on 12 March 2014
I've not had a gamecube or anything. I played Tales of Graces and liked it. I loved Tales of Xillia.

So I bought this knowing it was old but remastered (I was playing Lightning Returns but took a break and popped this on) - And its lovely!!!

Its proper good story telling and i've stopped playing the game with the shiny graphics and went back to rpg basics. Its not cutting edge graphics but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm really enjoying it. Its well worth trying if you like rpgs. Its got a nice feeling to it. It makes me feel as happy as Final Fantasy 7 did (my first ever rpg). You know what....It sounds stupid - but it does make me happy and it might make you happy too.
on 19 April 2014
Excellent remake of an old classic, the game has barely aged and is still thoroughly enjoyable. This game set the bar to a new high since its release and no other game has come close to meeting it. The sequel although not as enjoyable is a nice add on but you will most likely ignore it.
on 14 March 2014
Tales of Symphonia, the original game, is fantastic and rightfully deserves a place in the top RPGs ever made. It was lovingly crafted, had a great cast, a wonderful battle system, a good story, and a huge world. In short, it was and still is one of the best JRPGs ever made. On its own it is easily a five-star game.

Little of that has changed in the remaster, but the remaster itself is somewhat lazy. Character models are blurry and low-resolution, and the environments are a very mixed bag - some looking almost Vesperia-esque, and some looking no better than their GameCube originals. But the worst example of laziness in this remaster is the battle framerate - what was 60fps in the original GameCube version is, for no good reason, only 30fps on the vastly more powerful PS3...

The reason for this is simple - the remaster is of the Japan-only PlayStation 2 version, which had a cut framerate to be able to run on the PS2. Of course, they really should have restored the 60fps, but the new content goes at least some way to fixing that. Extra Artes, Mystic Artes, and costumes all play a part, and they are appreciated.

Remaster-wise, the only big advantage comes in the anime cutscenes - and they look truly fantastic. The Japanese voice track is, in my opinion, a bit grating (it's unusual for an English dub to be better acted than the Japanese version, but I study Japanese and Lloyd comes across as being... arrogant). It's also a shame that they didn't voice act the Skits in English, but I suppose it would have been hard to get the original cast back after so long.

As for Dawn of the New World... don't play it. Buy this set for the original game and forget Dawn of the New World. Believe me, you aren't missing very much. It's a better remaster for sure, but it's a 2/5 game and that's being generous.

But still, play Symphonia. even with a cut battle framerate, It's great :)
on 5 March 2014
I never played the original release of this game but I have played all the other tales games on ps3 and loved each one and this is no exception.
on 15 May 2015
I had a such a blast playing this game that I was fed up when I actually completed it the plot is very good
and I found myself investing emotionally into the cast even some of baddies, I struggled a bit with the battle
system at first but when the full party is made available its a piece of cake, the soundtrack is great especially
the battle music which I ended up humming along to while beating up enemies, for amount of content in the
game it is great value. The sequel was not bad and it was great to see what the original cast was up to
and the capture monsters idea was good, the new cast members where a bit annoying at first but got better as the
game went on and some of the side content gets repetitive. Overall the first part makes the price great value and the
sequel adds extra icing to the cake.
on 4 July 2016
I really like this game. There is just something about it that is very appealing. I like the story and characters, the graphics are nice and pretty with a good battle system too. The music however is one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. There must be about over ten tracks in this game that I love listening too. Very good game and I highly recommend this to RPG players. 8/10.
on 6 May 2014
Love this game although I haven't finished it yet. It reminds me of the early Final Fantasy games that I have enjoyed in the past. Any one who likes a good old fashioned RPG will enjoy playing this game and the other Tales games.
on 11 March 2014
This is a really great game I really enjoyed it when I had it for gamecube! And its a really Great HD Remaster :D
on 26 March 2014
Tales of Symphonia is one of the best JRPGs of it's time, it may not have had the best graphics but the story, music and battle system is great! The second game isn't bad either, the graphics are better because it was originally made for the Wii but most places are repeated only with new story, some new main characters and different order you're supposed to visit the places in. ( They both take place in the same world but the later game takes place a few years after the first one. )

Both English and Japanese voice tracks, choose the one you prefer. The original game apparently has less voices content in English but the second game is completely English voiced. Including the skits ( out of cutscene conversions between the characters. Most which are helpful and sometimes random but very funny! )

If you're a Tales of fan you do NOT want to miss these. The games may be a little older but both are very much worth playing and why not do it in HD! Can't go wrong!
on 10 March 2014
The two games in Tales of Symphonia Chronicles definitely feel their age, but that’s far outweighed by the charm and engaging battle system of the original Tales of Symphonia. The best I can say about Dawn of the New World is that it’s a nice extra, but it’s clear which is the better game here. Still, Chronicles as a whole is incredibly enjoyable and certainly a worthy HD port of a beloved JRPG.

See one answered question