on 24 March 2015
While understanding some of the adverse comments I thoroughly enjoyed this performance. I may have been less irritated because I was not watching the Blu-Ray disc but the ordinary DVD. Also do not have DTS, I find it too overpowering, so was perfectly satisfied with Dolby Digital. I don't think I have ever watched a full performance of Carmina Burana. Much of the music was familiar to me but I got very hooked by the whole performance. I shall now certainly try and watch some other versions of the work but I shall be surprised if I then don't want to watch this again. It did have another bonus for me, unlike many other oratorios this had subtitles so I always knew what they were singing about.
on 2 January 2018
v. well pleased
on 12 August 2017
I cannot help you because I bought these films in order to give them to relatives as presents. I will know whether my gifts pleased them or not almost a month from now. Sorry. PM
on 17 June 2016
It's awesome!! I'm very happy to listen to this.
on 14 February 2014
I hardly know where to start: The picture quality is quite terrible, possibly the worst I have ever seen on a classical Blu-ray disc (although the equally terrible Tchaikovsky symphony set by Gergiev runs it close). multi-coloured lights on all sides distort everything as if one was in a pop concert. (Perhaps that was the idea but it is NOT what I was looking for!)The performers hair seem almost frosted and the instruments flash as if coated in minute diamonds! Skin at times flashes as if it was snake skin! Focus is extremely soft and at times almost deliberately out of focus and colour balance is very blue/pink. It has an extreme digital look that is very tiring on the eyes. The sound is only stereo, which for a work like Carmina Burana is simply inadequate to convey the power of this work. I thought my equipment must be at fault so tried the disc on another player and Sony TV but with the same effect. The orchestral playing and singing is fine as far as it goes but a Blu-ray performance of Carmina should be a total production and this is most certainly not that. It is sold at full price and would be bad value at a discount. I could hardly watch it through to the end before writing this review. How it ever got past basic quality approval is a mystery as EuroArts are usually very good, but they have completely lost the plot here. My advice is save your money.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 March 2014
Magnificent performance. Both bij Simon Rattle and the best orchestra in the world, the Berlin Philharmonic. Good quality sound and picture.
on 27 February 2014
This disc should never have been released on blu ray. There is no surround sound and the colours are garish
on 19 March 2014
I'm writing this review so that Carmina Burana fans who would enjoy this exhilarating performance are not unduly put off by the negative reviews. If you know what to expect, and are willing to accept it, it would make a fine addition to your Carmina Burana collection. The soloists are all magnificent, as are the orchestra and choirs. I really feel for the poor swan, the abbot deserves all the "wafnas" he gets, it's surprising anyone is left standing after the "bibits", and Sally Matthews succumbs so sweetly. For a normal concert performance (i.e. not semi-staged) it is very animated. The facial expressions and body language of the soloists, and often the choir, are so in keeping with what they are singing. It is a performance that really need to be watched, not just listened to.

As for the video quality, most of what you will read in the negative reviews is true. I fully understand why anyonne expecting normal Blu-ray quality would be very disappointed. It was recorded in 2004, pre Blu-ray. Although there are some HD recordings that date back to then, and before, they are not common and this is not one of them. I assume it was filmed in standard definition and upscaled for Blu-ray. There is some value in doing that - as long as the purchaser knows what to expect. Higher bit rate and more advanced compression result in fewer artefacts than there would be on DVD.

A last word. I've based my review on the HD stream available in the Berliner Philharmoniker's Digital Concert Hall to which I subscribe. The Blu-ray should be higher quality, it certainly shouldn't be any less.
on 2 March 2016
This is the famous Carmina Burana conducted by Simon Rattle with a train to catch...
Tempi are somewhat questionable and specially the last section where it calls for 'grandeur' but is performed way way too fast (hence the nickname rattle with a train to catch). For a better overall grip on Orff Carmina Burana DVD look somewhere else...
on 14 March 2014
Big names abound in this performance! Do you believe it, the BPO and Sir Simon, then Christian Gerhaher and Lawrence Brownlee with Sally Matthews (who is relatively 'less' well known among all others).
But can you believe it? This performance appeared under EMI around 10 years ago as CD and was a fiasco for utterly unacceptable bad sound.
Why on earth can it 'resuscitate' in another format (blu-ray) is totally beyond me.
Yes - apart from big names, there's really little to recommend.