Customer reviews

on 8 March 2017
Fabtastic - as with all KA books
on 14 August 2014
An internationally best-selling author signing up with a small publisher is great, theoretically. Bringing a large fan-base to a press who could do with more business - it's a nice match. And a niche publisher is more open to hiring an illustrator to create interior art for an adult book - that's pretty cool.

But the actuality of all this comes with its share of problems, namely exclusivity. Limited print runs, though audio and eBook versions are also available. However, Subterranean Press's eBooks seem to be geo-restricted, so I can't purchase and therefore can't read them.

I managed to get my mitts on a hardcover of Kelley Armstrong's BRAZEN, and was immediately a little lost. Admittedly, I haven't yet read the last two full-length Otherworld novels (SPELL BOUND and THIRTEEN), and those likely would've helped me with back-story. But while another Subterranean Kelley Armstrong book (HIDDEN) is self-contained, BRAZEN clearly isn't. The story's not even finished, though I imagine it continues in the upcoming BOUNTY HUNT - but whether it will conclude there is anyone's guess.

The issue with having side-characters in other books switching to main characters in their own is that they may not have the same affability. I enjoyed Nick on the side because of his distinctive personality, but in BRAZEN he's all grown up and settling down with one woman, and his voice could've been that of any other Otherworld character.

There's one genuinely shocking moment in the book, though. (Just wait 'til you see the attic!) But other than that, I struggled to connect with this novella. I'm really looking forward to BOUNTY HUNT, though - it'll be narrated by Reese, and urban fantasy could definitely do with more Australians ;-)
on 5 December 2013
Love, love, love it.
For all Otherworld fans this is a real treat, a catch up with old friends and the possibility of new beginnings.
Nick really doesn't get enough 'airtime' in the main series so a novella dedicated to him was a welcome read, and it didn't disappoint.
on 28 December 2013
So glad there has finally been a novella centred around Nick, in all the other books he's there but you dont get to know all that much about his personality. I would have liked a bit more of a conclusion in the storyline of one particular character, maybe that will come in a future Novella. The pack ones are definately my favoutite. Really enjoyed the novella, Kelley Armstrong as always is awesome!
on 23 January 2014
BRAZEN is the latest novella from Kelley Armstrong focusing on the werewolves of The Otherworld series. The storyline premise finds Nick Sorrentino on the hunt for Malcolm Danvers-one of the most powerful and dangerous werewolves known to the pack. Malcolm, once believed to have been killed by a rogue mutt, has returned in all of his former psychotic glory in the hopes of luring out those he believes betrayed him. As the father to the former alpha, Malcolm knows that the New York pack won't be far behind. But sending Nick is an insult as Malcolm knows that Nick is less than capable of going for the kill.

Malcolm's brief reappearance in THIRTEEN, the final Women of the Otherworld instalment, was a shock to readers as he was presumed but never proven deceased. BRAZEN will find Nick partnered with a half-demon mercenary whose field agents have gone missing and presumed dead; but Nick is reluctant when the mercenary is a beautiful woman who is a complete distraction on the job.

Many of the New York wolf pack including Reese, Noah, Elena and Clay make a brief appearance but the bulk of the storyline centres on Nick's hunt for Malcolm. Malcolm leaves a trail of dead bodies in his wake and Nick knows that one wrong move could find himself at the receiving end of one of Malcolm's deadly attacks.

BRAZEN is a storyline that ends without a resolution. I am a bit disappointed that we seem to be going around in circles as it pertains to Malcolm and his ability to a evade capture with every encounter. Nick was given an opportunity to take down Malcolm but a moment of hesitation finds Malcolm on the run once again. Kelley Armstrong is obviously planning several more short stories and novellas where our favorite wolf pack goes on the hunt for a psychotic killer and in the end, there is only one wolf who should be allowed to take down the man who has destroyed so many lives.

copy was gifted to me
on 19 January 2015
I cant find the words to describe how happy I am to have been able to delve back into Armstrong's Otherworld series, even if it was just a small journey. I love this series. Like really LOVE this series. So much that my heart broke when Armstrong announced it would end with Thirteen... and then the teeny tiny pieces started to fix back together when she said she would continue to write novellas. I could literally spend the rest of my life reading stories about the characters from this series.

Nick Sorrentino is one of my favourite species. Werewolf, but Nick himself doesn't often get a lot of page time. For want of a better word he is a lesser character. Always in the background helping out but never really trusted to do anything by himself. Until now. And I loved every single minute of it.
The Nick we find in this book, chasing after Malcolm is not the Nick we have come to expect from previous stories. Yes Nick is there to help in a fight, but he's not usually the seeking it out.

I loved that we got to learn a little more about Malcolm and despite the fact that he isnt the nicest of wolves out there I do hope we get to see him more.. Especially after what happened to him in this one.

As is usual of Armstrongs work, this book pulls you in, wraps its arms around you like a hug from an old friend and makes you feel part of the story. I bet you cant read this without your heart racing in the action parts.. and a few ahem other parts too.
on 20 December 2013
Brilliant read would love to read more about Nick and Ness so hope Kelley writes another novel on what happens next.
on 5 February 2015
It was great to read a story centred around Nick and to get to know him better. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next. Kelley Armstrong is a fantastic writer and her otherworld series is fantastic. This book is part of that series and although they can all be read as stand alone books you'll get a deeper knowledge of the characters if you read the entire series. I would recommend this series highly. Truly a great read.
on 25 May 2014
Brilliantly written as always. Kelly Armstrong is one of my favourite authors and yet again she didn't disappoint. It was wonderful to finally have a novella centered around Nick as he's always there in the background. For fans of the series this is a great addition, for newcomers it's well worth a read, as are all the other novels in this Otherworld series.
on 29 March 2014
It was a very quick read but I really enjoyed it, I can't get enough of Kelleys Armstrong's wolves but it was also a nice change to see some more of Nick. Highlight of the story for me was definitely seeing Malcolm, after finding about him in 13 I've been excited to see more of him.