Platform: PC|Change

on 21 January 2014
As a long-time user of serif products, hugely disappointed with this.

Upgraded from webplus x6, excited by the prospect of html5, and initially the package looks pretty impressive. Not quite as many new features as I'd have liked, but it runs faster than the old version.

Loaded my existing website (designed in webplus x6) into the software and attempted to preview it, and the program crashed. Attempted to upload it, and it crashed. Attempted to run the website check software...and it crashed.

So I've paid £52.50 for an unusable piece of software. One good thing about serif - they offer a 30 day money-back guarantee, so I guess if their technical support people can't fix the problem within 30 days, I can get a refund.

On reflection I guess I've made the mistake of being an early adopter. Should have waited for serif to fix the bugs and reduce the price further.

So I guess what I'm saying is, avoid until later in 2014 when hopefully all the bugs are fixed.
___

Just a little postscript to my review, written 3 months later... Having downloaded all the updates, I'm happy to say that Webplus X7 now runs in a pretty stable way, and hasn't crashed for a while. There still seem to be some issues with updating websites from previous versions, especially on complex menus, but they don't crash it any more - just don't work as smoothly as I'd like. As for the websites - they work much better across a range of devices than they did before. So overall its been worth it...Just don't like being the testbed!
on 10 February 2014
I am starting an online business and thought I could develop my website using the Serif Webplus program I already had and had used before. Wrong! Windows 8 would not allow it to upload. I purchased Webplus X7 (another Serif product) hoping that it would do the trick.. Wonderful. My website is now up and running. Even better, I could not get the Paypal html fragment to work but Serif Webplus X7 has its own built in Paypal script. The site now works perfectly, including the e-commerce side of it. Michael
on 4 March 2015
Bought this software 24th August 2014. Called Serif 'helpline' 3rd March 2015 for help with the 'Publish to Web' facility which has never worked. Told product was 'no longer supported' because X7 was discontinued sometime in November 2014 and support was withdrawn 3 months later, late February 2015. Told that if I paid £49.99 to upgrade to X8, help would be provided.

In short, after six months Serif won't help fix broken software that cost £80, unless I pay another £50. I am sure you can see the problem here so I will limit myself to two comments.

First, this product is for serious but not professional users. As a 'serious' user I have invested a good deal of time in my site and this software. I am not a 'professional' so I paid a good price knowing I would need support. I wanted to stick with a brand because familiar software is less time consuming. I FEEL SERIF HAVE PUT ME 'OUT ON A LIMB' AND I FEEL VERY LET DOWN. Second, I note that Serif Webplus X7 is still being offerred on Amazon. I have life and a bed top go to, so I haven't read all the surrounding market text. However, I am sure it won't say, that if you buy X7 today, your brand new software will be completely unsupported. BANDIT COUNTRY!

