on 4 November 2016
I bought this product in March 2014 and barely used it over the course of 2 and a half years (the anti-calc cartridge has never needed to be changed which shows how often it's used.. maybe twice a month for 10 minutes). Went to use it today and the eco/power lights were flashing and the iron refuses to steam. I appreciate the product is out of warranty now, but given how infrequently it's been used I'd have expected Philips to stand behind the product and offer me a replacement or free repair, they did neither and have asked for £45 to send the iron back for repair. I could buy an reliable iron brand new for this price. I notice another reviewer here had this issue but because they were within the warranty period Philips replaced the product. Google this model you will find lots of other complaints about this issue (flashing eco/power buttons green and blue)
5 people found this helpful
on 7 October 2016
This iron allows you to easily iron without having to worry about the temperature, which it cleverly sets for you, or about having to carry out the regular scale cleaning some irons require. What could be easier?
The scale cleaning is done via a cartridge which you have to buy (around £20 for four). Even in an area with little water scale (we do not even have to descale our kettle) the cartridge lasts for 10 weeks and the iron will not work without one. The box the iron was delivered in proclaims a 5 year warranty against scale damage but bearing in mind the actions of the cartridge this is a pretty worthless warranty
The iron does not get hot enough to iron on name tags for school etc but the self temperature setting is great for ordinary ironing.
Bought the iron in May 2014 for £139.50. All has been well until recently when the trigger on the iron stating to feel loose. You have to press this trigger to activate the steam pump but as it became loose it was not always activating the pump so sometimes no steam and not ironing properly.
No problems I thought I have a 5 year warranty. No say Philips I have a 2 year warranty on mechanical parts and the problem I have is chargeable to rectify. The trigger is not a particularly robust fitting so would probably fail at some point (in my case just after the warranty has expired). I will keep nursing the iron to keep it going whilst I use up my scale cartridges or until the steam trigger stops working altogether.
Without the steam trigger problem I would have given the iron 4 or 5 stars but I think its quite expensive for just over 2 years ironing when in addition to the purchase price I have probably paid another £80 for scale cartridges.
Will not be replacing this with another Philips although I don't know if any other ironing product lasts any longer which means the replacement will probably be a lot cheaper
on 2 July 2015
Purchased my iron back in January, I hate ironing, loved the invented for 2 times faster ironing, add. I was very disappointed with the iron to start with , it took a long time to heat up before you could use it, and left shirts very damp, I had to hang them to dry off after ironing.
This week after 6 month's in a very hard water area, it beeped for the anti calc, changing. I can't believe the difference, it heats up in 2mins irons beautifully, and no wet shirts. Bad Anti calc cartridge maybe?
The thing I love best is you never burn anything, fantastic on garments with different fabric's and it is fast, only need to iron one side on the shirts. One point to think about it leave's the ironing board damp afterwards, then I get a puddle on the floor.
One person found this helpful
on 6 July 2015
If you want a fast iron do not buy this one. If you are worried about burning anything this is the iron for you!
I wish I had read the reviews which congratulate Philips on a great concept but point out that it does not really work in practice. The iron does not get hot enough and is not quick enough to adjust. Also more steams seems to be emitted when not ironing than when ironing: might be result of iron not keeping pace? I wished I had returned it.
I have an earlier generation Philips generator which I love but not this one.
on 26 February 2017
Blue & Green flashing lights of death immediately after warranty... despite paying $$$ extra for the cartridges... too short a life for the price.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2017
Good while it lasted but for £140 it should last. Mine broke down after just over 2 years with flashing green and blue light problem that several other reviewers have experienced. Philips want £50 to fix it and it takes 7-10 days so I'll have to buy a new iron now.
on 22 July 2017
DO NOT BUY!!! It last only max of 3 years if you are lucky! It was a good iron, but unfortunately it lasted only 2 and half year. Please read all the reviews about flushing light problem on other sites before you decide to buy this iron.
on 13 July 2015
Bought this as a replacement for a previous Philips steam iron that had been dropped and damaged. Thinking a steam generator would make short work of the ironing I splashed out on this one, what a waste of money! It takes even longer than with my previous iron, the cartridge needed replacing after 5 weeks and approx 6 baskets of ironing which is a ridiculously short time to need replacing and it does not get the creases out of anything heavier weight than a light cotton shirt, even though it generates enough steam (sporadically) to soak the ironing board cover and cause water to drip through onto the carpet below! I am so disappointed with this iron and wish I had bought the same one I had previously, at least that got the creases out!!
on 13 January 2016
Takes more than 2 minutes to heat up, the steam seems to be delayed from when you hold the button so ironing is slower than with other steam generating irons, more steam when you have finished and put to one side than when actually ironing. Probably wouldn't buy again
on 15 May 2014
This is the best iron yet. Over the years I have gone through a lot of irons with four people using it. But because this iron thinks for you as in what heat to use for each fabric it is just great and the sole plate stays clean. Very easy to use . Would definitely recommend it.
One person found this helpful