previous case, she has some serious work to do to regain her standing with her superiors. The irritating Westermark is crowing over her at every opportunity, and when her ex husband is implicated in a murder, he can't hold back his delight. An English investigator is washed up dead, and the body of a young woman is also found. The story of the two cases is very well told, with Anita returning to England again. Great descriptive writing.
on 10 February 2018
The one thing I can say for sure is that I am looking forward to the next novel by Torquil MacLeod. I enjoyed the ones I had read before, one right after the other and was glad when the Missing in Malmo came out. The writing is very fluid and never boring and the story unfolds in an easy way. It makes you think that you know the answers but it shocks you in the end with the outcome of the mistery. Very good indeed.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 December 2013
This is the third outing for Macleod's feisty Swedish police inspector, Anita Sundstrom, and it is another success.

British heir-hunter Graeme Todd has been tracking down the prospective legatees of the intestacy of an elderly widow from Cumbria, and his investigations take him to Malmo, where he takes the opportunity to follow the Wallander trail, like many another recent tourist. All well and good, until he goes missing. At this stage Anita is called in and starts to try to pick up the trail.

Meanwhile her own ex-husband, Bjorn, returns to Malmo and seeks her help to try and trace his most recent paramour, Greta Johansson, the latest in a long line of students whom he has seduced.

Before long both Graeme and Greta are found dead and, with Bjorn being fingered as prime suspect in Greta's murder, Anita is up against it.

Macleod writes in a very simple but engaging style, and keeps the tension without compromising either the plot's or the characters' plausibility
One person found this helpful
on 3 January 2014
I liked this book right from the first paragraph, and as the story progressed it kept me interested and guessing.
This is the first novel/book I have read by this author and on the strength of it have ordered another, in fact the first book in the series that she has written.
I am reading on my kindle.
I can't give five stars, because in my mind, that means perfection on every level, and almost every book I read always has just that 'thing' missing. There was a reference in the book somewhere about the differences in police 'procedure' between the U.K. and Sweden so I would be interested to know, what those are, so a comparison chart in the back of the book or something might be helpful.
on 20 December 2013
I enjoyed the third Anita Sundstrom story even more than the first two. All three are good, typical Scandanavian crime fiction stories but just a little bit less bleak than some. Bleak is often good, but not too much, all the time! A word of warning - do not be tempted to look at the last page before you get there! I hope that Mr MacLeod is busy working on number four and perhaps thinking about number five.
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2018
The 3rd book in the series but I struggled with it as I found it slightly boring and predictable. I read the whole book, but couldn't wait to finish it.
If there is a 4th book in the series, I don't think I will be reading it.
on 8 January 2016
If you enjoy Swedish crime this book Missing in Malmo and the first two in the series, Meet me in Malmo and Murder in Malmo are highly recommended reads. Anita Sundstrom the main detective character is fast becoming a well known name in crime books. First class crime stories and the personal side of Anita's life, makes the Malmo books not only equal to the big names in crime books, but in many instances superior.
Whereas most Scadinavian crime books are translated into English, these books are written first hand by the author, enabling his accurate words to be read.
Eagerly awaiting the fourth Malmo book due march 2016.
on 8 May 2014
As others, I think it best to read the books in order if only to enjoy the character and plot development, and Mr MacLeod really loves twisting his tales, putting his tongue in his cheek and pulling our legs.

(A Swedish detective chasing heirs in England? Why not, I hear you cry, it makes a nice change from red herring!)

Highly recommended with one teeny-tiny reservation: if - or rather when these books are translated into Swedish, since I think they probably need cheering up - will the puns still work?
on 16 May 2014
I've really enjoyed this series of books having read the first one really by accident as I had never heard of Torquil MacLeod (sorry!) Since then I've read the second and third and this one, the third, was a real nail biter and had some quite shocking outcomes. I hope there's another one in the pipeline. I particularly like the mix of English and Swedish cultures and I was drawn to it because I have enjoyed all the recent Scandinavian TV programmes like Wallander, The Bridge and Borgen. I would love to visit Malmo.