I went for Webplus over Net Objects which is free. I am still having to use FileZilla which is also free. I did this because I thought with Serif I would have somewhere to turn when things got beyond me. Looks like I got that wrong - Serif aren't very good really.
on 28 February 2014
Serif WebPlus X7 is severely disappointing and unfortunately unusable. X7 is Serif’s Windows 8 moment. Why? First this is a stripped down version with considerably less in terms of advanced graphic and typographic features than X6 or X4 (both of which I have used). The serious concern is that a large website, made in X4, and another website built only 6 months ago in WebPlus X6, were rendered incompatible and obsolescent by opening them in X7. The latter website – for an academic journal, with over 120 files/pages, password control, downloadable PDFs for subscribers – was in effect wrecked (fortunately I kept a back-up copy). And yes, every few minutes when building a site I use Serif’s inbuilt “site checker” to ensure everything is running smoothly and nothing is not going to cause problems. First, virtually all the text boxes were different. Features in X4 and X6 were left out of X7 (text box links, text scrolling, text box margins, etc.) rendering all text boxes and text not fitting. Many hyperlinks were simply lost – links that work perfectly well in X6 and the published site. WebPlus X7 may have new fashionable features and templates (I never use templates – I hand craft websites, and having used Adobe software for 20 years I know my way around, and am aware of the potential pitfalls, of computerized graphic design!). My solution was to uninstall WebPlus X7, and go back to using X6. Serif appear to have stepped backwards. Yes, X7 is probably good for someone who wants to make a small website of a few pages from a template without thinking about detail and presentation. There are some good features (not necessarily the fashionable sliders, which are just glorified photo galleries, etc.) in fact the basic structure for previewing sites is vastly improved. However, like Windows 8 this is a reduced and simplistic programme that regards the past as if it no longer exists. What is the way forward for me and thousands of serious and professional uses? I would suggest to Serif that X7 should be rebranded as “WebPlus Elements” or “WebPlus Basic” and targeted at a group who want simple basic, small, websites; then rebrand X6 – updating it, retaining the advanced features for hand-crafting, for large serious websites – as “Serif WebPlus A1.” And, yes, double the price for “WebPlus A1” to £180 (that is nothing compared to Adobe Dreamweaver costing hundreds of pounds). Whatever happens Serif needs to decide whether they want to retain the serious professional user, or stay selling a £10 Christmas-Card-maker-software on Freeview!
on 19 December 2015
Very good software at a fraction of the cost of other website software. Installation to up and running website in a matter of hours. Finally bought this t try and get a better looking website, I just couldn't get the right look with the software I was using biggest problem I couldn't get the site central. Bought this despite some negative comments, and I am so happy I did. Although I did copy some of the content from my original website it only took a couple of evenings to launch the new site, and it uploaded straight away without any issues at all. I am very pleased with the results. The only criticism I would have is the lack of templates nothing wowed me like I had hoped but I did find one I was happy with so depends what you are looking for. You can buy templates from the Serif site at about £14. For the money of the software can't really blame them for charging for better pro templates.
on 2 December 2014
Good facilities for web design and photo manipulation. Only one small problem. use of web resources required a lowering of my Windows security setting to default. Took some time to work this out and Serif were unable to help. They now know and I presume they will advise new customers of this potential problem. Overall I am very pleased with it. Just that one minor hiccup.
on 20 February 2014
I built my website [...] using this WebPlus. I found it extremely easy to use and packed full of features. I'd previously been a user of WebPlus X6. . X7 allowed me to open my X6 files and save them as X7. This then gave me access to all the new features of X7 including HTML 5. It was very straightforward.

Prior to using the Serif WebPlus I was using Adobe Dreamweaver. I was spending hours doing things that could be done in minutes using WebPlus. WebPlus software is very intuitive.

For very large enterprise something like Dreamweaver may be the software to use, but for most SME I would recommend WebPlus hands down.
on 25 August 2016
I have seen a lot of disappointing reviews about this product but in my own experience as a web designer I have never had an issue with webplus products. I have used them for years and upgraded to the latest versions as they come out. Webplus has everything that I need for building sites from simple one pagers to elaborate multi page ecommerce sites. I haven't encountered a site build yet that webplus can't resolve. I have experience in html coding so the ability to write my own script in webplus is a bonus (sometimes you may need to drop in elements that are not pre packed with webplus but are quite capable of being dropped in). Publishing sites to the web has always been easy whether it's with serif or a third party. I have also been able to transfer sites from third party hosts to webplus and take over the design so no issues there. All in all I cannot fault webplus for me personally. It does the job for me.
on 24 January 2014
The product works quite well but there is unhelpful customer support after purchase. It seems everything is done to smooth the path for the company rather than provide a service for the customer. Will not buy another Serif product.
on 12 May 2014
Good web program, fantastic for starter, does not like to upload ftp, had to use stand alone ftp upload

e mail system in web plus seem only to work if you use web plus system.

over all as much as you would want to pay for this type pf program