VINE VOICEon 22 December 2013
Firstly I have to admire any non historian brave enough to put any thoughts on The Great Debate out in print! Overall the book is well written and straight forward, timelines of events are set out clearly. I don't know if the book was curtailed for any reason, but I suppose the problem is that there is so much you 'could' say on the subject and often I found myself saying "yes, but...!" But, to be fair overall, I did seriously consider Garber's views and that surely can't be a bad thing.

There seem to be a few oddities going on - a few dates that didn't look right and Robert Brackenbury written variously as Roger Blackenbury! A think a key piece that was missing was the marriage negotiations with Portugal for both Richard III and Elizabeth of York - this surely sheds a different light on some of Garber's conclusions? I suppose my main quibble is that I by no means share the authors degree of probability that the bones in Westminster Abbey are those of the two princes - for starters, we don't know if these are the same bones referred to in the written account of the discovery of bones, they are actually where Thomas More said they were NOT (even if you can take any of More's supposed work on trust) and we don't know if they are the right period (there's no actual evidence for the supposed pieces of velvet) or even if they are male or female! Further analysis of these remains would answer at least some of these questions, so it puzzles me why the authorities won't allow it - it's not precisely disturbing a royal tomb, is it?

Overall, this isn't a bad book, but I do think that Annette Carson's 'Small Guide to the Great Debate' probably covers the same sort of ground rather better.
on 15 August 2014
A very interesting book. Mark Garber makes no claims to be an historian or an accomplished author, he is as he says a policeman used to investigating crime. The book is very concise, neatly set out and easy to follow. He makes some interesting new points and has some different perspectives on the historical events which seem quite plausible and certainly make you think. His naming of the perpetrator of the murder of the princes is also well thought out and reasoned. He deals with all the suspects one by one in a very Poirot like manner and gives his reasons for dismissing them until he is left with the one peson he feels comitted the crime. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it for what it is - an entertaining and thought provoking read.
on 20 January 2016
An interesting book on a subject I have read loads about. Its is very easy to read and sets out the suspects and their motives very well, I liked the way all the evidence was summed up and the conclusion given and can understand why Mr. Garber chose his killer and I'm sure it was either this person (don't want to give spoilers) or someone who did it for them, I'm equally sure about who didn't do it and agree with Mr. Garber. Having read lots on the subject I still picked up a couple of interesting points I wasn't already aware of. I have given it 4 out of 5 stars purely because there is no mention of the Portuguese marriage plans for both Richard 111 and Elizabeth of York, which in my opinion, casts some doubt of the relationship between these two. If you are new to this subject it is a very clear and informative start. I hope Mr. Garber changes his mind and writes another book on another historical whodunit!
on 10 September 2016
As a Ricardian I was intrigued about what this book could bring me. I have to admit being slightly concerned that an ex-copper should be writing about something I am clued up about.

I needn't have worried! I really like the way this book is laid out and each theory is dealt with. It's well-written and has a no-nonsense approach which is so refreshing.

Well done, Mark, you've done a great job!
on 16 May 2015
So many books on the same topic, yet this one came up with something totally new.
After over 500 years, that is a great achievement, in my opinion
Read it. It will certainly give you something to think about.
Now I can't wait for more........please.
on 4 January 2015
the book had a present day approach which was ok but not the answer I would have come up with /would like to had a better insight into pretender lambert sinnel as we could then have had a more interesting theory /I think maybe 1 child was the young king but the other was not /would love to see more reviews but thank you Mark for allowing us look at it your way . history lover.
on 21 June 2017
This is written so clearly and concisely, and the author really takes the time to explain his conclusions using his skills as an investigator. A fantastic read, although I'm not sure I agree with his conclusion I would certainly find it hard to argue as his case is set out so well. Went and bought his other book immediately!
on 14 October 2014
This is an interesting little novelty … the Princes in the Tower mystery given the modern day detective treatment. A short book, (89 pages), which is well presented. Quite useful as an aide-memoire for events and people surrounding this mystery. Doesn't really present anything I didn't already know and is very much the author's view. Interesting nonetheless.
on 12 August 2014
This was written in an engaging style which had all the hallmarks of a good police investigation. I liked the was no person involved was not considered as a suspect and I agree with the final outcome.
on 24 March 2014
I like the way this book was presented, it's format made the content easy to understand and follow. The arguments for and against each 'suspect' were put forward in a clear and concise way. I also like how this book did nit patronize the reader. I would look forward to more books by Mr Garber.