Customer reviews

The Royal Sessions
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 November 2015
As someone who enjoyed the music of Free and Bad Company in his teens and then later developed a love of Memphis Soul this collection interested me. Was it a marriage made in heaven? Sadly I think not. For me it never hits any heights. The singing and musicianship is good throughout but never inspired. I think it may have been a mistake to cover so many well known songs.These versions don't match up to the originals. That's not a criticism of Paul Rodgers as such. I'd expect the same result if, and I know it's hypothetical, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding or James Carr had attempted 'My Brother Jake'. Perhaps if all involved had looked for some less well known songs from the genre and Rodgers had spent more time 'living' with those songs before presenting the ones best suited to his voice and delivery then this could have been a really good offering. I'd expect Rodgers fans to enjoy this more than Memphis Soul fans. Go ahead and make up your own mind. The release with the bonus DVD may add sufficient value to justify the purchase and push this closer to the 4-star category.
on 9 April 2014
I have always been a fan of Pauls since his Free days but I was a little apprehensive of this album,had he bit of a bit to much.Being a blue eyed soul boy from the sixties who's idols were Otis,Sam & Dave,Etta etc could he pull it off ?Well Paul you did a good job of it,especially taking on what always thought to me female songs I can't stand the rain andWalk on by and doing them proud.So whilst the Otis songs will never be bettered in my mind at least Paul did not make a mess of them.So if you like to hear some clssic Stax style R&B done slightly different from the originals but still with soul buy this.Well done son you didn't let me down.
on 21 February 2014
Opinion is split on this - and I fall in the camp that finds it quite a disappointment. Paul I think tries too hard to "sing" rather than letting rip. When you think of what Otis did to some of the selections here, this disc seems a little pointless. Well it's ok but decidedly MOR. Good try I guess.
3 people found this helpful
on 17 June 2015
I am a great Paul Rodgers fan and this CD is Paul singing his favourites. More a reflective CD and don't we all go there over 60 but an odd upbeat song with a bit of brass would liven it up. Best song for me is " I thank you" and after a few listens the Roger's voice grows on you but not bad value at £7.
One person found this helpful
on 21 March 2014
Paul Rodgers has also had a soulful rock voice but this time he's gone 'all soul'. If you like Stax type of music, then you'll probably enjoy this. I'm happy that Paul has tried this and that he may even do something else in this direction, as long as he doesn't eventually forget his rock roots again. Interesting DVD too.
on 10 November 2016
Pressie for husband. Very ood value.....Hubby delighted with it
One person found this helpful
on 29 January 2014
Hmm mixed reviews on this but as a lover of the original songs and the early Paul Rodgers of free and some of bad company this is perfect match with the cream of guys played on this stuff. Biggest tribute is to say he sounds as though he enjoys the songs and understand what make good r'n'b,
on 2 February 2018
great stuff.
on 9 April 2014
Although a good enough performance his Live Blues orientated issue is vastly superior and more suited to his voice, and the typeb of band he works well with.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 April 2016
I have liked him ever since the 60s when I heard the song ALL RIGHT NOW by the group he was in called FREE